Military "Black Ops" Watch wanted... opinions needed

Thread: Military "Black Ops" Watch wanted... opinions needed

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Military "Black Ops" Watch wanted... opinions needed

So for my next watch I know I want a very 'military' looking watch, for lack of a better term my 'black ops' style watch... while there are many models out there that fit this style the main kicker would be my budget of $150 out the door.

As a gauge, watches that I have found and liked the style of in fitting with the above would be watches from MTM, Chase Durer, the GW7900, GW3000BB-1A, Frogman Models, etc. (G-Shocks need to be Atomic/Solar).

I appreciate all suggestions.
    Ω SMP 300M 2220.80 • Hamilton H78465553 • Helm Vanuatu 01AR1 • Laco Aachen • Vintage Seiko 5 6309-8239 • G-Shock GW7900B-1 • G-Shock MTG900 • DTW LE Chrono

True Grail : A. Lange & Söhne Zeitwerk

Re: Military "Black Ops" Watch wanted... opinions needed

Well yo can forget about the frogman; you can find a GW200 series for about $300 if you look, but they're only solar. You won't find an atomic/solar frogman for less than $500

Quote Originally Posted by SwedishElite22 View Post
    So for my next watch I know I want a very 'military' looking watch, for lack of a better term my 'black ops' style watch... while there are many models out there that fit this style the main kicker would be my budget of $150 out the door.

As a gauge, watches that I have found and liked the style of in fitting with the above would be watches from MTM, Chase Durer, the GW7900, GW3000BB-1A, Frogman Models, etc. (G-Shocks need to be Atomic/Solar).

I appreciate all suggestions.

Correct, I listed the Frogman as an example of the style of watch I liked, as a point of reference.

Quote Originally Posted by LJUSMC View Post
    Well yo can forget about the frogman; you can find a GW200 series for about $300 if you look, but they're only solar. You won't find an atomic/solar frogman for less than $500
    Ω SMP 300M 2220.80 • Hamilton H78465553 • Helm Vanuatu 01AR1 • Laco Aachen • Vintage Seiko 5 6309-8239 • G-Shock GW7900B-1 • G-Shock MTG900 • DTW LE Chrono

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

They all wear assorted G Shocks and Timexs. Try the GW 7900. That seems to be a pretty solid choice.

(Dedicated to the pink tiger stripe and the man behind it.)

I've got this one, the G Shock GW-7900B-1JF "Rescue" and I love it.
    Solar powered, automatic atomic time and rugged.
    Can usually find it for $100-$200 if you look around.

Armida A8 Brass / Benarus Vintage Moray 44 / Borealis Oceanaut / Bulova Lunar Pilot Chronograph / Citizen EcoZilla BJ8050-08E / Citizen Eco-Drive AT0524-54A / Deep Blue BlueTech Abyss 500 / Deep Blue Nato Diver 300 / Doxa SUB 1200t Professional / G-Shock GWN-1000-1B / G-Shock GW-7900B-1JF / Helberg CH6 Bronze / Helm Vanuatu / Helson Shark Diver 45 Brass / Hexa F74 / Karlskrona Baltic Shield / Lum-Tec M68 / Magrette Vantage Bronze / Makara Sea Turtle Hawksbill / Makara Octopus Bronze / Maranez Rawai Brass / Maratac SR1 / Pathfinder PAG40-5V / Redux Courg / River Tiber Sport / Seiko SUN023 / Seiko SRPA21 / Seiko SPR775 / Seiko SRP311 "Orange Monster" / Seiko SRP455K1 "100th Anniversary Blue Monster" / Seiko Yobokies "Snow Monster" / Seiko SKX779 "Black Monster" / Seiko SKX781 "Orange Monster" / Seiko SKX009 / Tmex Expedition T498759J / Undone Aqua / Undone Urban

If you aren't married to the idea of solar/atomic, the G-7900 (plain old battery-powered quartz) is often mentioned as having a better module. I've played with both and I prefer the plain G just for the fact that it shows the current time in CDT mode.
    Guys, I really really really do understand that there was a hack and that my password was reset, but I'm about to take a year off from WUS if you can't stop telling me about it every time I log in. With my password. That you reset.

