Most smooth second hand?
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Most smooth second hand?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Most smooth second hand?

Hi,

Which watches have the most smooth second hand? I saw one today that didn't even look like it was a BPH watch.. just simply a turning wheel... it was beautiful.

Bottom line is, I want one like that. What are their price ranges? Does anyone know a few that are moderately priced, but still high quality?

Re: Most smooth second hand?

Quote Originally Posted by BillyL2499 View Post
    Hi,

Which watches have the most smooth second hand? I saw one today that didn't even look like it was a BPH watch.. just simply a turning wheel... it was beautiful.

Bottom line is, I want one like that. What are their price ranges? Does anyone know a few that are moderately priced, but still high quality?
    Any watch with a 36,000 Hi Beat movement (usually start at about $1000).

Or a Bulova Accutron with a tuning fork movement (360 Hertz, same as 36,000 BPH), they run about $200 to $3000 depending on condition and rarity for the vintage models.

I have a 214 Accutron I got for $250 and love it, it hums instead of ticks, and has no crown but a lever to set the time on the back; would definitely recommend one to any watch collector.

Not my pics, but same model I have except I have a tuning fork on the end of the second hand as well

Last edited by SethThomas; July 18th, 2015 at 05:08.

The Seiko Spring Drives have the smoothest sweep, probably followed by the Accutron tuning fork watches, and the Bulova Precisionist. If you want something mechanical, then look at a Zenith El Primeo, or a Grand Seiko Hi-Beat.

In terms of modestly priced, the Bulova Precisionist is probably your best bet, but they are quartz watches.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay, Black Bay GMT.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Sistem51, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Based in South east asia, travelling between

Spring drive for sure. It does not tick.
    BillyL2499 and smuggled_sheep like this.
    W.A.S. Watch Acquisition Syndrome Patient.

Quote Originally Posted by mleok View Post
    The Seiko Spring Drives have the smoothest sweep, probably followed by the Accutron tuning fork watches, and the Bulova Precisionist. If you want something mechanical, then look at a Zenith El Primeo, or a Grand Seiko Hi-Beat.

In terms of modestly priced, the Bulova Precisionist is probably your best bet, but they are quartz watches.
    Such as these?
    Seiko Divers Automatic Men's Watch SKX007K2 - Diver - Seiko - Shop Watches by Brand - Jomashop
    Amazon.com: Bulova Men's 96B131 Precisionist Black Dial Steel Bracelet Watch: Bulova Watches: Watches

These are the Seiko Spring Drives, they're a hybrid quartz-mechanical movement, and are quite expensive:

SPRING DRIVE - SEIKO

The Seiko you linked has a movement that beats at 21.6kbph, or 6 beats per second, which is noticeably less smooth than a 8 beat per second (28.8kbph) or 10 beat per second (36kbph) movement.
    BillyL2499 likes this.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay, Black Bay GMT.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Sistem51, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

An affordable modern watch with a very smooth seconds hand would be one of the Bulova Precisonist models. An affordable vintage watch would be either Bulova Accutron or Omega f300hz Constellation with a tuning fork movement. Yes the Seiko spring drive is technically a bit smoother however it is also very expensive.

Which watch was the original poster looking at?
    Last edited by John MS; July 18th, 2015 at 05:25.
    BillyL2499 likes this.

It was a Zenith. I know they're expensive, and maybe I can't get one just this second, but in the meantime, I'd like something in the $1,000 and below range.

enjoy it! ;)
    BillyL2499, BarracksSi and busmatt like this.
    "A man with one watch knows what time it is, a man with two watches is never quite sure."

Seiko Spring Drive is a perfect sweep.
    nicedream and BillyL2499 like this.
    Collection:
    Vacheron Constantin Overseas
    JLC Deep Sea Chrono
    Breguet Marine Grande Date
    Tudor Black Bay Black
    Omega Speedmaster 3570.50

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information