Meshable chrono for those who donīt like quartz or chronos
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Meshable chrono for those who donīt like quartz or chronos

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Meshable chrono for those who donīt like quartz or chronos

I just bought my first Kickstarter watch- the meshable mecha-quartz chrono. I have never been a huge fan of chronos. They always seemed way too busy to me. I never saw the appeal of Breitling for example- just so much little writing all over the dial. This meshable watch strips the chronograph down to itīs bare essentials and itīs a very wearable 39mm. Automatic chronos also seem like they would be very delicate to me, lots of parts and mechanisms to break. Thatīs another thing that drew me to this- I imagine this Seiko movement will be robust and if it fails it can be replaced relatively cheaply..or not. Iīd be a little angry if it doesnīt last but at 139 euros, it wonīt be the end of the world. How much do 7750 movements cost to service? I donīt really like quartz watches either with their one second tick, tick, ticks but this one has a less noticable subseconds hand and a 5 ticks per second chrono seconds hand. Bottom line- this watch takes care of all the little complaints I have with chronos so I had to pull the trigger.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...?ref=discovery
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by CristobalGordo; October 15th, 2015 at 17:41.
    Armchair likes this.

Re: Meshable chrono for those who donīt like quartz or chronos

The subdials are not numbered which would make it impossible to use as a chrono. I think they stripped too many of the essentials.
    Last edited by John MS; October 15th, 2015 at 19:33.
    3005 and Lord Monocle like this.

I'm with John MS on this, the chrono feature is pretty much useless.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The top dial is the minute subdial and it has hash marks. I think it wouldnīt be that hard to read. The bottom subdial is the seconds hand which isnīt part of the chrono function. There is no hour subdial. So it only counts up to an hour. I can live with all that. I liked that way it looks and the added (albeit limited) chronograph functionality. If I really REALLY needed to time something down to the hundreth of a second, Iīd use a phone or digital watch. Thatīs another reason why Iīm not into fancy automatic chronos- for all their complexity, a little plastic digital casio does the job better. Sure, that can be said for all types of timekeeping but it is especially true if you need a precision stopwatch function. Donīt get me wrong, I prefer automatics- the smoothly sweeping seconds hand, the intricacy of their movements etc. I get that people appreciate the engineering behind an automatic chronograph. For me, it always seemed to be a lot of added clutter and complexity for a function that can be done better many other ways. But thatīs just me. I realise that for huge numbers of people, chronos are the epitome of watches and thatīs great. I prefer simple basic watches.
    Last edited by CristobalGordo; October 15th, 2015 at 20:05.

Ah, I missed the marks on the top sub dial, didn't see them. Thanks for pointing that out. I'm not a big chrono fan (I have one - Chopard MM) but this one is a bit too minimal for me. Still different tastes make the world go around. But, one point - automatic (and handwind) mechanical chronos needn't be fragile. The Omega Speedmaster is a prime example of this. And there are many 7750 based watches that are also known for their robustness (and I'm sure there are others - that's just 2 I'm thinking about right now). In any case, if you get that Meshable be sure to post photos and impressions of it here for us.

Quote Originally Posted by John Price View Post
    But, one point - automatic (and handwind) mechanical chronos needn't be fragile. The Omega Speedmaster is a prime example of this. And there are many 7750 based watches that are also known for their robustness (and I'm sure there are others - that's just 2 I'm thinking about right now). In any case, if you get that Meshable be sure to post photos and impressions of it here for us.
    Yeah I think this idea comes from my very brief and unsuccessful attempts at amateur watchmaking- struggling with a simple movement and thinking, "man, I can't imagine working on a chronograph." The Speedmaster alone has legions of fans out there so clearly the movement is far from fragile. I just can't help but think of all those little tiny hands and springs and levers. But that's my problem.

I'll definitely post pictures when I get it. For me this is a minimalist watch with a little something more rather than a chronograph with a lot less. The Kickstarter world is full of minimalist dress watches but I thought this one stood out for the interesting movement, sapphire crystal and reasonable price. We'll see how it turns out.

That's a good looking watch, congrats.
    German: Junghans Meister Chronoscope | Nomos Tangente | Stowa Exima ETA & PUW 560
    Others: Accurist World Time Chronograph | Mondaine solar powered | Omega Seamaster 'Calypso' | Orient Blue Mako | Orient CVZ0001B ana-digi | Reena WeatherMaster VII

I quite like it. Very clean and legible, at least for the main hands. Would have been even cleaner with a black date wheel.
    Mina and Nemo look ecstatic about it.

Name:  M.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  51.3 KB
    Last edited by GlennO; October 15th, 2015 at 23:32.
    CristobalGordo likes this.

I'd like to try that movement, but I think I'm going to end up going for the Fossil Del Rey unless there's a good-looking actual Seiko branded one out right now.
    Guys, I really really really do understand that there was a hack and that my password was reset, but I'm about to take a year off from WUS if you can't stop telling me about it every time I log in. With my password. That you reset.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Monocle View Post
    I'd like to try that movement, but I think I'm going to end up going for the Fossil Del Rey unless there's a good-looking actual Seiko branded one out right now.
    What about the Helgray Silverstone?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information