Ok, spent 22 years in the USAR and deployed, so I've seen military watches, and them that sell some.

Just for a baseline, a real military watch is spring powered, with fairly large luminous numeric characters on the dial. Subdued low light colors, and a OD woven band laced thru both springbars.

You can go from Timex and Casio $25 models, up thru some pretty high end version for that. The actual soldier isn't usually issued one, it's a special MOS type thing - SF, Dive, Command, SEAL.

Since they're 100% tax dollar, price is important. In the day, Timex, Hamilton etc. Now, Marathon, or CWC. <--- Those are issue. The ones listed are for sale to anybody. Not anybody buys them, tho.

A watch a soldier buys is usually something he can rely on, will take a beating, and is affordable. At the groundpounder level, Timex, Casio, G-Shock. In the day, Seiko Dive watches were the discerning choice. They were actually sold in the PX in Vietnam, durable, and now actually iconic from the era among private purchase.

The MTM, Chase Durer, really, not so much. It's somewhat other that what the public thinks, soldiers tend to shy away from the uber tactical stuff. It's a matter of not staying in your lane. If you aren't actually SF/Delta/SEAL, then wearing one is a bit poser. The culture is hierarchal in a way, and more than bluntly honest. Covert OPs warriors don't wear Overt Special Operations Watches. Kind of a dead giveaway, except for the SEALS. They wear RESCO, because it's made by a SEAL, for SEALs. That's honest. But, they don't really look like a high end tacticool watch, either. All duty, no bling.

If it's got a NSN and CAGE number on it, it's much more likely to be a true military watch. "Black OPs" needs deniability, a SKX007 with no country of origin does the job better. You can't trace the wearer back to anything as long as he keeps his mouth shut.

Just my opinion having been in.

Thank you all for the responses.

The 7900b-1 has been on my list for a while but I wanted to see what else was out there along the same style lines.

When I say military/black ops looking I certainly understand real world sf etc are not wearing some cd sfwatch or mtm seal watch but the look of those mentioned is what I am looking at.

The 7900b-1 has the black with negative display for the stealthy look along with a moon and tide phase etc etc giving that sf appearance... but not knowing a lot of the models on the market I turn to the forum for suggestions.

I like the skx007 a lot esspecially in all black but the lack of numbers and just hash marks looks a lot like the rolex sub date which I don't like (the fact that it looks like it to a degree) but it has made the list.

If there are other models I should be considering please throw them out.

Tirod...thank you for the service and the post.

Thank you all for the responses.

The 7900b-1 has been on my list for a while but I wanted to see what else was out there along the same style lines.

When I say military/black ops looking I certainly understand real world sf etc are not wearing some cd sfwatch or mtm seal watch but the look of those mentioned is what I am looking at.

The 7900b-1 has the black with negative display for the stealthy look along with a moon and tide phase etc etc giving that sf appearance... but not knowing a lot of the models on the market I turn to the forum for suggestions.

I like the skx007 a lot esspecially in all black but the lack of numbers and just hash marks looks a lot like the rolex sub date which I don't like (the fact that it looks like it to a degree) but it has made the list.

If there are other models I should be considering please throw them out.

Tirod...thank you for the service and the post.

I wore a G-shock mostly but I don't remember the model. I do recall a lot of SF wearing Rolex GMTs, Explorers, even remember a Navitimer worn by one in garrison. In fact I bought my 16710 Pepsi off a friend at Camp Mackall back in '00. Watches weren't issued in my day and I don't think any SOF/SOC-types can make that claim either... I may be wrong? Maybe the 160th?
    Last edited by sierra11b; February 11th, 2012 at 02:23.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information