WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Minimalist automatic for TINY wrists

2K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  skriefal 
#1 ·
Hey all,

Sorry if I'm just not looking hard enough but I have been looking through the forums for a few weeks now and not had much luck finding what I'm after. I'm looking for a minimalist watch (think Daniel Wellington) with automatic movement that doesn't look like I'm wearing a dinner plate on my arm, the few things that I am looking for is automatic movement, preferably gold and at most 38mm.

I have a super cheap ($3) watch I have been getting off Ali express or what ever it is that is absolutely perfect and if anyone could suggest something very close with a max price of say 5-600 I'd so happy. I have purchased about 4 of them over the last 2 years" and just chuck my normal band on it however they break pretty consistently after about 3 months so I figured it's time to lay down some real money.

I really like the Brathwaite minimalist but 40mm is just waaaay to bug for my tiny wrists. I'm a very small guy and I think 38 is pretty good but could even go smaller.

Any and all suggestions would be great and I have included a photo of the junk watch I have been getting for the last few years for reference

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
I was looking at the junghans but at $800aud plus that takes it way out of my price range. Ultimately I'd wanna spend $300aud-ish but I know if I'm looking for non quartz movement I'm probably pushing my luck there hence the willingness to go 5-600aud

#8 · (Edited)
Seiko SARB033? It is classic, black, sapphire crystal, and utilizes an in-house Seiko movement.
Even better is the case size of 38mm which is just right for anyone looking for a minimalist dress watch.
If you need something a little smaller then you should have a look at some of the Seiko 5 models.
Most of the Seiko 5 models can be found for under $100 with a case size of 37mm and all of them include a mechanical movement.
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery
Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

(Pictures from Google/Hodinkee)

#9 ·
Yeah I'd suggest looking at handwinds as well. The automatic rotor adds some thickness to the movement, which would look out of proportion on a smaller diameter dress watch. There are some ultra thin auto movements or movements with micro rotors, but the price range on those can be stratospheric. Smaller handwinding dress watches, however, are pretty easy to find, both new and vintage.

#10 ·
While I believe many are quick to go to the Seiko Sarb033/035 in too many situations where it does not fit the requirements of the OP, in this case, it is the perfect answer IMO.

Another consideration may be the Steinhart 38mm Marine watch.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

I know that neither of these are gold plated....but stainless steel watches are so much more diverse anyway.

#11 ·
While I believe many are quick to go to the Seiko Sarb033/035 in too many situations where it does not fit the requirements of the OP, in this case, it is the perfect answer IMO.

Another consideration may be the Steinhart 38mm Marine watch.

View attachment 7563642

I know that neither of these are gold plated....but stainless steel watches are so much more diverse anyway.
I never event thought to have a look at seiko and boy am I glad you suggested it. I think the sarb030 could be exactly what I'm looking for after having a look at a few in that range.

Also having a look at the Seiko sportsman diashock now that I found on eBay that might fit the bill. Its a bit on the small side but at $60aud I don't have much to lose

#12 · (Edited)
I own a super cheap watch once ($2) made out of plastic that makes your 80s swatch look like Rolexes. It lasted a mere week when it slip out of my hand as I try to unbuckle the plastic from my wrist as the plastic band was sticky and after it drop, it no longer runs [emoji37]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#13 ·
Reactions: BostonWatcher
#14 ·
Don't be afraid to look at so-called ladies' models. I loved the appearance on the Laco Old Look. 2 sizes: 42 and 36. The 36 is nominally the ladies' size...but they have the same look, so in my book, it's more fair to say lunch plate vs. dinner plate. :) I went with the lunch plate size.

And I'll second Archimede. OK, I'm seriously biased, especially today...as my Pilot 39 bronze arrived 2 hours ago. :) :) And I'm VERY happy with it. They said 1-2 weeks...16 days. Cool with that. FedEx'd from Germany to the US *next day*. :) I like pilot watches for their simplicity, and they have a Pilot 36...just not in bronze. (The 39 bronze is a bit over your budget, tho...bronze cases are pricier.) Klassic 36 is another option. I think Mido might be another brand to check; I believe some of theirs will come in a good size for you.

#17 ·
Don't be afraid to look at so-called ladies' models. I loved the appearance on the Laco Old Look. 2 sizes: 42 and 36. The 36 is nominally the ladies' size...but they have the same look, so in my book, it's more fair to say lunch plate vs. dinner plate. :) I went with the lunch plate size.
Ooh... that one is nice. Too bad I'm trying to avoid buying more watches...

I think this is the watch that you're referring to:
http://www.amazon.com/Laco-1925-Womens-861786-Classic/dp/B00BGMLW6C

#15 ·
Christopher Ward makes almost all their watches in 38mm.

#16 ·
I have no affiliation with the seller.

$140 shipped

Seiko
Model : SNXP18K
Type : Dress
Metal : gold plated
Movement : Automatic

Seiko 5
Caliber 7S26 ( 21 Jewels )

Day display in English /Spanish and date calendar.
Gold dial with numbers indexes

With crystal see-thru Crystal caseback
Water resistant.

Case width at crown 38mm
Case thickness 12
Bracelet reference: 1637-BE

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.