Most usefull and most useless complications on a watch aka just for showing off
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Most usefull and most useless complications on a watch aka just for showing off

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Most usefull and most useless complications on a watch aka just for showing off

Allright here it goes.Now maybe its because I am an ex Navy military man and I look at most watches as a functional usefull tool and have no need for anything like a chronograph,moonphase,equation of time,perpetual calendar until the year 2525ad etc so forth and so on and all that other garbage.To me the most usefull features on a watch are day,date and a GMT function for tracking a secondary time zone.Now dont get me wrong I have owned a couple of chronos in the past just for looks and the cool factor but then came to the realization that Hell what to I even have them for?Plus I prefer my watches to clean ledgeable affairs with the main purpose of telling the time of course.Now Im sure that some guys may use all the fancy complications of haute horology mentioned above or they may just have the watch has a show off piece.But what is your humble opinion on this matter dear WUS members

Re: Most usefull and most useless complications on a watch aka just for showing off

My profession requires a seconds indicator. I also consider a date indicator useful. A power reserve indicator on my mechanical timepieces is nice but certainly not obligatory. The rest is just fluff IMO but to each their own.
    Last edited by T1meout; May 6th, 2014 at 19:11.

Re: Most usefull and most useless complications on a watch aka just for showing off

I suppose it depends on what you do for a living. If you are a pilot then multiple time zones is a must, if you are a sports coach the chrono is a must.
    Since I'm a desk person, to me the Perpetual Calendar is useful and love that complication. Add moon phase for show off and I do have a weakness for GMT's.

Those are my favorite complications but without a doubt number one is the perpetual calendar.

My Blog http://www.horologiaprima.com
    One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art! (O.Wilde)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Moonphase is only useful if you're a werewolf.

Probably, anything more complicated than a chronograph is mostly "showing off" from a horological standpoint.
    borasar, Nokie, Anatoly and 1 others like this.
    "A gentleman's choice of timepiece says as much about him as does his Savile Row suit." -- Ian Fleming

Well, if you break down the the basic functional need, I doubt I will even need a watch since I can do everything with my smartphone.

But there's the emotional part of owing a watch which often outweighs the basic functional need. For the record I don't own a perpetual calender, minute repeater or a tourbillon but I respect the brand that can build one, it's a miniature piece of engineering and art. I don't see it as a show-off thing, let's be real, you can be a show-off riding a huffy bike, it's the person not the object.

Ive just bought a g-shock rangeman, it has a compass, temp, altimeter, barometer, sunset/sunrise.

Being a fisherman the Barometer is awesome, to be able to check pressure systems on your watch is simply awesome, as it not only predicts the weather but fish are heavily effected by the air pressure, some species more than others, i use it every day, best feature ive ever had in a watch.

The digital compass is great and certainly would come in handy in the bush or hiking, great for reading maps too.

The temp feature is great, top feature.

Its also atomic with major world city auto times.

It also has a battery level gauge, its a solar watch, so thats very handy

I dont need the Altimeter or sunset/sunrise as i know exactly when the suns coming up each day.

So theres quite a few features in the rangeman i really love.
    Last edited by Cobia; May 6th, 2014 at 19:41.
    tempocalypse and Ottovonn like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Quotron View Post

Probably, anything more complicated than a chronograph is mostly "showing off" from a horological standpoint.
    Moonphase is really handy if your a fisho, top feature, as is a tide graph, and good for werewolfs too :)

Very nice.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

The most useful complication has got to be a date function (well it is for me)
    The most useless is my Oris Pointer Moon that allows me to calculate how the tides are running in the Northern Hemisphere.

Seiko (and others) started making watches with the alarm feature in the 1970s and I'm sure they've made about a billion of them by now. I've owned a number of them over about 30 years and I've never used the alarm - Does anybody? I suppose that second little clock face at the bottom could also be used as a second time zone monitor.

All Chronographs except one! * Vulcain Nautique 1st Swiss/1967 * Seiko 5 SpeedTimer 1st Auto Chrono, from Tokyo Ginza/1969 * Big handful of old Seiko Quartz Chronos *Heuer Re-issue 1963 Pre-TAG Carrera * TAG Heuer "Carrera" Chrono * Omega "Speedmaster" 7751 * Baume & Mercier Formula S * Zenith "El Primero" HW * Mühle Glashütte Nautische * Sinn 903ST “Navitimer” * Techné SparrowHawk II * Alpina Startimer Big-Date * Zodiac Sea Dragon * (2) Victorinox "Infantry Vintage" (Silver/Green) * Junkers "G38" * Hamilton Pioneer Khaki * Bulova Marine Star Chrono/Diver * Breitling Chronospace * Dan Henry "1939" * Fortuna chrono * Delbana "Silverstone" * Ball Fireman "Storm Chaser" * William L. chrono * Junghans Meister Telemeter Chronoscope * Guinand Duograph * (Red = Given away to relative)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information