Mont Blanc Watches?

Thread: Mont Blanc Watches?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Mont Blanc Watches?

What do you guys think about Mont Blanc watches? I know they're known for their pens but I stopped by the Montblanc shop other day and was quite impressed with the looks and finish of the watches. I really like their TimeWalker line and was curious to hear opinions on their quality, movements, etc...

Re: Mont Blanc Watches?

I only had some background info from articles from IW magazine but I was impressed with their product and in particular the Timewalker lineup. I even bailed on buying a ML to get one and will be paying for the Timewalker tomorrow. The case shape in and of itself is very nice to look at. They are a great size, elegant and more importantly for tomorrow within my budget...
    I will have to elaborate more once its paid for and shows up.

Looks-wise, I think they look nice. But I'm not sure how many watch collectors or WISes would take Mont Blanc watches seriously...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I, for one.
    Quote Originally Posted by BenL View Post
    Looks-wise, I think they look nice. But I'm not sure how many watch collectors or WISes would take Mont Blanc watches seriously...

I've heard these watches are well reputed swiss made and comparable with Omega when I was looking them over at an AD in Toronto recently. The sales people who helped me told me they were higher end watches comparable to Omega or maybe slight less in quality.

Don't always believe watch sales people.
    Quote Originally Posted by maveriiick View Post
    I've heard these watches are well reputed swiss made and comparable with Omega when I was looking them over at an AD in Toronto recently. The sales people who helped me told me they were higher end watches comparable to Omega or maybe slight less in quality.

I too think they look quite elegant. But I don't think they are in the same league as Omega.

I'm not sure how much discount you are receiving, but MB's do not merit its price tag.
    Current Rotation:
    Rolex DSSD
    Rolex SeaDweller 16600
    Rolex Submariner 16610 "LV"
    APROO Rubberclad black
    APROO bumblebee
    Hublot Ice Bang
    Hublot Tantalum Bang
    JLC Amvox 5

Garage:
    14 Maserati Ghibli SQ4
    15 Porsche 911 S
    16 Range Rover Sport

I've also read that while Omega is deemed to be a very good quality watch, this watch brand's success has actually been driven by mass marketing (i.e. James Bond movies), and as such other less known watches are easily comparable if not better than Omega, but do not pay out to have same degree of exposure as Omega (i.e. Ebel, Longines, Montblanc, Blancpain, etc). Is this true?

Quote Originally Posted by maveriiick View Post
    I've also read that while Omega is deemed to be a very good quality watch, this watch brand's success has actually been driven by mass marketing (i.e. James Bond movies), and as such other less known watches are easily comparable if not better than Omega, but do not pay out to have same degree of exposure as Omega (i.e. Ebel, Longines, Montblanc, Blancpain, etc). Is this true?
    As usual it's not a black and white true or false answer. Does Omega have more agressive marketing than Longines? Probably. Does this marketing account for a significant amount of the success? I leave this to the reader to decide.

'Comparable' is an extremely nebulous and vague word and can be qualified/quantified in many ways. Some might argue that Longines and Tissot offer quality comparable to Omega. How does one gauge whether the use of the word is appropriate?

One thing I will point out is that Omega movements are genuinely differentiated from standard ETA movements from a mechanical standpoint. This is horologically interesting, and may have some tangible benefits, but how important this is must be decided by the prospective buyer, as standard ETA movements are perfectly adequate for their function.

Montblanc's lower range (i.e. less than $10,000 or so) in general use unmodified ETA movements and third party complications modules, which is no bad thing; Longines, Tag Heuer, and Breitling for the most part do the same, just to name a few. So you are getting a quality product in both cases. Finer points of comparison are much more difficult to make and certainly not answerable by true/false.

Banned

Er, they make great pens.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information