The Martian....Watch spotting spoiler alert!
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: The Martian....Watch spotting spoiler alert!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

The Martian....Watch spotting spoiler alert!

Just came from seeing The Martian, the new release this weekend from Director Ridley Scott. First and foremost, let me say, I really liked the film. Recommend you see it, good stuff. That said, as a watch enthusiast I went into the movie thinking there might be the odd Speedmaster spotting. Nope. You get a pretty deliberate look at Matt Damon's timepiece late in the movie and......its......a........Hamilton!? I mean, hey, I like Hamiltons, but, well, really? A NASA selection for Mars missions? Suppose just a matter of Hollywood product placement....I did find this...... The Martian EN | Hamilton Watch. Ridley, I really liked your film, but would have LOVED it with a well placed Speedmaster!

Gruen Curvex, 1960 Elgin DuraPower, 1964 Rolex Day Date 1803, 1968 Omega Chronostop, 1969 Rolex Explorer Project (1005 case, 1570 movement), 1970 Rolex 6694, 1972 Heuer Autavia 11630, 1972 Rolex Datejust 1600, 1974 Rolex Datejust 1603, 1977 Seiko
    6139 6002, Pouge, 1977 Seiko 6138 0030 Speed Timer, 1979 Speedmaster Professional, 1980 Le Jour 7203, 1984 Seiko 6309 7290, 1991 Wenger 0605 Fieldwatch, 1996 Rolex Submariner 14060, 1998 Schumacher Speedmaster, 2000 TAG Heuer F1, 2001 Rolex GMT-Master II 16710, 2003 Rolex Explorer II 16570, 2013 Seiko Yobokies 300 MoD SKX007, 2016 Seiko SRPA21 PADI Diver w/MoDs, 2018 Seiko Yobokies Soxa MoD SKX007.

Re: The Martian....Watch spotting spoiler alert!

I think it looked like a Hamilton on thr wrist in the movie

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
    I want to be a ONE watch guy!!

For the 2004 landings, the real JPL guys had mechanical watches made to run 24 hrs, 39.5 minutes per day, a Mars sol, made by a nearby watchmaker named Garo Anserlian at Executive Jewelers in Montrose. Some Mars mission scientists still have them but the Spirit/Opportunity teams were scheduled on Mars time, for a while, and there were no iPhones!!

I still want a Mars time watch...

Also really liked the movie! (Especially Mackenzie Davis and Michael Peña.)

rfortson, OH Redhawk and raincity like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Moderator Public Forum soaking.fused's Avatar

Saw this movie and also enjoyed the book. I spotted the Below Zero and there were other Hamilton watches worn.

Yep, just saw it. One, and one only, perfect wrist shot of the Hamilton.

The Martian Movie Watch: Matt Damon Wears A Hamilton Khaki Navy BeLOWZERO | aBlogtoWatch

Yup great movie, just watched it last night.
    I actually was expecting an Omega X-33;

But it's difficult to say based on the length of the mission. However I imagine by then battery life will be extended by quite some time.
    Taking a mechanical watch to Mars, would you have to regulate it to Mars level of gravity? I just see too many issues with the accuracy of the time on a different planet with so many different factors. Thinner atmosphere, different gravitational pull I imagine would both play some part in affecting accuracy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just got back from the movie, which I highly recommend. I was looking at wrists every chance I got, and I was a little surprised when I saw the Hamilton below zero on Matt Damon's wrist. Bit of an odd choice. Given the fact that Ridley Scott had a hand in making two Seiko models famous in Aliens, it would have been cool to see Seiko in there imo. I was really expecting to see at least one Speedmaster. The movie is incredible though.

I knew the Hamilton was going to show up because I've been hanging around the Hamilton website recently, so I almost laughed when it had its closeup.

Honestly, looking at the watches currently qualified for use in space and on EVAs, the most likely candidate would have been a G-Shock

What was weirdest about the Hamilton was not that it was there, but that it was at all useful. It was an unmodified Hammy, but the Martian Sol is about 40 minutes longer than an Earth day. The watch would have been useless because it was on a 24 hour cycle. Maybe a dual time watch with Earth time on the subdial and a 24h+40minutes main dial would have been much more plausible. I wonder why Hamilton couldn't have bothered to at least make a custom dial and not tarnish the record of an otherwise scientifically flawless movie.

Sent via carrier pigeon ASCII
    Last edited by Brickbats and Adiabats; October 5th, 2015 at 17:22.
    Coriolanus likes this.
    Tick-tock, tick-tock banana rock.

Have: Citizen Eco-Drive BM7170-53L, Citizen Signature Grand Classic, Seiko Solar SNE095P2, Junghans Meister Handaufzug, Victorinox Infantry Automatic 24863, Victorinox Infantry Vintage 241519, Casio G-Shock 2638, Seiko SARB065 "Cocktail Time", Seiko SARB017 Alpinist, Hamilton Day-Date H70505833
    Current serious wants: EPOS Emotion ref. 3391 (moonphase), Nomos Orion, Orient Polaris GMT

Quote Originally Posted by Speardane View Post
    I was looking at wrists every chance I got, and I was a little surprised when I saw the Hamilton below zero on Matt Damon's wrist. Bit of an odd choice. Given the fact that Ridley Scott had a hand in making two Seiko models famous in Aliens, it would have been cool to see Seiko in there imo.
    Aliens was a James Cameron movie, not a Ridley Scott one.

I love how in the photos, Hamilton pretends to have lume. Good one guys!!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information