Mechanical Watch Question

Thread: Mechanical Watch Question

Question Mechanical Watch Question

I read somewhere that it is always best to keep a mechanical watch wound due to the fact that the constant movement of the gears keeps the oils evenly distributed within the watch, because if it sat for a period of time unwound, the oils within the movement would settle to one side of the movement resulting in an uneven lubrication.

The question is:

How long can you let your mechanical watch sit unwound until this behavior of the oils start to happen?

Last edited by crossxfire2; March 14th, 2009 at 05:04.

Re: Mechanical Watch Question

I guess it'll be quite a few years but there are websites that advise winding the piece fortnightly if not using it. N if the case is not sealed properly,i think humidity will ruin the watch sooner than the lubricants gumming up.

I've had an automatic watch sit for over two years (Seiko to be specific) and then brought it out and it started working flawlessly. I don't know how long, but it takes a while for this, and I wouldn't worry about it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

So I guess the point of watch winders is to keep the watch going, eliminating the pain of having to set many, many complications every time you put on the watch if it has them?

Quote Originally Posted by crossxfire2 View Post
    So I guess the point of watch winders is to keep the watch going, eliminating the pain of having to set many, many complications every time you put on the watch if it has them?
    That, and a watches accuracy depends greatly on it's being powered. When a watch is fully wound it is most accurate, and the longer a watch is kept fully wound the more accurate the accuracy reading will be.

Thread Information