Minimalist automatic for TINY wrists
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Minimalist automatic for TINY wrists

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Minimalist automatic for TINY wrists

Hey all,

Sorry if I'm just not looking hard enough but I have been looking through the forums for a few weeks now and not had much luck finding what I'm after. I'm looking for a minimalist watch (think Daniel Wellington) with automatic movement that doesn't look like I'm wearing a dinner plate on my arm, the few things that I am looking for is automatic movement, preferably gold and at most 38mm.

I have a super cheap ($3) watch I have been getting off Ali express or what ever it is that is absolutely perfect and if anyone could suggest something very close with a max price of say 5-600 I'd so happy. I have purchased about 4 of them over the last 2 years" and just chuck my normal band on it however they break pretty consistently after about 3 months so I figured it's time to lay down some real money.

I really like the Brathwaite minimalist but 40mm is just waaaay to bug for my tiny wrists. I'm a very small guy and I think 38 is pretty good but could even go smaller.

Any and all suggestions would be great and I have included a photo of the junk watch I have been getting for the last few years for reference
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Minimalist automatic for TINY wrists

Just for reference the one I currently wear is 36mm and I think it is perfect size wise.

Try ignore the fact I currently have a terribly undersized band on as it is the band it comes with not the 20mm I normally put on it
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hamilton Intra Matic? 38mm and classic looking.
    brandon\ likes this.
    "This thing all things devours:
    Birds, beasts, trees, flowers;
    Gnaws iron, bites steel,
    Grinds hard stones to meal;
    Slays king, ruins town,
    And beats high mountain down."
    J.R.R. Tolkien

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

pantagruel has given you a good tip here - take a look at Hamilton Thin-o-matic, too. Others to check out: Archimede Klassik 36 and Autran & Viala Moment. Go to their websites (German). These are more 'classic' than 'minimalist' but they might do the trick for you.
    pantagruel likes this.

Handwind rather than auto; take a look at the Junghans Max Bill handwind (34 mm).

If you're willing to fall down the rabbit hole, go vintage. What you're describing was the style of the late 50s and early 60s. Factor in an extra $100 for service by a professional.

1961 Bulova Royal Clipper
    Name:  DSC02721.JPG
Views: 430
Size:  558.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by WesternNYer View Post
    pantagruel has given you a good tip here - take a look at Hamilton Thin-o-matic, too. Others to check out: Archimede Klassik 36 and Autran & Viala Moment. Go to their websites (German). These are more 'classic' than 'minimalist' but they might do the trick for you.
    I was looking at the junghans but at $800aud plus that takes it way out of my price range. Ultimately I'd wanna spend $300aud-ish but I know if I'm looking for non quartz movement I'm probably pushing my luck there hence the willingness to go 5-600aud

Seiko SARB033? It is classic, black, sapphire crystal, and utilizes an in-house Seiko movement.
    Even better is the case size of 38mm which is just right for anyone looking for a minimalist dress watch.
    If you need something a little smaller then you should have a look at some of the Seiko 5 models.
    Most of the Seiko 5 models can be found for under $100 with a case size of 37mm and all of them include a mechanical movement.
    Name:  Seiko SARB033.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  93.8 KBName:  Seiko 5 Dress.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  147.6 KB
    (Pictures from Google/Hodinkee)
    Last edited by ConfusedOne; March 25th, 2016 at 18:46.
    Current Collection

| Rolex Date | Hamilton Khaki Mechanical | Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic | Seiko 5 SNK809 | NTH Scorpène | Melbourne Portsea | Halios Seaforth Series III |

Instagram: @confusedwristwatches

Yeah I'd suggest looking at handwinds as well. The automatic rotor adds some thickness to the movement, which would look out of proportion on a smaller diameter dress watch. There are some ultra thin auto movements or movements with micro rotors, but the price range on those can be stratospheric. Smaller handwinding dress watches, however, are pretty easy to find, both new and vintage.

While I believe many are quick to go to the Seiko Sarb033/035 in too many situations where it does not fit the requirements of the OP, in this case, it is the perfect answer IMO.

Another consideration may be the Steinhart 38mm Marine watch.

Name:  253714035marine38gold.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  23.1 KB

I know that neither of these are gold plated....but stainless steel watches are so much more diverse anyway.
    WesternNYer likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information