Mechanical watches - adjusting time backwards

Thread: Mechanical watches - adjusting time backwards

Mechanical watches - adjusting time backwards

I have to set my watches back one hour to GMT this morning as the clocks have changed. Is it safe to do this on a mechanical watch or should the hands only be adjusted forwards, which would be very inconvenient if you have to then reset the day/date a full cycle. This question also applies when traveling west through time zones.

What do y'all do in this situation. I would be particularly interested to hear a watchmaker's opinion.

Re: Mechanical watches - adjusting time backwards

Brad (@bradwatch)
    - appreciating fine affordable watches since 2011

You must have a good memory as that thread was from 2007 LOL. I read it and there didn't seem to be a definitive answer and I was also interested to hear what other forum members do in this situation.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Without a calendar complication, whenever you feel like it.

With a calendar complication check the manual for the times you should avoid. Generally the range to avoid is 21.00 to 6.00, but sometimes it can be shorter too. If the watch has stopped and you don't know if it us currently showing AM or PM, turn the time forward past 12 o'clock to know if it's noon or midnight. Once you know this you can adjust the time properly.

The movement of the hands separate from the movement is done via friction, which allows them to go backwards and forwards without doing any kind of harm.

Quote Originally Posted by COYI View Post
    You must have a good memory as that thread was from 2007 LOL. I read it and there didn't seem to be a definitive answer and I was also interested to hear what other forum members do in this situation.
    I just did a Google search and that was one of many threads that came up. There are plenty more to read if you want to.
    Brad (@bradwatch)
    - appreciating fine affordable watches since 2011

I have to set my watches back one hour to GMT this morning as the clocks have changed. Is it safe to do this on a mechanical watch
    Concerning the base movement: yes, no worries.

However, as others have said, it's not recommended no move them backwards over midnight on some date complications. On others, it's even part of the half-quickset date adjustment (Poljot, Vostok, etc.). But except for dates and maybe other complications that would engage around midnight (+/- a few hours), you can set the time backwards or forward without worrying about it.

What I've done is to hack and wait for one hour to pass then un - hack and go about your day.....No harm to the movement here!

I have to set my watches back one hour to GMT this morning as the clocks have changed. Is it safe to do this on a mechanical watch or should the hands only be adjusted forwards, which would be very inconvenient if you have to then reset the day/date a full cycle. This question also applies when traveling west through time zones.

What do y'all do in this situation. I would be particularly interested to hear a watchmaker's opinion.
    Lee Rappeport

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________________________

PREVIOUSLY OWNED

Glycine Vacuum, Glycine Observer (2), Glycine Power reserve DLC, Rolex sub no date(1967), Rolex sub Chronometer movement, Bulova Accutron RR edition,
    Seiko Orange monster, IWC 38mm Pilot, Chronoswiss Kairos SS, Steinhart O1V, Oris BC3, Oris triple complication, Tissot Sea Star, MK II Seafighter, Seiko SNKF11, Steinhart Ocean 44, Steinhart Ocean Black GMT, Seiko SRP 777 TURTLE, Seiko SUN045 50th Anniversary Kinetic.

CURRENTLY OWN

Hamilton Barton (circa 1951), Seiko SBBN035 TUNA, and a $5.00 quartz watch.....

Thanks guys for your answers

Off Topic post Re: Mechanical watches - adjusting time backwards

The underground lines in Hamburg officially announced that the trains would be going backwards between 3 and 2 this morning..

Name:  hvv_ende_sommerzeit.jpg
Views: 625
Size:  55.7 KB

Thread Information