Modding quartz watches?

Thread: Modding quartz watches?

Modding quartz watches?

I own a Sinn 566a that I like a lot. First, I like the looks. It's simple and elegant. Second, I like the idea that it has a complex anachronistic mechanism. Give that I spend all of my waking hours on a computer, it's cool to own something that's mechanical like this. Third, I like that it ticks. When I was a boy my bedside clock was a wind-up mechanical alarm clock.
    Name:  17db5016cb34de870eb2dfbcd4b738f8.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  88.4 KB

But I don't like that I need to be careful with the mechanism. I want to not have to worry about what's going to happen if my kid takes my watch and drops it from 3 feet. I also don't like the idea of having to service it every few years. I also don't like having to update the time once a week. But, for now, this is the price I am willing to pay for a watch that looks good.

So, I'm wondering, assuming that there exists no quartz watch that looks as good as the 556a (I've looked), how might I go about making a custom watch which looks like my 556a yet requires less coddling? And while I'm at it, I'd like my watch to not have that horrible date window (sorry) and that stupid "Made in Germany" text. And if I'm being honest I'd like the Sinn logo to be removed too. I want it plain.

I see that there's a big community built around modding mechanical watches like the Seiko 5, but what about quartz watches? Or are there characteristics of these watches that make them unsuitable for modding?

I've love to make a watch that only needs to be reset twice a year during the daylight savings change and only needs a battery change once a decade. Can it be done?
    SaveSave

Re: Modding quartz watches?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rolex, Nomos, Panerai and Sekio

Not a troll. I'm serious. I love my watch. But I watch a beater while I still have young children in my house.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'm also willing to spend several hundred dollars on a watch with these characteristics, maybe even a thousand. I love mechanical watches but they serve a different purpose and my kids make sure I'm not allowed to own fragile things.

I'm going to guess that some will say that for what you will spend on a cheap quartz watch, it isn't worth the cost of modding. It's actually an interesting question, sort of. There are quartz Seikos that are pretty mod-ready. (I'm converting a 6309 Seiko automatic to a quartz right now).
    If you never believe in anything, you'll never be disappointed.

I think your seriously underestimating the robustness of a mechanical watch. Your watch is either on your wrist or stashed away, no way should they be accessible to your kids to throw around. If you're careless and leave it laying around then maybe you're at a point in your life you need to take a break from nice mechanicals.

Why not just do a Dagaz or Yobokies Sinn Homage. Sterile with the looks of the original with a robust Seiko auto movement at a price you don't care if the kids beat the crap out of it.

Name:  Image1467421736.437958.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  243.3 KB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information