The most versatile travel watch
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: The most versatile travel watch

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

The most versatile travel watch

It is my lifelong quest to find the most versatile travel watch that would be perfect for any travel contingency. For example, I am fond of the Aerospace with the second time zone and alarm, but you are tempting fate if you take it on a beach/diving trip. I think Aquadive hit it out of the park with the GMT but you are not wearing that to an out of town wedding. I think you are getting the picture. Your suggestions?

Re: The most versatile travel watch

The Rolex GMT Master II. Until the Speedy was added to the collection it was my only watch, a daily wearer that has a quick time zone adjustment, looks dressy enough to wear for business or social events, and survived all forms of abuse without a hiccup. It is in for service now, needing only a routine cleaning after ten years of hard use. Unbeatable combination!
    Stellite, Mike2 and adamcb like this.
    “I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.” Umberto Eco

Panerai * Rolex * Omega * Ball * AEgir * Mühle-Glashütte * Oris * Archimede * Seiko * Magrette * Padron

Everybody has a different definition of traveling, so everybody will have a different opinion of what the best travel watch is.

For myself, I've established criterias that fit the best travel watch according to what I consider traveling(for example, vacationing for a week in an all-inclusive resort I wouldn't call traveling, I'd call that vacationing).

So:

Cheap to purchase and replace(for me, that is < $300)
    Wr to at least 100m with a screw down crown, preferably 200M
    No battery and no manual winding(so, auto or solar)
    NATO or ZULU strap(so that if one lug fail, I won't lose the watch)
    Attractive but inconspicuous design
    Day & date (I tend to lose track after a few weeks on the road)
    Tough (so, basically, SS case, no plastic)
    Timing bezel
    Lumed
    GMT

My go to watch, and has been for a very long time, for traveling is my Seiko Skx007 on NATO; so much that, even though I own a bunch of watches, on the morning I bring my luggages by the door I automatically pick the Skx without thinking. The only thing it does not have is the GMT function, but I have never found a wrist watch that has a GMT function while meeting all my other criterias without exceptions, if there was I would buy it.

Oh, and if I ever was called to attend a wedding, or any dressed up event, while on the road, I'd just slip the Skx in my pants pocket, problem solved.
    Swans21 likes this.
    All opinions expressed in this post are subject to change after sobering up.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Rolex GMT of your choosing.

Quote Originally Posted by Blubaru703 View Post
    Rolex GMT of your choosing.
    Agreed. Current BLNR fits the bill perfectly
    "Make no little plans. They have no magic to stir men's blood and probably themselves will not be realized." - Daniel Burnham

A few Rolex
    A few Omega
    Some miscellaneous
    A bunch of cheap beaters

Here are a couple for you to consider...

First up, the GS SBGE001. Versatile enough to cross the dressy/sporty divide; quick-set of the hour hand; easy to read 3 time zones; lumed sapphire bezel that allows you to read GMT in the dark; and 200m WR. It's a great choice...

If you also require a chronograph function, the Breitling Transocean Chronograph/GMT is another possibility...

Memento Vivere likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bullshark View Post
    Everybody has a different definition of traveling, so everybody will have a different opinion of what the best travel watch is.

For myself, I've established criterias that fit the best travel watch according to what I consider traveling(for example, vacationing for a week in an all-inclusive resort I wouldn't call traveling, I'd call that vacationing).

So:

Cheap to purchase and replace(for me, that is < $300)
    Wr to at least 100m with a screw down crown, preferably 200M
    No battery and no manual winding(so, auto or solar)
    NATO or ZULU strap(so that if one lug fail, I won't lose the watch)
    Attractive but inconspicuous design
    Day & date (I tend to lose track after a few weeks on the road)
    Tough (so, basically, SS case, no plastic)
    Timing bezel
    Lumed
    GMT

My go to watch, and has been for a very long time, for traveling is my Seiko Skx007 on NATO; so much that, even though I own a bunch of watches, on the morning I bring my luggages by the door I automatically pick the Skx without thinking. The only thing it does not have is the GMT function, but I have never found a wrist watch that has a GMT function while meeting all my other criterias without exceptions, if there was I would buy it.

Oh, and if I ever was called to attend a wedding, or any dressed up event, while on the road, I'd just slip the Skx in my pants pocket, problem solved.
    Nice choice, SKX007 can go anywhere ... you can use the bezel as a of 2nd time zone.

Just curious ... why would you put it in your pocket if you went to a dressy event - is that more a function of the band you would have it on than the watch?

What kind of travel?

- For a diving holiday, I'd take my Suunto D9TX and maybe the IWC Aquatimer or the Panerai Submersible (for the topsides stuff).
    - For a wildlife trip, I'd take my T-Touch
    - For a cycling holiday, a Seiko 5 for the wrist and pretty much any one or two of my other collection for other times, depending on where i will be
    - For a general, urban or sightseeing holiday, a nice watch and a tool watch.
    etc etc.

If I had to pick one in my current collection - Longines Legend Diver. Good enough to do a lot of things. Missing GMT isnt an issue. If I did want a GMT, then whatever sub-$2000 GMT watch with a screw down crown i can find.
    Last edited by vkalia; April 5th, 2015 at 17:29.
    Core: ALS 1815 Up/Down, AP RO, Breguet Marine, Blancpain FF MilSpec, JLC Master Geo, GO Panomatic, Rolex BLRO, Panerai 688, Rolex Exp2 polar, Cartier Santos XL ADLC, Zenith El Primero tricolor, [Empty Slot]
    Secondary: Oris Brashear chrono, Oris 65/42 green, Oris 65/40mm, Oris 65 bronze, Rado Capt Cook LE, Seiko Prospex Padi, Doxa 1200T Pro
    Others
    :Tissot T-Touch Expert, Swatch S51, Seagull 1963, Sturmanskie Yuri Gagarin, Fortis Marine Master, G-Shock GMW-B500
    FS: Seiko Orange Monster Gen2, Gruppo Gamma Vanguard, Squale Milsub
    Gone: Tudor Chrono Heritage, Hamilton Khaki Field, B&R03-92, Seiko SKX007, Orient Sun&Moon, Seagull M172S, Rado Vintage Diver, Hamilton Pan Europ, Orient Mako, Meistersinger Pangaea, IWC Aquatimer, PAM 24, JR Aquascope, Tudor BB Black, Longines Legend Diver, PAM 241, Bernhardt Anchor3, WUS GMT watch, Damasko DB2, Helson Shark Diver, Seiko 5, Ventus Mori Brass, Glycine Airman, Eterna Kon-Tiki, Zelos Gallant, Sinn 103 A sa B, Oris 65/42 blue

Quote Originally Posted by Swans21 View Post
    Nice choice, SKX007 can go anywhere ... you can use the bezel as a of 2nd time zone.

Just curious ... why would you put it in your pocket if you went to a dressy event - is that more a function of the band you would have it on than the watch?
    I just don't think a large diver on NATO is appropriate with a 3 pieces suit.
    All opinions expressed in this post are subject to change after sobering up.

Citizen radio controlled Skyhawk, or A-T Chronograph. Eco-drive solar, so no worry of battery running out or stopping due to lack of movement. 200m water resistance. With S/S or titanium band would be ok in dressier situations; pop it on a nato or umber for more casual occasions.

Best of all, time zone changes at the push of a button, plus will set itself daily to the atomic clock (of course, you must be near an atomic clock station, but this would be the case for N. America, Europe and East Asia).

Casio Edifice or G-Shock will do this as well, G-Shock of course not dressy.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information