Maurice Lacroix Masterpiece Squelette - Page 3
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Maurice Lacroix Masterpiece Squelette

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Maurice Lacroix Masterpiece Squelette

Comparing the ML to traditional skeleton like the the Benzinger is like comparing a baroque cathedral to modern architecture. The ML is a truly modern design in an industry that revels in ancient decoration (on the movement, at least). I had the same feeling looking at a recent Carl F. Bucherer.

Maurice Lacroix is a relative newbie and seems to have to do much more than other established brands to get the same recognition. But that drives the price down and improves value for those who can see what's there.

Even as a traditional etablisseur, ML excels. The top-grade 2824 in my Masterpiece (cal. ML37) shows higher finish levels than I've seen on any other 2824-driven watch. Maybe ETA did it for them, but at least they asked for it. And the fit and finish on the silver dial is excellent.

Like all innovative designs, this one wont appeal to everyone. But Maurice Lacroix is certainly not taking the easy road.

Rick "impressed" Denney
    Last edited by Rdenney; October 7th, 2013 at 17:59.
    Dangeruss3 likes this.
    Zenith: Captain Chronograph 03.2110.400*; Cartier: Santos 100 XL Concord: Mariner, C1 Big-Date, C1 v.2 Chronograph; Ebel: Chronosport 1134901, Tekton 9137L83*, Type E 9137C41* (*=COSC)
    Ebel: 1911 BTR 9137L73* and 9139L71*, 1911 1120L41*, 1911 Senior 9080241, Brasilias 9120M41 (2), Aquatica 500 9120K61, Classic Hexagon GMT 9301F61, Classic 100 LE 9120R41; Baume & Mercier: Capeland World-Timer
    Heuer: Carrera 1964 Re-Edition CS3110; Maurice Lacroix: Masterpiece MP6439; "Seagull": 1963 Reissue cal. ST19; Seiko: Black Monster SRP307; Poljot: Sturmanskie cal. 3133; Tissot: T-Touch Lew and Huey: Acciona
    Vintage: JLC: ref. 2953, ca. 1946; Longines: Flagship cal 285; Zodiac: SST cal. 86, Aerospace GMT cal. 72; Favre-Leuba: cal. 253; Tianjin: Dong Feng cal. ST5; Elgin: Gr. 152 (1898), Gr. 384 (1919); Ebel: ca. 1962 ref. 9214955
    WUS: ST5 Project Watches (Black and Blue), F72.2014.DG3804 (Gray and Cream); Swatch: Sistem 51 Blue; TNT: Rattrapante cal. Rochat 7750+RAT-1

Re: Maurice Lacroix Masterpiece Squelette

Looks fantastic! Congratulations.

I have the old tradition Squelette in steel and the only reason I don't wear it more often is because the thing is too damn loud! I can hear the movement ticking 2 or 3 metres away in a quiet room! Something I did not pick up on in the relatively noisy showroom.

I still like the watch but would consider replacing it with this new model (In house movement is always a draw and I do rather like the modern design too) if it doesn't sound like ticking bomb like the old model. Would be interested to know if you think yours is unusually loud or just average.

Quote Originally Posted by tempocalypse View Post

I have the old tradition Squelette in steel and the only reason I don't wear it more often is because the thing is too damn loud! I can hear the movement ticking 2 or 3 metres away in a quiet room! Something I did not pick up on in the relatively noisy showroom.

I still like the watch but would consider replacing it with this new model (In house movement is always a draw and I do rather like the modern design too) if it doesn't sound like ticking bomb like the old model. Would be interested to know if you think yours is unusually loud or just average.
    haha the new one is still pretty loud..i dig it though

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

That's very interesting, I wonder what makes it so loud.

I don't think I ever noticed mine being particularly loud, but then again, I don't know if I ever really paid attention to it in a completely silent room.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeylacroix View Post
    Oh well, guess I will have to judge for myself in a showroom. The new Tissot Squelette also looks interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenM View Post
    That's very interesting, I wonder what makes it so loud.
    Must be the case I guess. Although I've never been up close with another ETA6497 watch. Could be the movement itself is loud and is usually muffled behind the dials. Not really sure.

Quote Originally Posted by natesen View Post
    I don't think I ever noticed mine being particularly loud, but then again, I don't know if I ever really paid attention to it in a completely silent room.
    Room doesn't need to be completely silent. I could (just about) hear it at arms length standing next to the running washing machine! Maybe it's just me lol.
    Last edited by tempocalypse; April 2nd, 2014 at 20:12.

Quote Originally Posted by tempocalypse View Post

Quote Originally Posted by mikeylacroix View Post
    Strange...I've honestly never heard mine. Coincidentally I'm wearing it today, and had to put it up to my ear to hear it. I thought my hearing was pretty good, but maybe I'm just getting old.

Bell & Ross BR01-92 Heritage Bell & Ross BR03-88 Breitling Navitimer 01 LE
    Maurice Lacroix Masterpiece Squelette Panerai PAM 177 • Panerai PAM 188
    Perrelet Regulator Retrograde Perrelet Turbine XL • Tag Heuer Monaco 24

Next time I visit Timeless, I'll wind one up and see if I can hear it. Usually the volume is the result of the escapement's design (in my experience).

Very nice watch ! Huge congrats and enjoy !

Quote Originally Posted by Dangeruss3 View Post
    Strange...I've honestly never heard mine. Coincidentally I'm wearing it today, and had to put it up to my ear to hear it. I thought my hearing was pretty good, but maybe I'm just getting old.
    Looks like nothing for it but to try myself.

I have since seen another comment about the loudness of the Tissot Squelette in another thread (same 6497 movement as the older Maurice Squelette Tradition). Someone noted that the 6497 was louder than most and the double sapphire of a skeleton doesn't help. Hopefully even if the new Maurice is loud, as per Mikeylacroix's comment, it won't be AS loud.

Anyway, I have other watches to acquire first before replacing/getting another skeleton.

Enjoy yours!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information