MIDO Ocean Star Captain Winding Dial

Thread: MIDO Ocean Star Captain Winding Dial

Confused MIDO Ocean Star Captain Winding Dial

Hi fellow watch lovers,

I owned an automatic Mido Ocean Star Captian. i have a question on its winding mechanism, everytime i manually wind the dial it has a "limit at the end" (will be stuck or stop being wind further). If i wear the watch the wind will be tight and remain at the position, if i left it not wearing for 2 days the wind will be totally loosen. My the other auto watches Hamilton and Oris are not like that, it has unlimited wind....

Izzit something wrong on the my Mido mechanism?

Please advise, thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: MIDO Ocean Star Captain Winding Dial

I’m not a watchmaker but, IMO, your Mido sounds normal. The spring will only store so much energy.

IIRC, both my 2824-2s and SW200s exhibit more resistance to winding, the more I wind.

You should be able to wind your watch by the crown as much as you want.

A automatic watch has a special mainspring which slips in the barrel once it's fully

wound. So if you can only wind so much and it stops, there is a problem with the movement.
    Last edited by Mr Horology; April 6th, 2010 at 07:55.
    Horological Mastermind

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by bluloo View Post
    I’m not a watchmaker but, IMO, your Mido sounds normal. The spring will only store so much energy.

IIRC, both my 2824-2s and SW200s exhibit more resistance to winding, the more I wind.
    Ok, thanks for sharing your experience. Mine is not resistance it is totally "stuck". I think it shld not be the way. I will check with me AD on these matter.

Thanks.

Hi Guys,

I sent my Mido to the AD to have a look. To my surprise, the guy managed to wind my watch effortlessly with non "stuck" effect. I was really shocked.

I was puzzled, How he did it! I told him that the watch was in "stuck" condition even the first day i owned it, as i tot it should be the way. He understand what i mean and he explained that this does happen sometime if sands or dust got stuck at the based on the crown. But i din bring my watch to such place... !!

Some how he explained that the wind will be more resistant to further winding if the "power" is at the optimum level.

Well... i guess my watch is afraid of having "operation" with the watch doctor and start to behave well..ha..ha.. But i am really glad i dun have to "admit" her...hope she will behave well...

Thanks for listening !

Thread Information