Maurice Lacroix masterpiece collections compare to COSC watches, i need help guys!
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Maurice Lacroix masterpiece collections compare to COSC watches, i need help guys!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Maurice Lacroix masterpiece collections compare to COSC watches, i need help guys!

Hi guys,

Iím a newbie and I have fall in love with Maurice lacroix watch. Iím planning to get myself a ML watch from the masterpiece series and I have a few questions regarding this brand (their masterpiece collections) and hope you all can enlighten me ^^.

1. Does ML masterpiece collections consider a luxury/high end watches?
    2. None of the ML lacroix masterpiece collections are COSC certified, does this mean that their quality are bad? Though I've read a lot of good articles about their in house movements. But how does this compare to a COSC certified watches?
    3. What do you all think about this model, Maurice Lacroix Calendrier Retrograde (MP7068-SS001-390)? itís quite an old model but I love the design.

Cheers,

Wendy

Re: Maurice Lacroix masterpiece collections compare to COSC watches, i need help guys!

I don't consider ML to be high end, and because I don't care too much about them my knowledge on their line of watches is slim.
    In this bracket you might want a Consider the JLC master calendar or GO Senator Power Reserve display .
    Good Luck !

Regards
    Jorge
    Patek Phillippe - Audemars Piguet - Rolex

Re: Maurice Lacroix masterpiece collections compare to COSC watches, i need help guys!

If you like a particular watch -- I personally would not eliminate the purchase of that piece just because of whether or not it fits in the category of high end. I like some of the ML offerings and at some point may get one. I think fewer and fewer watches are COSC certified and also do not think this should be a major factor in your decision. Jorge's suggestions are also good choices-- but it is something you must like.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

JLC is not COSC, what do you think of them?
    Stellite likes this.

ML's new Masterpiece watches are manufacture movements with very modern finishing and design. I would certainly call them a luxury watch, but they do not really compete with the traditional high-end watches usually discussed in this forum. But they are close.

Older Masterpiece watches use top-grade ETA movements and could not at all be considered high-end, though they are quite nicely made. I have a Masterpiece Phase de Lune Tonneau and it uses an ETA 2824 with a calendar module. I would call it a premium etablisseur piece, similar to many watches in the middle for figures and lower.

I would not make a decision based on whether people here think it is high-end, though. They are ver nice watches if the suit your taste.

Rick "who thinks ML is an interesting company" Denney
    Zenith: Captain Chronograph 03.2110.400*; Cartier: Santos 100 XL Concord: Mariner, C1 Big-Date, C1 v.2 Chronograph; Ebel: Chronosport 1134901, Tekton 9137L83*, Type E 9137C41* (*=COSC)
    Ebel: 1911 BTR 9137L73* and 9139L71*, 1911 1120L41*, 1911 Senior 9080241, Brasilias 9120M41 (2), Aquatica 500 9120K61, Classic Hexagon GMT 9301F61, Classic 100 LE 9120R41; Baume & Mercier: Capeland World-Timer
    Heuer: Carrera 1964 Re-Edition CS3110; Maurice Lacroix: Masterpiece MP6439; "Seagull": 1963 Reissue cal. ST19; Seiko: Black Monster SRP307; Poljot: Sturmanskie cal. 3133; Tissot: T-Touch Lew and Huey: Acciona
    Vintage: JLC: ref. 2953, ca. 1946; Longines: Flagship cal 285; Zodiac: SST cal. 86, Aerospace GMT cal. 72; Favre-Leuba: cal. 253; Tianjin: Dong Feng cal. ST5; Elgin: Gr. 152 (1898), Gr. 384 (1919); Ebel: ca. 1962 ref. 9214955
    WUS: ST5 Project Watches (Black and Blue), F72.2014.DG3804 (Gray and Cream); Swatch: Sistem 51 Blue; TNT: Rattrapante cal. Rochat 7750+RAT-1

Does the masterpiece Cinq Aiguilles use an in-house movement? in the description it says ML159, but I couldn't find ML159 in the list of in-house movements on their website. Also, what would be a good discount for this brand? In grey market, they are going for 50% - 80%off for masterpiece collection and you know that they are still making a good profit from it. So is their profit margin 75%+??

The Cinq Aiguilles uses, I believe, a Sellitta SW300 base movement, which is essentially an ETA 2892. If I'm mistaken, then it uses a 2892 itself. I have a pair of ML's and like them very much. The new Masterpiece line is all in house, if that's important to you, but if you like one of the older models, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

However, check the dimensions carefully--some of the ones that are more than a couple of years old, especially the complicated ones, are both pretty large diameter and pretty thick. Others are not--I have a Masterpiece Tradition GMT that is very nice, and (for me) a pretty much ideal size at 40mm x 12mm.

Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    The Cinq Aiguilles uses, I believe, a Sellitta SW300 base movement, which is essentially an ETA 2892. If I'm mistaken, then it uses a 2892 itself. I have a pair of ML's and like them very much. The new Masterpiece line is all in house, if that's important to you, but if you like one of the older models, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

However, check the dimensions carefully--some of the ones that are more than a couple of years old, especially the complicated ones, are both pretty large diameter and pretty thick. Others are not--I have a Masterpiece Tradition GMT that is very nice, and (for me) a pretty much ideal size at 40mm x 12mm.
    So isn't the Cinq Aiguilles part of the masterpiece line? I know it uses a ML159, but i'm not sure if this is an in-house movement or a modified ETA

Quote Originally Posted by wolfevrn View Post
    So isn't the Cinq Aiguilles part of the masterpiece line? I know it uses a ML159, but i'm not sure if this is an in-house movement or a modified ETA
    it's a little confusing--there is the Masterpiece line, which is their most expensive and uses in house movements, and the Masterpiece Tradition line, which is less expensive and uses Sellitta movements. The ML159 is not an in house. I really wish companies would stop playing those games, where you have to research like crazy to find out what the movement really is. IMO there's absolutely no shame in using a quality sourced movement like ETA or Sellitta.

In any case, ML is a young company, but they seem to me to be pretty high quality, with some nice traditional designs, and some very original ones, too. I would love to get one of their Square Seconds models someday. Here's my GMT:

Name:  Maurice LeCroix GMT Medium.JPG
Views: 674
Size:  115.9 KB
    dbostedo likes this.

Modified ETA usually means a fancy rotor.
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfevrn View Post

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information