Minneapolis this weekend ... any interesting watch sellers, food, things to see & do?
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Minneapolis this weekend ... any interesting watch sellers, food, things to see & do?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Minneapolis this weekend ... any interesting watch sellers, food, things to see & do?

Lovely Wife and I are driving up to Minneapolis over the Columbus Day weekend to see Number One Stepson, who is studying at MCAD.

He'll be busy part of the time, so I'd be interested in a little watchbrowsing and LW is interested in some lake scenery stuff and local (fall?) color.. Any suggestions from Minnesotans out there?

Last time, thanks to the advice of two kind WUSers, we sampled the local Juicy Lucy and I hit Ben Bridge. This time we're planning a visit to Pizzeria Lola for some kimchee pizza (What a concept!!)

Welcoming further ideas!

Thanks,
    Steve
    Over a half century of "just the right amount of odd."

Re: Minneapolis this weekend ... any interesting watch sellers, food, things to see & do?

I'm not sure if you're into Grand Seikos, but there is an authorized dealer in Minneapolis, Midwest Diamond and Watch Co., US Bank Building, 220 South 6th Street, Suite 260, MN 55402. That's the store I'm planning on visiting when I'm in Minneapolis at the end of the month, as there are no Grand Seiko ADs in the San Diego area, but given that you're from Chicago, you might have more options there.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Certina DS-2; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Sistem51, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

Re: Minneapolis this weekend ... any interesting watch sellers, food, things to see & do?

No suggestions as I haven't been to Minneapolis in years but have fun!
    Rolex Submariner
    Zenith Chronomaster XT Open El Primero

Omega Seamaster James Bond 007 Limited Edition
    Kobold Comanche
    Helson Sharkmaster
    Sinn U1
    Alpina Extreme Diver

Maurice Lacroix Miros
    Ball B&O First Mile

Edox Classe Royale Open Heart Automatic
    Shinola Brakeman 46

Luminox 3000 Navy Seal Diver
    Hamilton Khaki Navy Sub
    Seiko Black Monster
    Citizen Ecozilla
    Deep Blue Sunray Diver 1k
    and various other makes and models

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

There are some interesting watches in the gift shop at the Walker Art Center. Not especially expensive, but interesting designs. Plus the Walker is a great gallery.

You could drive around Lake Minnetonka, maybe have some lunch in Excelsior. (I like the new taco joint Lago Tacos). Then you could hit up the JB Hudson in Ridgedale (B+R, Omega, Tag, Breitling, et al). RF Moeller also has several locations around in nice spots and carries Rolex.

Thanks guys, for some helpful ideas and good wishes.

Might go to the MIA rather than the Walker, because Jakob is studying at MCAD, which is right nearby.
    I do like the idea about Lake Minnetonka and tacos, though I'm really looking forward to pizza at Lola's, so my caloric dance card may be full.
    (#1 culinary objective: Lady ZaZa house-made kimchi and Korean sausage, serrano peppers, scallions, sesame & soy chili glaze) -- at Lola's)

As for watches ... I enjoy a visit to a watch store, but it's not like I don't have an escapement of watch dealers (newly invented term of venery!) in Chicago.
    Even a Grand Seiko dealer in neighboring suburb ... oh, I'm so spoiled.

If you're going to be downtown, J.B. Hudson downtown on Nicollet mall has some nice watches (JLC, Breguet, Omega) as does Wixon Jewelers (Patek, ALS etc).
    MIA is cool, my favorite painting is there (Frank by chuck close). Minnetonka is a ways out if you dont know the area, I'd say stick around the calhoun/lake of the isles area.
    dbakiva and Styx like this.
    Current Rotation:
    6 Keepers, 2 Rotators
    and a few guilty pleasures...

Dress Watches Casual Watches Sport Watches Rotators
    High A. Lange & Söhne 1815 Up/Down Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Chrono Rolex GMT Master II 16710 Breguet Classique Chronograph 3237
    Low Cartier Tank Basculante Heuer Carrera 1964 Re-Edition CS3111 Longines Legend Diver no-date Ralph Lauren Slim 867 White Gold

Instagram @mzhammer_wis

Hit up JB Hudson in Minneapolis or Minnetonka, they are the only authorized Omega dealer in Minnesota. If you're going to buy a watch there, I did buy my SMP at the Minnetonka location for 10 percent off, hope this helps if you are planning to buy something. Also I would recommend searching up and eating at Bun Mi and Masu Sushi & Robata for some of their famous Pork Belly Ramen served there. Have fun in Minneapolis, this is my home town. Also if you want Juicy Lucy burgers, hit up Matt's Bar, they are the best imo. For scenery, you can walk across the Stone Arch Bridge, it has a waterfall you can stare at as well as the nice cityscape on one side. Great place for taking pictures. Not too far away from the Stone Arch Bridge is a beautiful Guthrie Theatre that you can browse around and stare outside to see Minneapolis, and especially with the famous yellow window floor.

http://www.bunmisandwiches.com/

http://masusushiandrobata.com/

http://www.mattsbar.com/

http://www.jbhudson.com/

http://stonearchbridge.com/

http://www.guthrietheater.org/
    Last edited by ddldave; October 10th, 2013 at 16:08.
    dbakiva likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MZhammer View Post
    If you're going to be downtown, J.B. Hudson downtown on Nicollet mall has some nice watches (JLC, Breguet, Omega) as does Wixon Jewelers (Patek, ALS etc).
    MIA is cool, my favorite painting is there (Frank by chuck close). Minnetonka is a ways out if you dont know the area, I'd say stick around the calhoun/lake of the isles area.
    Thanks, I understand there are some nice walking trails around Lake Hariett, whcih I think is in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by ddldave View Post
    Hit up JB Hudson in Minneapolis or Minnetonka, they are the only authorized Omega dealer in Minnesota. If you're going to buy a watch there, I did buy my SMP at the Minnetonka location for 10 percent off, hope this helps if you are planning to buy something. Also I would recommend searching up and eating at Bun Mi and Masu Sushi & Robata for some of their famous Pork Belly Ramen served there. Have fun in Minneapolis, this is my home town. Also if you want Juicy Lucy burgers, hit up Matt's Bar, they are the best imo. For scenery, you can walk across the Stone Arch Bridge, it has a waterfall you can stare at as well as the nice cityscape on one side. Great place for taking pictures.
    Now you're talkin' my language. Banh Mi are the best sandwiches ever. When Lovely Wife and I drove from Chicago to see her family in New Hampshire, I picked up a bunch of Banh Mi (bread packed separately to avoid sogginess) for our lunches at rest stops along the way. LW is really interested in the pork belly ramen suggestion. We did Matt's last time we were there. And many thanks for the links!

Bun Mi is not your typical Banh Mi, it's the best there is! You'll love it a bunch. If you're unsure of what to get, I recommend the Bun Mi Special. The special thing about Bun Mi, is that they cook your food right when you order. So it comes out hot and fresh. I'm a Vietnamese American, so I know good Vietnamese food when I taste one. =P
    Last edited by ddldave; October 10th, 2013 at 16:40.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information