Mark XVIII versus Omega Moonwatch
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Mark XVIII versus Omega Moonwatch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mark XVIII versus Omega Moonwatch

Wondering what the group thinks about these two watches in terms of quality of build and aesthetics?

From an aesthetics perspective, looking for something that works with casual wear and with a suit at work. Something elegant and understated but not so simple that it could be mistaken for any old cheapo fashion watch.

Re: Mark XVIII versus Omega Moonwatch

None of the above looks like a cheap fashion watch, they are both not quite flashy but IMO the Speedmaster Professional is more classic.

IWC started to lose its mission after the MkXV, if you are looking for a Mark watch I would look for a used XV or even better a XII.

Quote Originally Posted by cuthbert View Post
    None of the above looks like a cheap fashion watch, they are both not quite flashy but IMO the Speedmaster Professional is more classic.

IWC started to lose its mission after the MkXV, if you are looking for a Mark watch I would look for a used XV or even better a XII.
    x2

I own a Speedy and a Mk17, the Mk (irrespective of its number) is a watch that, unless you know what you're looking at, looks cheap. Well it doesn't look cheap so much as it doesn't look expensive.

For that look I'd get a Speedy and put it on a leather strap.
    MediumRB likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Have owned both--completely different watches, and no, the IWC does not look "cheap" (I've owned several in the Mark series from the XII on, as well as several Ingenieur, and even a Portuguese--ALL well built, most rugged, all kept great time--but all are quite expensive to service if it needs to go to IWC). The Omega has a lot of advocates here, more than it deserves, I think--it does look nice, it is accurate, but many are manual winds, and many (all?) have dial information, such as the chronograph sub dials and a "tachymetre" scale that just about no one ever needs, much less uses. I would get the IWC.

Moderator Public Forum soaking.fused's Avatar

Moonwatch gets my vote if you don't mind a manual movement.

The MKXVIII dial layout goes back to the older designs and works better than the two prior gens imho. The IWC dials are among the best and are so crisp. I wear mine at the office with a dress shirt or with jeans and T the weekend. Works great in all environments and gets a lot of compliments. The blue dial of the LPP is absolutely fantastic and must be seen in person. I took a loupe to it and it’s just wow
    I am told that the Patek dial maker(now owned by Patek) still makes the IWC blue dials.
    The mvt is the very nice and reliable 2892-A initially made to IWC specs.
    The Speedy is a classic for sure and a beautiful Watch. Can’t go wrong either way. Probably has slightly better proportions. But as one kinda do-it-all Watch, i prefer the IWC.
    propforall likes this.
    | ALPINA Tribute to KM710 | AVI-8 P-51 Mustang | BLANCPAIN Bathyscaphe | BREITLING Jupiter Pilot | CASIO G-SHOCK DW5600 Rasta, DW5600HR, & GW-M6610 | DOXA 1200t Pro | ERNST & BENZ custom Chronosport | FARER Lander & Pointing II LE #2/100 GMT's, Pendine Chrono | GSD 3A pilot | MERCER Madison | NODUS Retrospect | NORQAIN Adventure Sport | OMEGA Seamaster cal. 1040 | SCURFA Bell Diver 1 PVD, DiverOne Gen I LE PVD Auto, DiverOne GenII X 9 :) | SEIKO Turtles SPB087 & SRP777 | SINN 103 | SPINNACKER Fleuss, Hull Riviera, & Hull Chrono II | SWATCH Irony Chrono | TOCKr Skytrain, DDAY + Air Defenders Blue, Panda LE, Hulk Rosegold, Black PVD | TRASKA Freediver | TUDOR North Flag | SEIKO MM200 SPB087 | UNDONE AquaBlack Custom | ZENITH Cronometro CP2 WWP LE #43/50[B] |

Preordered: ASTOR & BANKS SeaRanger

The IWC will be less expensive to service, in theory.
    "Nothing happens until something moves." -Albert Einstein
    Damasko | Hamilton | Longines | Mido | Orient | Oris | Rolex | Timex

heb

That's why those two models are so popular and why they have been a staple of IWC and Omega for 50+ years--because they look cheap on-wrist.

Good luck with your choice,

heb

Please don’t ask for a well thought out answer because that bit of my brain goes off duty when watches are involved. My heart recommends the Moon Watch.

Quote Originally Posted by sticky View Post
    Please don’t ask for a well thought out answer because that bit of my brain goes off duty when watches are involved. My heart recommends the Moon Watch.

Same here. IWC makes some beautiful watches (Portuguese springs to mind) but their MK series tributes aren't them IMHO. They aren't supposed to be since they pay tribute to a simple looking military issue navigation watch from the late 40's and early 50's. I would never pay the kind of money IWC is asking for one of their MK watches. I can understand chasing a real MK XI even though the prices have skyrocketed just in the past 15 years or so and I bet most people who buy the modern watches really want the original.

I don't get tired looking at my Speedmaster. It is still a pretty conservative looking watch but it is stylish. It is also thin and light. I can forget I am wearing if it is off the bracelet. It is a 1950's watch and still looks modern.

I also have a MK XI tribute watch with a stainless case and a 2824-2 movement that I paid $170 for and can't see the value proposition for paying $3K more for a little nicer one.
    cuthbert likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information