Minutes and seconds hands question
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Minutes and seconds hands question

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Minutes and seconds hands question

Hello fellas!
    Recently noticed that, when seconds hand on my CW C60, hits the 60 seconds mark, the minutes hand is on some random position instead of being on the exact minute mark. For example sometimes the seconds hand goes nearly 15 seconds of the new minute when the minutes hand hit the mark of that minute. Sometimes is even worse, 20-25 seconds and no new minute mark has been reached. Is there a problem with the watch or this is normal Sellita behaviour?

Sent using my telepathic superpowers!

Re: Minutes and seconds hands question

Set the minute hand to the correct position with the second hand set to 60...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
    rfortson likes this.

When you set it did you set it exactly to the second ? When the hour hand is at 12 does the second hand overlap it ?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

First you have to set it so that when the seconds reaches 12 it is exacly on a minute marker. Then it should follow exactly on every succeeding marker. That is definitely not normal Sellita behavior.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

If the minute hand is hitting at different points (and wasnt just set with an initial bias) it seems like that would mean the clutch is slipping (I mean the part that disengages the minute and hour hand when you set it, I dont know if the horological term is clutch but that's its function so imma call it that). Otherwise, the seconds minutes and hours are a simple matter of gear ratio and I dont see any other way they could fall out of alignment. Is the watch running noticeably slow?

Set the minutes hand right on the minute marker when the seconds hand is at 12. It should remain consistent until you reset the time again, and if it doesn't then there is something wrong with the movement. It's not a typical issue with Sellita movements.

If the hour hand is off when the minute hand hits 12, then the hands weren't lined up accurately when the minute hand was placed onto the movement - the hands will have to be removed and place back on properly.
    Last edited by heywatchit!!; 4 Weeks Ago at 05:47.

Thank you all for the replies!

I did intentionally place the minutes hand exactly over the minute mark when setting the time, and the seconds hand over 60 seconds mark, but still seconds and minutes hands does not move in synchronization. I will start measuring deviation rates of the movement, but last time I did that the watch goes +6 seconds in 24 hours alongside the strange minutes hand behaviour.

Quote Originally Posted by zaskoo View Post
    Thank you all for the replies!

I did intentionally place the minutes hand exactly over the minute mark when setting the time, and the seconds hand over 60 seconds mark, but still seconds and minutes hands does not move in synchronization. I will start measuring deviation rates of the movement, but last time I did that the watch goes +6 seconds in 24 hours alongside the strange minutes hand behaviour.

It would be good to watch it... odds are that it doesn't change over time. After you set it, there might be some slack, or play, in the movement that has to be taken up before the hands start moving together. But once they start moving together they stay that way.

On some movements, if you move the minute hand ahead 10 or 15 minutes, and then back to the correct time when setting, it might help with this. Any pictures of how far off it it?
    ​Grand Seiko SBGE033, Jaquest Droz Grande Seconde, Breitling Navitimer Cosmonaute, Prometheus Piranha, Orient Wingman, Zeppelin Flatline 7366-3, Glashutte Original PanoMaticLunar, Epos Emotion 3390, Steinhart Ocean 2 Premium, Hamilton Khaki Field, Omega 1965 Vintage, Seiko 5 SNKK27, Seiko 1977 Vintage, Nomos Orion 38, Wittnauer 1960's Vintage, Movado SL1 Chrono, Seiko SBQK085, Cyma Le Locle, Casio Oceanus OCW-S100-1AJF

There is a friction-based slipping/clutch mechanism built into all watches that allows the minute and seconds hands to move independently during time setting. Otherwise, whenever you set the time on a watch, the seconds hand would spin wildly around the dial as you turn the crown. In normal running, their relative positions should stay fixed, but if you don't align them when you set the time, you can have your minute hand halfway between minutes when the seconds hand cross the 12 o'clock mark. This isn't a Sellita or ETA or Seiko, or mechanical or quartz thing. Every analog watch will do this. If you want the minutes hand to be aligned on the marker when the second hand hits 12, you need to light it up that way when you set the time.

On a hacking movement (movement where the seconds stops when the crown is pulled to the time setting position), pull the crown when the seconds hand is at 12 to stop it. Then align the minutes hand with the minute marker. Sync with your time source of choice and pop the crown back it. The hands should now align with the markers at the correct times.

Sometimes there can be a little lash or play in the mechanism, so even though the minute hand appears to be right on the marker when you push the crown in, it can shift very slightly out of sync once you push the crown back in. You may need to wiggle the hand a little bit while setting to feel out the play in the wheel train.
    zaskoo and Camguy like this.