The Member Berries of the Watch World

View Poll Results: What are your thoughts of modern, "vintage throwback" remakes?

Voters
19. This poll is closed
  • I love modern re-issues and throwbacks!

16 84.21%
  • I think its lazy and I don't like it.

0 0%
  • I really like them, but I still find them kinda of lazy.

3 15.79%
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: The Member Berries of the Watch World

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The Member Berries of the Watch World

You would need to have seen the most recent episodes of South Park to understand this right off the top. Member Berries are basically a metaphor for sometimes, instead of innovating and moving the world forward, people prefer to soak in nostalgia, sit back, be lazy, and "member the good times". South Park has so far tied this into the latest Star Wars release. Apparently the writers just thought the movie was lazy lol. Anyways, it made me think about how this could relate to the watch world.

Do you guys find all the recent throwback heritage watch models to be really cool and worth the money, or lazy and relying on nostalgia too much and not innovations in build/design? Tudor comes to mind, with its heritage throwbacks, which I love. But watching South Park made me think deeper about it (As South Park always seems to do...), and made me wonder if Tudor was kind of the "member berries" of the watch world.

"Member big crowns with no crown guards?!"
    "Yeah! I love big crowns with no crown guards!"
    "Member when men's watches were 36mm?!"
    "Member the Tudor rose, snowflake hands, the Monte Carlo, and the Ranger?!"
    "Yeah I member!"

This isn't exclusive to Tudor either. I can think of multiple watch companies that are guilty. Oris 65, Longines Legend Diver, Hamilton's Pan Europ just to name a few. I want to be clear that I have nothing against Tudor at all, I have a Pelagos and its my favorite watch, I'll never part with it. Just thought it was an interesting discussion point. I know Tudor has plenty of watches that are innovative and aren't throwbacks.

Last edited by GetLittUp; October 23rd, 2016 at 19:43.
    Metlin likes this.

Re: The Member Berries of the Watch World

If you designed something great in 1950 why not create a heritage version of it so that the current generation can share in it without having to buy vintage?
    flybynight70 likes this.

I like them, Alpina has a heritage. Should be something actually from the brand and not a rip from someone else.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Seiko has over the years issued several watches that if not exact copies are close representations of vintage watches. One example is a group of 9 colorful Seiko 5 Sports % watches that look right out of the 1970's. The dial colors are deep, lume first rate, the back looks old and they use an updated movement.
    Several years back I read that Seiko also reissued a chronograph with the Sport 5 series. I would love to find one.

Name:  s_retrodivers.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  80.1 KB

Another would be the fine Seiko Laurel.

Name:  3241258934_cf62064a62.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  90.5 KB

I think there will always be a market for well done reissues.
    Last edited by John MS; October 23rd, 2016 at 20:07.
    Domo likes this.

I have nothing against re issues but I do not like "vintage lume" its just trying too hard.
    OvrSteer and Domo like this.
    Cheers

M

Current collection: Glycine Combat 6 GL0106, Hamilton Khaki Mechanical H694190, Seiko Sarb 033, Citizen "Ray Mears" BN0118-55E , Casio Edifice EF-503D-1A, VSA Alliance, Citizen NY0040-09e, Seiko "Turtle" SBDY015, Lorus field watch RXF41AX7, Pulsar field watch PS9045, Seiko 5 SNXS77, SNXS73, Favre Leuba Vintage watch.
    Gone but not forgotten: Oris Big Crown Propilot, Seiko SKX009, Orient Star Classic, Citizen "Excalibur" BN0100-51E, Citizen NP4020-51A, Citizen BM8180-03E, Citizen BM6400-00e, VSA Officers day date
    Capture and release: Oris BC3, Hamilton Khaki Field, Timefactors Speedbird 3, Citizen World Timer CB0027-51E

I love many reissues and I'm not saying they aren't great watches or there isn't a market for it. So do you guys think modern reissues are a great blend of modern with a nod to the history, or are they a lazy play on nostalgia?

Retro is definitely big right now, not just in movies or watches. Take a look at cars, even. The latest gen of Challenger's take several heavy styling/marketing cues from the original challengers of the 70's. So is retro styling just the latest flavor? Is "membering" just a trend?

I also wonder if a throwback watch can become a future classic? Or does it need to have a fresh, unique design to become an iconic watch in the future?

I thought this was a play on the dingle berries of the watch world. You know those brands that stink but manage to cling on somehow. Everyone says how much they dislike them and how annoying they are but some people secretly harbor them. I'm not gonna out any particular brand but it's with an I and ends in an A.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im more of a guy who believes in progression, and the Simpsons:

Quote Originally Posted by watch_hor View Post
    I thought this was a play on the dingle berries of the watch world. You know those brands that stink but manage to cling on somehow. Everyone says how much they dislike them and how annoying they are but some people secretly harbor them. I'm not gonna out any particular brand but it's with an I and ends in an A.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Haha. I guess this topic requires a familiarity with the new south park episodes. I had hoped there would be more watch nuts who were also South Park fans!

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar_917 View Post
    Im more of a guy who believes in progression, and the Simpsons:
    LOL. Kodos would make a fine alternative candidate in this upcoming election...

I think they are cool but they always change something that makes it a deal breaker for me. For example, they make it bigger and it is too big for me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information