Ming 17.01: Another Review
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Ming 17.01: Another Review

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Ming 17.01: Another Review

The 17.01, Ming’s first and highly successful offering, was quickly sold out, with thousands of people scrambling and subscribing to get even a diminutive chance to get their hands on one of only 300 available pieces. I was one among the thousands of folks who missed out on the release, which closed literally within minutes.

I was recently lucky enough to have found one still freshly sealed in its airtight plastic—and I mean airtight! It seemed like every molecule of O2 was sucked out and the watch rested in a complete vacuum while waiting for its owner to give it life, air and wear.

I’m also lucky to be in a financial position to purchase it at a higher price than its initial pricing—and it’s worth every penny. In fact, after wearing and examining it closely, I’d even pay double what I paid, given the material and design details of the 17.01.

Over the past 24 hours the anthracite dial has revealed itself in multiple ways that delight the eyes. I keep starring at the organic curves (“circular elements”) of the Watch, in particular the flared lugs, as if my eyes are unwittingly harassing the watch.

The titanium makes this watch incredibly balanced on the wrist, and, while it’s respectably light, it retains a welcoming heft that denotes a quality watch.

The crown is easy to wind—15 delicious wind to full-stop and it has the perfect weight and “bounce-back” sensation. The 17.01 offers perhaps the best winding experience in a mechanical watch I’ve ever owned—even better than my JLC... and most certainly better than my PAM101 and 311 Speedmaster Moonwatch.

The leather straps garnered a couple of random comments (in other forums), launching complaints of their stiffness; the complainers had accused the strap as being “cheap” leather. The complaints are inaccurate and are most likely due to personal unfamiliarity with leather characteristics. These straps that Ming uses remind me of classic motorcycle jackets made from full-grain Steerhide or horsehide from such beloved makers as Schott and Aero Leathers—whose expensive leather jackets start out heavy, stiff, and serious until they break-in into a softer patina and last more than a lifetime. Likewise, these Ming straps are tough leather watch straps, yet refined in their aesthetics. And each watch comes with three different colors, each with its own buckle.

This watch appears prominently and with legibility when you look at it, and it disappears when you look away. In my book, that’s characteristics of a sustainable wristwatch.

I certainly am looking at their upcoming offerings—a dramatic step up in design, material, technology and, of course, pricing ($8,000).

Ming watches are the real deal.

Some random cellphone pictures over the past 24hrs:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by powerband; February 24th, 2018 at 07:53.
    avusblue and rfortson like this.
    Ticking Away the Moments that Make Up a Dull Day

Banned

Re: Ming 17.01: Another Review

The Ming site states 17.01 sold out at 900.00 CHF

Quote Originally Posted by priamo View Post
    Yep—like I wrote above. Sold out.

Ticking Away the Moments that Make Up a Dull Day

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hmmm, if they come out with a ladies line, will it be called the 'Dale Arden'?

Quote Originally Posted by priamo View Post
    Yep. They batched production, and sold 3 separate batches. Turned out to work brilliantly. I got one from the first batch, as the positive reviews were beginning to pour in. The next 2 batches...IIRC, 75 of each dial color (blue and black), sold out in minutes...as in, I believe, don't need to remove your shoes number of minutes. So that guarantees there were speculative buyers. I'd also add, the reviews did commonly mention it was a really good package for the price point.

I put mine on the light tan strap.
    powerband likes this.
    The truth is rarely pure and never simple.

Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest

Congrats. I also managed to score a blue one off eBay and is currently on its way to me, and I also paid quite a bit over its initial price. I had my doubts if it was going to be worth it, but took the risk, so I’m glad it worked out for you. The black one is more flexible but my collection was lacking a little colour so I went for the blue dial.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    powerband likes this.

Like what this micro brand is doing, although it’ll have a tough time marketing itself in the UK where to say something mings is a pretty derogatory term

chuasam likes this.

Cool review - thanks for sharing

Looks interesting, but--very few actual details, other than the price, and that it isn't available--how about things such as movement (what is it?), size--it looks absolutely huge (don't know your wrist size, but I am guessing the case is 45mm width and about 14mm height, or you have very small wrists...hard to tell as it looks oddly like you are wearing your watch on the hand side of your wrist bone)--how about a few more on the actual specs?

Quote Originally Posted by timefleas View Post
    Looks interesting, but--very few actual details, other than the price, and that it isn't available--how about things such as movement (what is it?), size--it looks absolutely huge (don't know your wrist size, but I am guessing the case is 45mm width and about 14mm height, or you have very small wrists...hard to tell as it looks oddly like you are wearing your watch on the hand side of your wrist bone)--how about a few more on the actual specs?
    Just check their website. Anyhow, strange what's happening

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information