ML MasterChrono - 7750 /w Gold Chatons?

Thread: ML MasterChrono - 7750 /w Gold Chatons?

ML MasterChrono - 7750 /w Gold Chatons?

First of all, there's one for $2,000 on www.blingdaily.com

Second of all, I was just looking at the movement image and noticed something that isn't on the typical Valjoux 7750... gold chatons! And hey, it's got an extra jewel too (26) and the mainspring must be different because the power reserve is 44hrs, just like an IWC...

I then went looking around at other ML masterpiece watches and the 6497 pieces seem to have not just gold chatons but also angled bridges.

Now granted ML is using ETA bases here, but I do wonder if they are a bit underappreciated given the finishing they apply -- especially if there is additional functional finishing that goes on beyond the decorative finishing above (not that chatons and anglage are merely decorative, but it would be interesting to see if they, say, finished the top plate any better than base ETA spec).
    Last edited by spluurfg; September 4th, 2009 at 15:11.

Banned

Re: ML MasterChrono - 7750 /w Gold Chatons?

Their finishing is part of the reason they're gaining respect. FYI: "angled" is called beveled. Where two beveled pieces meet to form an inside angle (meaning under 180˚ but usually 90˚ or less) it's called chamfering. From what I've read, no machine can make a chamfered joint inside a watch perfectly - it has to be done by hand.

my dear sir, you are a WIS's WIS. i allways gleen something from ur posts.
    Enjoying a life far better than I deserve...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The finishing is fine, but at this level they could have added a micrometric regulator for the 6497.
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

Please excuse my stupid ignorance but what is a chaton? Im guessing its the 'casing' around the jewels in the movement?

Quote Originally Posted by liam2051 View Post
    Please excuse my stupid ignorance but what is a chaton? Im guessing its the 'casing' around the jewels in the movement?
    It is.
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

Quote Originally Posted by Erik_H View Post
    It is.
    Thankyou

Quote Originally Posted by ulackfocus View Post
    Their finishing is part of the reason they're gaining respect. FYI: "angled" is called beveled. Where two beveled pieces meet to form an inside angle (meaning under 180˚ but usually 90˚ or less) it's called chamfering. From what I've read, no machine can make a chamfered joint inside a watch perfectly - it has to be done by hand.
    Heh, well I just used 'angled' in reference to the anglage on the bridge edges, as I've seen that used on a few articles and assumed it to be accepted. I didn't find any large enough photos to confirm chamfered screws or what not =P

I wonder where the extra jewel goes... I did a quick visual comparison with other 7750's and it doesn't appear to be any of the ones visible from the image. Unlike some of their other ETA-variants, Sellita doesn't add a jewel to the SW500 based on the 7750, so that reduces the probability that it's done before it reaches ML... unless they are using someone like La Joux Perret?

It looks like the chatons are on the jewels for the minute accumulator, fourth wheel, escapement wheel... not sure what the last one is, don't have a 7750 handy =P I'm really curious to see what the top plate of the movement looks like...

for a newer swiss watch company they make some very nice stuff, i have been thinking about buying something from there line also
    Tag Heuer Carrera vintage calibre 1
    Tag Heuer Aquaracer caliber S
    Tag Heuer link automatic
    Tag Heuer aquaracer chronotimer
    Tag Heuer aquaracer grande date
    Philip admirale chrono v7750
    Burett neo icon auto
    Movado elliptica
    Invicta 9937 auto

Thread Information