Moon Phase Question(s)
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Moon Phase Question(s)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Moon Phase Question(s)

I've recently started to really take an interest in moon phase indicators but something seems off to me. I've been pouring over lists of the most accurate moon phase watches, etc, but I notice that nearly every watch on nearly every list seems to be off about the actual shape of the moon half the time. I'm talking about the "Gibbous" phases of the moon.

For example on the watch below, the moon is in the Waxing Gibbous phase:

Name:  IMG_4183.JPG
Views: 478
Size:  63.8 KB

But as you can see, because of the dial layout, the moon here is still in a crescent shape (albeit a very fat crescent). In actuality it should be in more like a lopsided oval, or rounded (but definitely not crescent) shape, as seen here in the actual Waxing Gibbous moon:

Name:  IMG_4184.JPG
Views: 437
Size:  58.0 KB

I guess what I'm learning when people talk about 'accuracy' they are talking about the actual time it takes for the moon to go through its full cycle from full back to full again...? Is no one concerned with properly representing the actual shape of the visible moon during its cycle?

There are some that manage to pull it off by using an actual 3D ball instead of a 2D disc, like this De Bethune, shown in its proper Waxing Gibbous phase:

Name:  IMG_9063.jpeg
Views: 438
Size:  635.1 KB

Is it just too hard to do? Or does no one actually care?

Or...this is entirely possible...am I missing something?

Re: Moon Phase Question(s)

I haven't really thought about it..and now that I did, I don't really care

Seriously though, I thought they only put the moon phase complication for aesthetic reasons..there must have been some legit reasons before but I can't think of any right now..
    Watchbreath and variable like this.

Noticed it. Didn't care.
    variable likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by BDG2016 View Post
    I've recently started to really take an interest in moon phase indicators but something seems off to me. I've been pouring over lists of the most accurate moon phase watches, etc, but I notice that nearly every watch on nearly every list seems to be off about the actual shape of the moon half the time. I'm talking about the "Gibbous" phases of the moon.

For example on the watch below, the moon is in the Waxing Gibbous phase:

Name:  IMG_4183.JPG
Views: 478
Size:  63.8 KB

But as you can see, because of the dial layout, the moon here is still in a crescent shape (albeit a very fat crescent). In actuality it should be in more like a lopsided oval, or rounded (but definitely not crescent) shape, as seen here in the actual Waxing Gibbous moon:

Name:  IMG_4184.JPG
Views: 437
Size:  58.0 KB

I guess what I'm learning when people talk about 'accuracy' they are talking about the actual time it takes for the moon to go through its full cycle from full back to full again...? Is no one concerned with properly representing the actual shape of the visible moon during its cycle?

There are some that manage to pull it off by using an actual 3D ball instead of a 2D disc, like this De Bethune, shown in its proper Waxing Gibbous phase:

Name:  IMG_9063.jpeg
Views: 438
Size:  635.1 KB

Is it just too hard to do? Or does no one actually care?

Or...this is entirely possible...am I missing something?
    in my own opinion they are mostly meant to be aesthetic and look very 'purrty'. however, there are some time pieces with very accurate moon phase readings.

https://plus.google.com/+Watchestry/posts/TmquRocTTSh
    Sevenmack likes this.
    ... What time is it? ...

lvt

Moon phase is the most useless complication. I don't mind having it on my watch but it can't take half the dial estate like the above watches.

I'm a professional [desk] diver.
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

I have found it much cheaper just to look up.
    Ukal and MaDTempo like this.

I have a winder specifically so that I don't ever have to set my moonphase again... anywho, in the few times I bother to check the moonphase, I am essentially looking for two pieces of information:

1) is the moon waning or waxing?
    2) how soon will the next new/full moon be?

The degree to which the moon is waning/waxing and how the watch accounts for that, isn't really noticeable/important for me
    WatchUSee is WatchIGot
    Casio - G-Shock GW-5000-1jf |
    Garmin - Forerunner 245 Music | Grand Seiko - Snowflake (SBGA011) | Longines - Master Collection (L2.673) | | MeisterSinger - Panagaea Day Date|Monta -Triumph | Nomos Glashutte - Club Datum | Orient - Mako mod | Rolex - Explorer I (214270 mk2) | Seiko - SKX007/09 mods | Stowa- Klassik Flieger

These days, the purpose of a moon phase is to delight its owner with simulations of the phases de lune. That is all. I love my moon phase, but I'm not crazy to think that accurate depiction of crescents and all matter.
    Invicta 2875, Citizen Eco-Drive Calibre 9000 Minute Repeater, 1965 Seiko Sportsmatic 5 Weekdater, 1940s Doxa with Small Seconds, Early 1950s Seiko (Still identifying movement), Bulova 96A110 Mechanical, Stuhrling Millenial Ravine Hand-Wind, Citizen Eco-Drive Calibre 8651, Stuhrling Original Zeppelin Skeleton, Christopher Ward C5 Malvern, Stuhrling Original Tuskegee Flier, Stuhrling Original Executive II, Seiko Cocktail Time SARB065, Seiko Presage SARX015, Bulova Precisionist Wilton, Bulova Precisionist 98B224 Big Blue, Eterna KonTiki Date, Citizen World Perpetual A-T, Citizen Signature Grand Classic NB0040-07A Silver Ice, FitBit Charge 2

I've actually thought about this a bit and have wondered the same. But I think a truly accurate depiction of the phases would be pretty difficult for a traditional moonphase complication, because the "shape" of the moon changes from just a sliver of a crescent, becoming thicker to a perfect half circle - then to the lopsided oval shape of the gibbous, and becoming more circular and less oval shaped as it gets closer to full. It's similar to the longitudinal lines when looking at a globe - they "straighten" as it gets closer to a half-full moon, and become more curved as it's nearing full or new moon.

So they would somehow need to obscure not only the correct part of the moon indicator, but also the correct shape (and side) to truly depict the phase accurately. This would also create complications (no pun intended!) if selling internationally, since the moon appears upside-down in your non-native hemisphere.

Name:  Moon Pictures.JPG
Views: 310
Size:  227.1 KB

Name:  Longitude-Lines.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  24.3 KB
    Ard likes this.
    Rolex Sea-Dweller 16600 | Omega SMPc | Rolex Datejust 16014 | Zenith El Primero 1969 Reissue | Panerai Luminor PAM120 | Rolex Explorer II 16570 | ​Omega Speedmaster 3511.50 |Archimede Pilot 39H |Seiko SKX009
    CT Photographer

Facebook

This close enough. Set it once every 20 years or so when the Eco-drive goes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Paulo 8135 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information