Mido Watches. Can anyone tell me about them.

Thread: Mido Watches. Can anyone tell me about them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mido Watches. Can anyone tell me about them.

I saw a store selling Mido watches. I've never heard of them. Looked around and all I know is that they're owned by the Swatch Group. Are they good? Are they cool? Are they overpriced Swatches? Please give some info, especially those who own a Mido.

Re: Mido Watches. Can anyone tell me about them.

Do a search here. They have a good reputation, but they often fly under the radar a bit. They have great modern designs. Go for it.

Swatch group also includes Omega, Longines and many other very reputable brands. Association with the Swatch Group does not make it an "overpriced Swatch".
    The Swatch Group owns ETA, which is the biggest, and arguably the best producer of Swiss Movements in the world.

Welcome to the forum!

Kind Regards,
    Nick
    __________________________________________________ _______________________________________________

Thanks.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carlmaki View Post
    Are they good?
    Yes and reliable.

Are they cool?
    Don't know. Define "cool".

Are they overpriced Swatches?
    No. Good VFM.

Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

That one is cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike View Post
    Yes and reliable.

Don't know. Define "cool".

No. Good VFM.

Born in South Korea - Canadian citizen - Living in Philly Suburb

Omega, Breguet, Glaschutte Original are owned by Swatch group. That does not make them overpriced Swatches.

Mido is a very good value for the money BECAUSE many people have not heard about it.
    Chronic flipper...

Seems like Swatch is trying to be like Volkswagen. VW owns luxury brands like Audi, Bugatti, and Lamborghini. There are fans of all these companies because of their histories, designs, etc. But VW lets them run as standalone companies for the most part, and only certain parts and processes are shared to cut down on expenses. I own a Jetta, but I would never confuse the material and build quality for a Lamborghini. And yet all the profit for both goes to the same place.

In the case of Swatch, it seems to share the R&D for the movements across companies, which is another way of cutting costs. It helps that these movements are considered the industry standard at all quality levels. When you look at the entire Swatch group, don't think of the lowest common denominator--think of well made, reliable movements where each brand has distinct design aesthetics. Marketing departments may want to build an aura of exclusivity based on history, but the reality is different in a mass production environment. Not bad, per se, just different.

All of this is to say: 1) Swatch is highly savvy from a business perspective, 2) they make industry standard parts at all price points, 3) focus on design rather than exclusivity and you will probably score a watch with great value for the price.

Just my $0.02...

In some places of the world like Eastern Asia, owning a Mido is a big thing. Mido is very popular in Asia and South America. For whatever reason it has really never caught on in the United States. As of late it has started to pick up, but it's not like it's taking off. In the United States they market Hamilton, which many believe to be in par with Mido. I bought three Midos this year. Two of them last month. Like others here already stated, they are a great deal for the money. They quality is superb. If I was to hold an Omega,Longines and Mido diver, you really wouldn't be able to tell much difference between the quality in all three.

I own one MIDO - Ocean Commander.
    I bought it based on the reputation it has among the cognoscenti - like Mike Stuffler - here at WUS.
    EXCELLENT watch! Can't say 'nuf good things about it.
    Had MIDO put their $$ into hiring a celebrity to model their watches on GQ, their watches would fetch many times what they charge now.
    (On that note: screw Tag !) :p

lvt

Mido is one of the most underrated brand, their watches are good but the brand name doesn't sound terrible :P
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information