Monster Quality or Monster Crap?

Thread: Monster Quality or Monster Crap?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Monster Quality or Monster Crap?

I recently sold a monster on the forum here.
    The buyer demanded a return claiming that the watch should have been rated at 80%. I refunded his moneys without dispute.
    But I need to know, is my eye just way off?
    The watch has no mechanical issues and I have loaded some pics.
    Any help is appreicated, even if you think I should have rated it at 20%

Re: Monster Quality or Monster Crap?

I think those percentage ratings are bogus. 80%, 85%, it's all subjective. I feel if you list all the condition remarks with reasonable care, you'll be perfectly fine.
    -Jarrod

I am the forum member who returned the monster to j_hennry. Below are some pics that show more clearly the condition of the crystal along with an excerpt from the PM that I sent him when I received the watch.

I believe the pictures speak for themselves in illustrating the problem I had with the watch. The only reason it was returned was because it didn't come close to the description provided in the sales post.

=============
    I got the monster in today's mail and I'm not
    pleased. Your sales post said "great condition, no
    scratching on crystal, case with a few tiny
    scratches on the lugs, TZ: 97%"

I hate to say it, but this watch is not even close
    to 97%! It has plenty of small scratches and
    marks all over its case and bezel. And the crystal
    has some kind of weird haze on it around 10:00
    through 2:00, plus some scratches. See the
    pictures I took below.

Thanks for the affordable purchase, but this piece
    is easily worth $20 less than what I paid. If I were
    rating this watch for sale, I would probably put it
    at TZ 80% (or lower). What is this crap on the
    crystal?! It looks like some kind of stain, but trust
    me when I say it doesn't come off.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by watch-man7777 View Post
    I think those percentage ratings are bogus. 80%, 85%, it's all subjective. I feel if you list all the condition remarks with reasonable care, you'll be perfectly fine.

I agree...
    Sounds like you did the right thing for the buyer, relist it and show as many pictures as possible and just disclose everything you see, good luck

No harm, no foul in my book (except for the waste of time for the buyer). The watch is definitely NOT in 97% shape. I'd say the buyer is correct in his description and his pictures definitely bring the issues with the watch to light.

It's tough to rate watches with a percentage rating b/c it's highly subjective. Whenever I list a watch for sale, I go into nit picking detail with EVERY single thing that seperates it from being a new watch so that there are no surprises for the buyer.
    *Nick*
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor souls who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat " - Theodore Roosevelt

The condition of the case is probably in the 90% range. Not sure what is wrong with the crystal - did you try cleaning it with some lens cleaner? How could it even be listed as 97% with a crystal defect?
    Lots of dive watches.

Wow stump bass. I did not mention you by name in the post and was not seeking to make things personal with this post. but honestly I can't see with the naked eye your "gunk on the dial, etc..." I just figured you had second thought on wanting a monster and got you your money back.
    Regardless your contirbution to the thread here seems unecessary, perhaps it would have been better had you sat on the sidelines and let others contirbute their opinions. As you have a refund, I don't believe WE have any dispute. Correct me if I am wrong.

Mods: you may want to kill this thread.
    Last edited by j_hennry; March 25th, 2010 at 04:30.

Quote Originally Posted by j_hennry View Post
    Wow stump bass. I did not mention you by name in the post and was not seeking to make things personal with this post. but honestly I can't see with the naked eye your "gunk on the dial, etc..." I just figured you had second thought on wanting a monster and got you your money back.
    Regardless your contirbution to the thread here seems unecessary, perhaps it would have been better had you sat on the sidelines and let others contirbute their opinions. As you have a refund, I don't believe WE have any dispute. Correct me if I am wrong.

Mods: you may want to kill this thread.
    I for one found the buyer's pics to be informative and they fully justified a refund. Did you *really* not see the problem with the crystal in the pics?

j_hennry - I do not feel the buyer has done anything wrong here - the pics you posted clearly do not show the defect mentioned, but the defect is very clear in the buyer's pics. I suggest you examine your watches more carefully next time before you list them. The refund was the correct action here and I am glad it has been resolved.
    Lots of dive watches.

Looks like a coating on the crystal gone wrong. Does the Monster have AR?

hmm... 97% would be basically new... not a hard one to figure out. While I think 80% is a bit off...90 would be in there.

All that needs to happen when selling is to leave no scratch or other imperfections out of the description, even if it takes a loupe or mega-macro lens to see them.

Personally, I believe there are people in this world that are never happy, so just go about things as best you can and be done with it...
    Too many flipped...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information