Mido Commander II Chronograph M014.414.11.031.09 and limited edition M016.415.16.051.00
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Mido Commander II Chronograph M014.414.11.031.09 and limited edition M016.415.16.051.00

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mido Commander II Chronograph M014.414.11.031.09 and limited edition M016.415.16.051.00

I have finally decided on buying my first swiss watch and chose Mido Commander II Chronograph. To me it seems like a good combination of classy and "young". But here is where I am stuck: There is the normal commander II which are still produced by the manufacturer (M014.414.11.031.09) and are usually available in shops. Because of friends, I can buy this piece (new) for about 1300€. Then there is the limited version (M016.415.16.051.00), where only 950 pieces exist in total an since it cannot be ordered anymore, it would cost about 2150€. I like both about equally, even though the metal strap of the normal version feels amazing and I always wanted one with metal strap. The main difference is that the limited edition has the chronometer certificate, leather instead of metal strap, general design and of course that it is limited.

In your opinion, is it worth investing 800€ more in the limited edition (reselling value)? Is the movement of the normal version without the certificate less reliable, even though they are both ETA 7750? Even though I only read good things about Mido, they do not seem to be too popular so I am not sure if value will increase significantly in the future. What are your experiences with Mido?

Thank you very much in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Mido Commander II Chronograph M014.414.11.031.09 and limited edition M016.415.16.051.00

No experience with mido but I doubt either will increase in price over time. If you like them both equally then go for the cheaper one! Plus it has a bracelet, which is a big bonus. They're both 7750s; the chronometer certificate guarantees accuracy but there's a good chance the elabore (or it could even be a top grade; the 7750 doesn't come in standard though) movement in the normal model will perform just as accurately. And if it's consistently say, +10spd a watchmaker can regulate it for you very easily. No contest here for me at all.

Re: Mido Commander II Chronograph M014.414.11.031.09 and limited edition M016.415.16.051.00

Love my Mido Chrono, best bang for your buck in its class IMHO. As Geoffbot said, unfortunately Mido is under-appreciated and unlikely to maintain its value. So, his advice is mine - buy the cheaper one if you truly like them equally. Plus, Mido tends to put Top Grade movements in their chronos so the Chronometer may not have any better components in it than the other model.
    rfortson likes this.
    -Robert
    Buy what you like, keep what you love, don't spend too much.
    As long as you follow those simple rules - you shouldn't listen to anyone about your watches.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Agree with the above - Mido makes great watches and bracelets are in my experience very nice too, but they do not hold their price well on the used market. The 'limited edition' will mean nothing for resale ...
    Docrwm likes this.

I'd go with the bracelet version ..... but I always go with the bracelet so ya can't go by me
    "Some day I'm going to buy a real wristwatch"

"When I only had one watch I always knew what time it was, but now I'm no longer sure"

Thank you very much for the insightful answers! I think you are right. I like both equally but the metal bracelet wins this competition. Do you know how I can find out if the ETA 7750 movement in the commander is top or elabore? If it is top, then I will definately go for the non limited version since the accuracy are probably very similar in both variations.

Quote Originally Posted by thenightknight View Post
    Thank you very much for the insightful answers! I think you are right. I like both equally but the metal bracelet wins this competition. Do you know how I can find out if the ETA 7750 movement in the commander is top or elabore? If it is top, then I will definately go for the non limited version since the accuracy are probably very similar in both variations.
    Read my review of my Mido. What I learned is that Mido does an incredibly good job with the actual watches and an amazingly, stunningly, bad job communicating what is actually in them. I had to put their spec sheet under a microscope and enlist assistance here from movement gurus to figure out that it was a very high grade movement.
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f220/mi...rwm-53599.html
    Last edited by Docrwm; June 21st, 2014 at 17:47.
    Krish47 likes this.
    -Robert
    Buy what you like, keep what you love, don't spend too much.
    As long as you follow those simple rules - you shouldn't listen to anyone about your watches.

Quote Originally Posted by Docrwm View Post
    Read my review of my Mido. What I learned is that Mido does an incredibly good job with the actual watches and an amazingly, stunningly, bad job communicating what is actually in them. I had to put their spec sheet under a microscope and enlist assistance here from movement gurus to figure out that it was a very high grade movement.
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f220/mi...rwm-53599.html
    So...is it elabore or top? This guy seems to think it's elabore http://www.amazon.com/Mido-Multifort...ref=pd_sxp_f_r though I don't know how he knows.

The only other Google results were my above post on this thread, which is worrying - I should really check twice before opening my mouth!

Nice, but most certainly get the bracelet version.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    So...is it elabore or top? This guy seems to think it's elabore Mido Multifort Mens Automatic Chronograph Watch M005.614.36.051.22 at Amazon Men's Watch store. though I don't know how he knows.

The only other Google results were my above post on this thread, which is worrying - I should really check twice before opening my mouth!
    It's Mido Model #M0144141103109 which has an ETA Valjoux 7750 movement - so it is Elabore. Here's the description on the Mido site Homepage | MIDO . If you can get it for $500 take it. Servicing costs will vary by region but it's worth doing. Where I live it's $80-$150 (on average). The limited edition has the same movement and 950 pieces is a lot. I do not understand the difference in the standard and the limited. I guess it's in the finishing of the movement. The limited is advertised as having a COSC rating - but if it's the same movement in both watches then they are equally good.
    "Hell! There ain’t no rules around here. We’re trying to accomplish something." ~ Thomas Edison

"How many times when you are working on something frustratingly tiny like your wife's wristwatch, have you said to yourself, "If I could only train an ant to do this!" ~ Richard Feynman

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information