Men vs. Boys: Who's Wearing a Watch?
Like Tree237Likes

Thread: Men vs. Boys: Who's Wearing a Watch?

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Men vs. Boys: Who's Wearing a Watch?

When I was in college, we had a very old-school distinguished Spanish professor (Ph.D., University of Alabama) who traveled and shopped for his clothes and shoes in NYC, Paris, Rome, and London -- just a really classy guy in many ways. He always told us young men that a gentleman always wears a watch that's appropriate to his activities for the day and that you're not really dressed if you don't have your watch on (not counting playing sports or heavy manual labor, of course).

Now I teach at a college, and about 90% of college guys use their phones for telling time and do not wear a watch. I occasionally remind them that one trait distinguishing a boy from a man is that a grown man wears a watch but a boy doesn't. I say this to the young men in my classes in a humorous spirit, but it's interesting to see how many of them wear watches to class from then on! I will begin to see on their wrists Fossils, Citizens, and a few Invictas, but at least they're getting started on the right and gentlemanly path!
    Last edited by Cracky Wainwright; October 11th, 2017 at 16:49.

Re: Men vs. Boys: Who's Wearing a Watch?

it's a waste of time to tell anyone to wear a watch. Enjoy your own and hope --one day--to meet someone who enjoys his , too.So far , after many years , I have met one guy who likes watches about 30% as much as I do. You cannot force this issue.

I was told that a gentleman always had a clean handkerchief , a pocket knife and a $20 bill (I'm old). No mention of a watch.
    oztech and Kanewu like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Perazzi-man View Post
    I was told that a gentleman always had a clean handkerchief , a pocket knife and a $20 bill (I'm old).
    That's funny because I also carry everyday a handkerchief, a small pocket knife, and an emergency $50 bill in my wallet. I learned this habit from my father and grandfathers. Old habits stick with us.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Haha, it's not a bad idea, but times are a'changing. I think a lot of young people find watches tedious and expensive fashion accessories instead of wonderful little wrist machines. Leave 'em to their smart watches and cell phones. I sometimes wonder if it's actually us watch-wearers that are actually getting left behind...
    OmegaSMPMan likes this.
    Daily wears: Seiko SKX007K, Nomos Club, Tudor Black Bay 36

If you manliness depends by the presence of a watch on your wrist well I assume you are a little unsecure.

I wear a watch because I happen to like them, but it doesn't make me "more man"...and when I was a kid I also wore a watch, most of my schoolmates did. Check "flick flak"!

Quote Originally Posted by whosehair View Post
    Haha, it's not a bad idea, but times are a'changing. I think a lot of young people find watches tedious and expensive fashion accessories instead of wonderful little wrist machines. .

Here's a nice quote from a thinker I respect: Nassim Nicholas Taleb ...

An observation about modernity: too high a rate of mutation is lethal.
    Change for the sake of change, as we see in architecture, food, and lifestyle, can be the opposite of progress.
    As I have explained in Antifragile, too high a rate of mutation prevents locking-in the benefits of previous changes: evolution (and progress) requires some, but not too frequent variation.

I think we are going through a period of an awful lot of unnecessary (social and technological) )changes for the sake of changing, or for the sake of making bigger profits.
    It's not about staying 'old school'; it's important - in the long run - to have a sense of continuity (culturally and language-wise) if we in the US especially are to survive intact as a culture. But I accept that maybe we've gone too far already.
    Last edited by Chronopolis; October 11th, 2017 at 17:37.
    "Be thine own palace, or the world's thy jail." _ John Donne

Quote Originally Posted by Chronopolis View Post
    Here's a nice quote from a thinker I respect: Nassim Nicholas Taleb ...

It's not about staying 'old school'; it's important - in the long run - to have a sense of continuity (culturally and language-wise) if we in the US especially are to survive intact as a culture. But I accept that maybe we've gone too far already.
    To take a very well articulated thought about the rapid modernization of society as a whole and distill it back down to watches: This bit here is why I started getting into mechanical watches in the first place. It's hard to find a piece of technology that has been on a slower grade of progress since its inception than wristwatches. And I'll admit, I buy the fancy new smart phones and kitschy fun smart watches, but the linear route of watchmaking through it's history is what fascinates and bedazzles me to – much to my wife's chagrin – insist on buying new watches.
    Chronopolis likes this.
    Daily wears: Seiko SKX007K, Nomos Club, Tudor Black Bay 36

as someone who's trying to sell some affordable pieces, I can get behind this marketing :P the more people interested in actual watches, the larger your potential consumer base is in the used market :P
    ChiefWahoo likes this.
    WatchUSee is WatchIGot
    Casio - G-Shock GW-5000-1jf |
    Garmin - Forerunner 245 Music | Grand Seiko - Snowflake (SBGA011) | Longines - Master Collection (L2.673) | | MeisterSinger - Panagaea Day Date|Monta -Triumph | Nomos Glashutte - Club Datum | Orient - Mako mod | Rolex - Explorer I (214270 mk2) | Seiko - SKX007/09 mods | Stowa- Klassik Flieger

The Taleb quote is an allegory. He is talking about Rolex.

Very true! What is really cool is how some actually started to take your advice.
    88Keys likes this.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information