Mechanical Watch Durability

Thread: Mechanical Watch Durability

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Mechanical Watch Durability

Hi,
    I heard of Mechanical Watch horror stories like :-
    i) The longer it run the more inaccurate it is.
    ii) Less realiable than Quartz watch.Easy to spoil.
    iii) Service is very expensive.
    iv) After few years using need to send to repair to correct the inaccuracy.
    v) Heard of the second tick will move 2 sec each time it move after few years of using.
    vi) Need to wear it everyday 24hrs a day like wearing a ring.

If this is true, then those mechanical watch need more time to take care of it and not as rugged as quartz watch.

Is this a myth?

Regards,
    Tiulei

Re: Mechanical Watch Durability

I would like to know the same thing. I am trying to decide between a quartz and an automatic. Same watch, I just need to decide on the movement.

Mind to share what watch and model are you deciding

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I am considering the Marathon SAR automatic or the TSAR quartz.

My concerns on the automatic is its accuracy over time and various conditions.

You got exquisite taste.Never heard of the brand before.Is it a Swiss watch?

I knew the automatic watch accuracy is inferior to the quartz. The most accurate one is the one with chronemeter certified. But even that is not as accurate as a cheapo quartz.

Yeah the quartz are more accurate. The marathon is a military spec. watch. It has swiss movement. ON the forums people say it is very well constructed and tough, and is even better or comparable to watches that cost up to 4 times as much. But the eta 2824 movement is pretty accurate automatic movement as far as automatics goes. very widely used. I think it is like about 5-6 secs. off, but I have heard people with spot on and around 2 secs. per day. Even at 10 secs. per day, you are only looking at 300 secs. per month or 5 minutes. not bad. Since the watch does not have a perpetual calendar, you have to change the date anyways, so that would be the time to correct the time on your watch.

The only watch you would not worry about the different days in the month is a perpetual calendar.

Quote Originally Posted by tiulei44 View Post
    You got exquisite taste.Never heard of the brand before.Is it a Swiss watch?

I knew the automatic watch accuracy is inferior to the quartz. The most accurate one is the one with chronemeter certified. But even that is not as accurate as a cheapo quartz.

Well if you want accurate time go with the quartz.

If you don't mind acouple seconds on or off a day go with a automatic.

Alot of automatics are pretty heavy like divers or chronographs and you will probably take it off alot so if it is expensive watch maybe a watch winder might be good for you. There are light weight automatics like Seiko 5's. There pretty afforable and pretty good time keeping.

From reading this forum the best time for a automaitc should be about 10 seconds +/- a day. If it's anymore then that. I read you should get it regulated at the jeweler, but I would guess depending how expensive the watch is it's probably won't be cheap?

And, I wouldn't bother with that until the watch "breaks in" over acouple of months because it keeps better power reserve time, and better time keeping.

Also some automatics allow you to stop the second hand which is called "hacking" so you can set the time better and see how on or off the watch is in a day also better.
    Last edited by G-Shocks Are Cool.; June 7th, 2007 at 09:01.
    The MTG is retired and the 5600 too. Right now, the only working G-Shocks that I use and enjoy are the Riseman GW9200-1 and the GW6900-1

If I can own a Rolex Submariner I would. I know they are tough too, their homages are tough. Trust me.

G-Shock MTG930DA-8V, G-Shock GW-5600J-1. G-Shock Riseman GW9200-1, G-Shock GW6900-1

Woudl it shorten the watch life span if we always recalibrate the watch?

NEG

Quote Originally Posted by tiulei44 View Post
    Hi,
    I heard of Mechanical Watch horror stories like :-
    i) The longer it run the more inaccurate it is.
    ii) Less realiable than Quartz watch.Easy to spoil.
    iii) Service is very expensive.
    iv) After few years using need to send to repair to correct the inaccuracy.
    v) Heard of the second tick will move 2 sec each time it move after few years of using.
    vi) Need to wear it everyday 24hrs a day like wearing a ring.

If this is true, then those mechanical watch need more time to take care of it and not as rugged as quartz watch.

Is this a myth?

Regards,
    Tiulei
    i) The *older* it is the more inaccurate it will likely become...

ii) Generally yes, its a micro machine, however, unreliability comes in many forms so quartz may also break for other reasons.

iii) Service cost depends on the watch and who is servicing it. It does not have to be excessive. Some people ignore servicing, however, I wouldn't so factor in an additional cost approx every 5 years.

iv) No not true, see above. The watch may be running perfectly at 5 years, some people will continue to use it until it starts going wrong. Others will get it serviced as a preventive measure.

v) Never heard of that on a mechanical....maybe some quartz do it to indicate the battery needs replacing.

vi) No not true. Some will use watch winders for their automatics to keep them running, this is due more to the fact they flip watches regularly and don't want to keep setting time and date each time they come to wear a watch.

Decide what you want from a watch then choose between Mechanical or quartz. Accuracy will be better, generally, with quartz. If you are buying for emotive reasons then I would go with mechanical....Quartz = buying with the head, Mechanical = buying with the heart...
    Last edited by NEG; June 7th, 2007 at 11:07.

stuffler,mike

Despite all horror stories - What about the fascination of mechanical watches ?????

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information