Men's Sports Watch for Wife?
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Men's Sports Watch for Wife?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Men's Sports Watch for Wife?

Hi everyone.

I'm brand new to the forum and relatively new to the watch scene. And I was hoping you all could offer some feedback / advice.

In 2 months my wife will be convocating as a CPA... it's been a long journey and lifelong goal for her. And so I'm getting her a watch to mark the special occasion.

Here is my dilemma. I don't find the styles of the dainty little (25mm-35mm) women's watches very interesting at all. I much prefer to see a woman wearing a tasteful men's watch - provided she can pull it off nicely. She is rather petite, with really small wrists.

My #1 choice right now is the Tudor Black Bay in red. I'll be taking her to try it on this week at our local AD.

Today she tryed on the Bell & Ross GMT. To be honest I assumed she would think this was too masculine (I personally like Bell & Ross very much), but surprisngly she was pretty happy with it. Here she is at the store. Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic. quality.Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1443489868234.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  42.0 KB

I'm leaning towards the Tudor because I think the red colour is a touch of femininity while still a solid tool watch. I also think the Bell is maybe too similar to my own Explorer ii.

So what are your thoughts? Do you agree or disagree with having a lady wear a men's watch? Does it look ridiculous or tasteful? Is the Bell & Ross too big for her? Are there any other models you would suggest? Let's hear them! I'll try and post some pics of the Tudor later on... stay tuned. Thanks for reading!

Re: Men's Sports Watch for Wife?

IMO that's a bit too big, but that's just a sense of proportion at play. I feel that way about larger cases on most men's wrists; my personal preference, for example, is 36-38 mm, not 40+. I definitely don't think most styles are male-only, and that red Tudor diver...heck no. I think you're right; the red makes it less harsh. What would concern me with a diver, tho, is dial size and thickness both play a role in the perception of a watch being over-size, and divers are usually on the thick side.

But I despise gender stereotypes...like, 42 mm case sizes are Masculine. GAH! This isn't the statement they really mean. If you like your wife wearing it...if she likes the look...awesome! Go for it!
    Hasaf likes this.

My wife wears an Omega Speedmaster 38mm, a Junghans Max Bill 38mm, and sometimes the Shinola 43mm. None look too big or ridiculous for her and her lady wrist, but that B&R is out of whack (and my wife likes B&R's but thought they looked clownishly big). The Tudor is somewhat heavy, no?

How about a Rolex Datejust 36mm with the "grape" dial?
    Name:  Oyster_Perpetual_116000B-2.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  197.3 KB
    Tick-tock in RoK GMT+9, no DST
    --
    Not Seiko: Parmigiania Tonda 1950, Zenith El Primero Chronomaster, Piaget Upstream, Muhle Glashutte Seebataillon GMT, Eterna Madison Spherodrive, Vulcain Cricket 1951 Classic, Bell & Ross Space 3 GMT, Bulova Accutron Astronaut (c. 1966), Omega Speedmaster triple date, Sinn 556 Anniversary LE, IWC Cal. 89 (c. 1957), Glycine Airman SST-12, Pulsar Date II (c. 1971), Scurfa Diver One, G-Shock Rangeman 9400, Vostok Classica
    Seiko: Grand Seiko SBGT035, Credor Node GCAT996, Grand Seiko 5641-7000 (1972), "Ashtray Tuna" 7C46-6009 (1987), 6139-7069 "Blue Eye" chrono (1974), 5740-8000 Lord Marvel 36'000 (1974), Bell-Matic 4006-7012 (1971), King Quartz 9223-5000 (1981), Seikomatic J13044 (1963), 6119-6400 UFO (1974), King Quartz 5855-5000 (1977), Silverwave 8221-5020 (1980), Majesta 9063-5020 (1984), SKX399K "Philippines"

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Women can get away with wearing almost anything including big men's watches very nicely if they are comfortable with it, just be mindful that its a fashion statement about being bold yet cool and relaxed. I assume she already has some regular sized ladies watches for more 'proper' or formal occasions.

