Max Bill Automatic by Junghans Questions
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bidle

Thread: Max Bill Automatic by Junghans Questions

Hi all,

I've recently been captivated by the below Junghans:

Junghans Watches USA: 027/4002.44 Max Bill Automatic by Junghans

However, I have some concerns regarding the crystal. I have heard that it is very prone to scratches, and that with time it may even decay. As I am very obsessive over little marks on my watches, I was wondering if anyone could convince me one way or the other?

Alternatively, I am open to suggestions for similar watches (i.e. domed Bauhaus with minimalist designs) in the same price range (~$1,000). Nomos is generally out of my range for the appropriately sized models (~37-40mm).

Thanks!

Take a look at the Hamilton Intramatic 38mm, shown here as part of a review on A Blog to Watch.

Attachment 1013645

I've handled one in the metal, and it is a very nice homage to the Bauhaus design in a modern watch. It retails under $900, which seems a good price for a watch with an elaboree 2892, even without the seconds hand and with minimal decoration. It's quite elegant from the front.

Rick "thinking Hammy got this one right" Denney
    Last edited by Rdenney; March 19th, 2013 at 02:31.
    Zenith: Captain Chronograph 03.2110.400*; Cartier: Santos 100 XL Concord: Mariner, C1 Big-Date, C1 v.2 Chronograph; Ebel: Chronosport 1134901, Tekton 9137L83*, Type E 9137C41* (*=COSC)
    Ebel: 1911 BTR 9137L73* and 9139L71*, 1911 1120L41*, 1911 Senior 9080241, Brasilias 9120M41 (2), Aquatica 500 9120K61, Classic Hexagon GMT 9301F61, Classic 100 LE 9120R41; Baume & Mercier: Capeland World-Timer
    Heuer: Carrera 1964 Re-Edition CS3110; Maurice Lacroix: Masterpiece MP6439; "Seagull": 1963 Reissue cal. ST19; Seiko: Black Monster SRP307; Poljot: Sturmanskie cal. 3133; Tissot: T-Touch Lew and Huey: Acciona
    Vintage: JLC: ref. 2953, ca. 1946; Longines: Flagship cal 285; Zodiac: SST cal. 86, Aerospace GMT cal. 72; Favre-Leuba: cal. 253; Tianjin: Dong Feng cal. ST5; Elgin: Gr. 152 (1898), Gr. 384 (1919); Ebel: ca. 1962 ref. 9214955
    WUS: ST5 Project Watches (Black and Blue), F72.2014.DG3804 (Gray and Cream); Swatch: Sistem 51 Blue; TNT: Rattrapante cal. Rochat 7750+RAT-1

Re: Max Bill Automatic by Junghans Questions

Thanks for the suggestion, Rdenny. I've seen that Hamilton in person before, and it seems like a great watch. But I'm still partial to the Max Bill's thin hour markings and green dots.

Any other suggestions?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Junkers makes a Max Bill "homage" in case you're interested:

Attachment 1014313
    Junkers Bauhaus

There are some Zeno watches you might like too:

Zeno Watch Basel / Swiss Watch Manufacturing Since 1922 - Retro - Bauhaus

Acrylic crystals were for many years the standard material, and they still are used on many watches, particularly vintage homages. They can scratch, but they can also be buffed out pretty easily. I wouldn't be overly concerned. I sometimes wear a 30 year old watch with an acrylic crystal. If it scratches, I can rub it with polywatch, and if need be, it can be replaced fairly cheaply.

BTW, I think the Max Bill designs are beautiful.
    Last edited by dbakiva; March 19th, 2013 at 15:12.
    Over a half century of "just the right amount of odd."

I would buy the Max Bill!!

In 2011 they improved the plexi with a special coating which makes the plexi better resistant for scratches also it has a nicer glow to it! So personally I wouldn't worry to much about it. And if you can't buff-out the scratches you can simply replace the plexi one day.

The classic, convex plexiglass makes a key contribution to the flat appearance of the case, emphasising the style and paying tribute to the design approach of Max Bill. In keeping with its own demands for quality and innovation, Junghans has joined forces with the German technological association GfO (Gesellschaft für Oberflächentechnik) to apply the proven SICRALAN MRL UV coating process to watch glass. This coating creates a functional and aesthetic added value thanks to increased scratch resistance, improved UV and chemical resistance and a more intensive deep gloss.

I would only also look at the version without date as I think it does the design more justice. Here two pictures of mine:

Junghans Max Bill 06 by Bidle, on Flickr

Junghans Max Bill 12 by Bidle, on Flickr
    Last edited by Bidle; March 19th, 2013 at 16:55.
    GlennO likes this.
    Feel free to check out and make comments on my photo's: Click to see most of my watches!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Bidle, your comments regarding the new scratch-resistant technology are encouraging. Have you had any trouble with scratches on your Max Bill?

I do prefer the simplicity of the no-date version, but as I intend to use this as a dress watch for work, I find the date to be a functional feature.

Ooh, that's a pretty watch. I especially like the mesh strap. Is there a reason it's not just sapphire at that price point? Does the plexiglass bring anything interesting?

Quote Originally Posted by td50 View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Bidle, your comments regarding the new scratch-resistant technology are encouraging. Have you had any trouble with scratches on your Max Bill?

I do prefer the simplicity of the no-date version, but as I intend to use this as a dress watch for work, I find the date to be a functional feature.
    No problems at all, but then again I'm pretty careful with my watches. Regarding the date, just buy another watch with date.
    Feel free to check out and make comments on my photo's: Click to see most of my watches!

Quote Originally Posted by Likestheshiny View Post
    Ooh, that's a pretty watch. I especially like the mesh strap. Is there a reason it's not just sapphire at that price point? Does the plexiglass bring anything interesting?
    Of-course it does, it gives the watch a complete different look!