Maurice Lacroix Masterpiece Phase De Lune - Is this a keeper?
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Maurice Lacroix Masterpiece Phase De Lune - Is this a keeper?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Maurice Lacroix Masterpiece Phase De Lune - Is this a keeper?

Hi all,

Should I keep this watch or sell it?

I feel like selling it to raise funds for another watch.

I know Askmen's The Watch Snob likes Maurice Lacroix, but I also know of other 'Snobs' that don't.

What is the general view of Maurice Lacroix?

My watch looks like a poor man's JLC Moonphase Triple Date or Blancpain Villeret Moonphase (They do look the same from afar). In fact, a watch dealer asked if my watch was a Blancpain when he glanced at my watch. Honestly, I felt a little sick in my stomach when he asked me that. I do not want to wear something that tries to pass itself off (not intentionally) as something else. Hopefully someone understands what I'm feeling.

What will you do if you are in my position?

Cheers!
    Last edited by lx384; December 4th, 2011 at 19:26.
    CitizenM likes this.

Re: Maurice Lacroix Masterpiece Phase De Lune - Is this a keeper?

Not my style but if you like dressy watches like then , yes it is a keeper :)

Do you care that much on what other people think; keep it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I do not care about what people think. But I care about if I'm keeping a good watch or not. I was actually looking for the discontinued JLC moonphase triple date, but ended up with this because it's so hard to source for the JLC. It does look alike, but I want the JLC. I got something that looked like what I wanted but not exactly the piece I want. Thus the struggle to keep it.

So I hope to receive some critique of the watch and brand in terms of quality and value. Because even though this isn't the exact piece I want, it might be of good value to keep it.

I
    Quote Originally Posted by lx384 View Post

Should I keep this watch or sell it?

I feel like selling it to raise funds for another watch.

I know Askmen's The Watch Snob likes Maurice Lacroix, but I also know of other 'Snobs' that don't.

What is the general view of Maurice Lacroix?

Cheers!
    Let me try to piece together your position: You really want the JLC. You'd sacrifice this watch for the JLC. You don't like that it's very (very very!) similar to the Blancpain. I think if what you want is the JLC, then you should search for one, difficult as it may be.

If you need to unload this before springing for the JLC, you'll have to sell it. As for me, I really like the watch and would be happy to have one -- I wouldn't turn down the Blancpain either, though I wouldn't want to pay 10K for it. I've had a couple Maurice Lacroix watches and I do like them a lot. Their quality and finish is pretty good, and they have some nice classic, and some new edgier designs. They are now doing a lot with manufacture movements.

But my bottom line is this: If it's sort-of-close to what you want, it's not what you want.
    Last edited by dbakiva; November 30th, 2011 at 00:03.

I like it. The reason it looks like a lot of other watches is because it is a lot of other watches. Case in point:

Name:  oris-artix-complication_2.jpg
Views: 6003
Size:  56.6 KB

Don't worry about the JLC now. It's a better watch. When you get some additional money, if you still want it, you can liquidate the ML for a good sum and buy what you really want. No big deal. You'll lose a few hundred if you bought it new in the end. Pennies against a JLC.
    Duder likes this.

lvt

Quote Originally Posted by lx384 View Post
    Honestly, I felt a little sick in my stomach when he asked me that. I do not want to wear something that tries to pass itself off (not intentionally) as something else. Hopefully someone understands what I'm feeling.

If you do care about what others think, sell it and buy a Rolex.
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

Quote Originally Posted by lvt View Post
    If you do care about what others think, sell it and buy a Rolex.
    I don't think he's saying he needs other people to be impressed with his financial status or what he's wearing, but he doesn't want to be perceived as someone trying to impress others with fake jewelry.

Ultimately, they're both instances of caring about what other people think, but if I have him right, buying a (legit) Rolex may not further his ends.

Nothing wrong with a ML I have owned a couple of them. It does sound like you want the real thing so sell it and spend the extra $7k if thats what you feel is the right thing. Me personally I would be happy with the ml. many companies do the moon phase date with a DD module like yours.
    Perrelet Seacraft Chrono
    Oris Aquis Chrono
    Perrelet Seacraft GM
    Edox ERC Chronorally
    Seiko Monster
    Sumo

It's a fine watch with interesting complications from a respected maker. How many of your acquaintances would fail to agree? I'd be happy to keep it and wear it. If you do decide to get a JLC someday, that's the time to think about selling - not now. Maybe you'll want a different JLC by then anyway.
    Just my $0.02, but I think watches are for wearing and enjoyment, not flipping.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information