The BB is 42mm (if not mistaken!) and may be just a touch too big and heavy and may flop around uncomfortably on a small wrist, not good if she's working at a desk most of the day. I suggest looking at some slightly smaller men's watches 38-40mm, maybe put it on a rubber strap to further lighten it up and also prevent it twisting around her wrist. I'm thinking Sinn have some very nice lookers in that range that she might like. Oris has also just released their new 65 reissue at 40mm. But if you both really like the BB then I say, why not!
    Bulova> 96B251. Casio> 5600E. Damasko> DS30. GrandSeiko> SBGH205. Rolex> 114060, 16710. Seiko> SARB017, SARB033, SBDX017, SLA017.

Get her a matching explorer. Or perhaps the new oyster perpetuals
    obomomomo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Oops.Forgot.Tissues. View Post
    ...I'm brand new to the forum and relatively new to the watch scene... lifelong goal for her. And so I'm getting her a watch... I don't find the styles of the dainty little (25mm-35mm) women's watches very interesting at all... I much prefer to see a woman wearing a tasteful men's watch... My #1 choice... I'm leaning towards the Tudor because I think ...
    I see an awful lot of "I think" and "I want" and "My" in there, all of which is pretty irrelevant. What does SHE prefer? Whatever it is... get that!
    Nutty28, MisterHo, rdoder and 4 others like this.
    ​Grand Seiko SBGE033, Jaquest Droz Grande Seconde, Breitling Navitimer Cosmonaute, Prometheus Piranha, Orient Wingman, Zeppelin Flatline 7366-3, Glashutte Original PanoMaticLunar, Epos Emotion 3390, Steinhart Ocean 2 Premium, Hamilton Khaki Field, Omega 1965 Vintage, Seiko 5 SNKK27, Seiko 1977 Vintage, Nomos Orion 38, Wittnauer 1960's Vintage, Movado SL1 Chrono, Seiko SBQK085, Cyma Le Locle, Casio Oceanus OCW-S100-1AJF

Dumb question, have you looked at a white dial Explorer II 16570 ?

I gave the Mrs mine that I was not wearing anymore.
    She is all about white dial watches ( her FM cintrée curvex is also a white dial as well as a few other fashion watches )

I took out all the removable links and it fits fairly well. She would like a half link more out of it, if there was such a beast.

.Name:  20140711 Bunny ExprII.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  128.8 KB

The Mrs said the BB, she liked the bezel, but the dial was not her thing ( again she is all about the white dials )
    Last edited by sscully; September 29th, 2015 at 07:03.

Laughing Re: Men's Sports Watch for Wife?

Awesome! Thanks for the feedback!

Both of us really have no experience buying women's watches; so this is helpful.. especially your comments on the actual comfort of putting a big watch on a small wrist. Probably something that deserves more thought!

But her own preference is also to stay away from tiny women's watches. It's not entirely my own viewpoint.. although she's likely been influenced by my bias. Anyway, after reading your comments, we are giving the B&R a second thought.. and will search out something more in the range of 36-39mm.

The grape dial Datejust is reaaalllyy nice (her words )! We will definitely go and try it on!

Her personality is in fact bold yet pretty chilled out. And that's why she's so cool. But since this is going to be her daily "go to" watch then maybe a more regular sized watch is ideal.

I fail to see the dilemma she chooses a watch she likes and you buy it. Not to be rude but why should she care what you or anyone on this forum thinks should be on her wrist.

But of more interest is convocating a word?
    rfortson likes this.

Women look great in an oversize man's watch. It's men who look silly wearing watches that are too big.

My advice is to let her pick something out for herself. IMO women look best in the most inappropriate watch, something like a Speedmaster Pro when dressed for work. That Tudor is too sweet looking; it will just look like a big watch on a tiny wrist.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information