Movado Brand Reputation?
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Movado Brand Reputation?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Banned

Movado Brand Reputation?

So I just picked up a Movado at a DEEP discount. I'm wondering what the brand reputation is for this brand in the WIS community.

I've read that Movado is a "Mall Watch" made popular by the cookie cutter diamond shops in every mall around the country. Is this true?

Does Movado make anything that's worth wearing proudly? Or am I just too worried about what other people think?

Banned
    Here is my Movado that I wear with pride. Nothing but compliments and it does the job. To 90% of the people out there, a Movado is a nice respectable watch, but the people on this board are more critical and don't see them in the same light. Most Movado's are quartz. For the same price, you can get a Hamilton and might take a look at some of them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned

Re: Movado Brand Reputation?

Critical? These guys? No way ;)

I think Movado's designs are beautiful. I just don't know why they are not as highly applauded as other Swiss brands. Is it because of the quartz movement?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by vserduchka View Post
    Or am I just too worried about what other people think?
    There is an underlying assumption here that I would question -- that other people are capable or thinking, that is.
    Formerguide likes this.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Metlin View Post
    There is an underlying assumption here that I would question -- that other people are capable or thinking, that is.
    Haha. Good point. I guess I meant, "Or am I just too worried about what other WIS's think?"

Honestly, to the average person on the street, a Movado is a really nice watch. Not as nice as Rolex, Omega or Tag (Those are "Really, really nice watches"), but close.

"Like a Movado must be, like, $500... I mean, it's not like $1000, like a Rolex, but still..."
    68chevy2 and JPfeuffer like this.

While not my cup of tea (though there are a few 800 series I'm partial to) you have to say this for Movado; one of the very few brands that non-WIS types can generally identify quickly. That says a lot for their style and commitment to what they believe in aesthetically. A lot to pay though for a quartz watch, IMHO...

Dan
    Current Collection:

Longines Master Collection Moonphase, Deep Blue World Diver 500M, Raymond Weil W1 Chronograph, Tissot PRS516 Chrono, Omega Seamaster 300, Citizen Skyhawk, Citizen Signature Automatic, Orient World Traveler GMT, Accutron VX-200, Citizen Eco Chrono BL5400-52A, Hamilton Cushion Chrono, Breitling Superocean Heritage 46, Orient Star GMT, Seiko Sportura Kinetic GMT

"It's a fake. And that's because all 'is my Patek a fake' posts contain only fake Pateks." quote, WUS member geoffbot

"... The minute a watch costs more than a well equipped Camry, I'd start feeling guilty about the purchase... " quote, WUS member LosTresGatos

"I think the only people who make rational decisions regarding watches are the people that do not post on watch forums." quote, WUS member digivandig

Quote Originally Posted by Formerguide View Post
    While not my cup of tea (though there are a few 800 series I'm partial to) you have to say this for Movado; one of the very few brands that non-WIS types can generally identify quickly. That says a lot for their style and commitment to what they believe in aesthetically. A lot to pay though for a quartz watch, IMHO...

Dan
    I like some of the 800 series also....if you got a deep siscount on it then you got a deal for a quartz watch...the grey market sites and I am assume yo got one therre then you most likely got value for what you spent...enjoy the watch !...who cares what others on this forum think of the brand.Only thing that matters is what you think and like...we are not wearing it !

Quote Originally Posted by vserduchka View Post
    So I just picked up a Movado at a DEEP discount. I'm wondering what the brand reputation is for this brand in the WIS community.

I've read that Movado is a "Mall Watch" made popular by the cookie cutter diamond shops in every mall around the country. Is this true?

Does Movado make anything that's worth wearing proudly? Or am I just too worried about what other people think?
    Movado makes some very interesting watches including the venerable Museum watch. They have a long respectable history in the business. The real question should be whether you like the style and design and not whether someone else thinks it is a classy brand. In reference to the bolded comments above, did you know that Rolex watches are sold by diamond merchants in large volume shopping malls located across the USA.

I have a Movado Museum that was my first "nice" watch. 10 years old now, has only needed one battery change, and has held up very nicely. Still my go to watch when I'm wearing a tux, but a clean enough design that it can hang fine with a t-shirt and jeans. Got it at a really great price at a Movado outlet. Customer service when I needed a new band and battery was excellent. For the price I paid, I can't even say it was all that expensive for a quartz, and if I look at it on a "cost per wear" basis, it is my best value watch purchase by a mile.

Maybe not a great watch geek watch, but still a nice piece. I probably wouldn't make the same purchase now as I've geeked out a bit more for watches, but I don't regret the purchase at all.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information