Moral dilemma in spending
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: Moral dilemma in spending

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Moral dilemma in spending

There is always a struggle in my mind while it comes to spending on unessential things. Right now I like some 4-5 watches in the range from 120$ - 250$. I can easily afford them but the way I think, I already have 6 watches all of which I put good use to, why should I have more?.

I donate to church, charity, enjoy high altitude trekking, riding bikes and never feel bad about those. Do some of you go by a rule or something, like 10% of my savings I will splurge on collectibles/impulsive buys?. What comes to your mind while you are buying that nth watch?.

Re: Moral dilemma in spending

When buying a new watch, the only budgetary considerations are whether I can afford long term service and if there is any other watch I may prefer to get w same money. If I can't afford to buy a watch or if it has an impact on mortgage, vacation, education, retirement budgeting - I don't buy.

Morality does not enter into the equation. It's not like I'm robbing someone to get the watch.
    philskywalker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sujith View Post
    There is always a struggle in my mind while it comes to spending on unessential things. Right now I like some 4-5 watches in the range from 120$ - 250$. I can easily afford them but the way I think, I already have 6 watches all of which I put good use to, why should I have more?.

I donate to church, charity, enjoy high altitude trekking, riding bikes and never feel bad about those. Do some of you go by a rule or something, like 10% of my savings I will splurge on collectibles/impulsive buys?. What comes to your mind while you are buying that nth watch?.
    The questions I usually ask are 1) Do I like it? and 2) Can I afford it?

I try to stick to the one in one out rule because I don't see the need for more watches than I can wear regularly. I view myself as a watch wearer rather than a watch collector.

As far as the morality of unessential spending, there are always people that are in need. I give service to others where I can and donate to charity to help the less fortunate. Only you can decide if you're doing enough to help others and not feel guilty about spending on a watch or other superfluous things.
    Current rotation (alphabetical order):
    Fortis: B-42 Marinemaster
    Glycine: Airman SST Chrono
    Hamilton: Intra-matic, X-Wind
    Oris: Artelier Small Second Pointer Date, TT1 Small Seconds 1000m Diver

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

There will always be some guilt whenever you buy a watch. That goes for ones about £50 or ones of £5,000. After all, we don't need them at all.

But that's not really the point. Everyone is entitled to a hobby. It's not like you're snorting the money up your nose or anything. If you can afford to pay it and it isn't going to impact any of your responsibilities then why feel too guilty? Presumably you work hard. Why not treat yourself every so often? Why are you working every day anyway?

I don't see how watches are any different from the other recreational/discretionary activities you've already listed.

I don't have a "rule" but I have a subjective comfort zone and a family. The amount of discretionary junk I buy can't be at the cost of more important discretionary costs (eg: I'm not going to by a $1000 watch if it means my family won't take a vacation together this year.).

Watches and jewelry fall pretty far down on that list.
    Last edited by SaoDavi; April 2nd, 2015 at 21:49.

Quote Originally Posted by SaoDavi View Post
    ... I'm not going to by a $1000 watch if it means my family won't take a vacation together this year....
    Family before watches?!?!? That's a rare consideration on this site; it's refreshing to see somebody else with their priorities straight.
    domoon, joepac and Ayayom like this.
    Current rotation (alphabetical order):
    Fortis: B-42 Marinemaster
    Glycine: Airman SST Chrono
    Hamilton: Intra-matic, X-Wind
    Oris: Artelier Small Second Pointer Date, TT1 Small Seconds 1000m Diver

Little Big Feathers Rule #23: Do what you like and like what you do.
    Followed by Rule #24: The world is full of suffering,make sure you don't suffer too.
    sujith, EnderW, bullshark and 3 others like this.
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

What comes to mind after I have decided to buy a watch? That I hope it arrives soon so that I can begin enjoying it.

Spending on watches is no different that any other non-essential purchase. As long as you have satisfied all financial requirements you should enjoy the watch as you would a vacation, bike purchase, hiking trip, dinner out, night at the theater, etc.

I respect all the points mentioned above. On a budgeting perspective it wouldn't impact me or my family even if I buy all the 5 watches in one go, all thanks to the higher power in creating me as one of the more fortunate ones. May be I have practiced delayed gratification for so long that it has now become conflicting thoughts while spending on self. I never think twice when it comes to spending on family, friends or people in need.

Stop donating to church and use the money for watches. Easy.
    German: Junghans Meister Chronoscope | Nomos Tangente | Stowa Exima ETA & PUW 560
    Others: Accurist World Time Chronograph | Mondaine solar powered | Omega Seamaster 'Calypso' | Orient Blue Mako | Orient CVZ0001B ana-digi | Reena WeatherMaster VII

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information