Movado Service Experiences

Thread: Movado Service Experiences

Question Movado Service Experiences

Hey all!
    So i just sent in my Movado Faceto in for a battery change and i feel like there is something fishy going on here. Now i am the original owner, i bought it in the beginning of 2010. Its served me well and never had a problem with it and only wore it during special events mostly. Since then i just noticed it was keeping time so i figured its the battery(its been 5 + years). So since its the most expensive watch in my collection i figured i would do it right and bring it in and have Movado service it. So i just got the estimate back and it says at the bottom under additional details.

"due to the age and condition of the time piece we can no longer guarantee water resistance".

So i was like WTF reading that because i took great care of it, i sent it into them, they are replacing the seal and are suppose to "Conduct water-resistance test to factory specifications". So i called them up and the lady reviewed it with me and said that it must have failed the test which is why they put it in as a note at the end. I then asked what i should do about it and she said that i should avoid moisture the best i can like if i wash my hands i should maybe take it off before hand and stuff.

I personally feel like there is something wrong here and do not trust them. They also added a spring bar to the est because it was "damaged". I am not a complainer about things and take full responsibility for what it is when its my fault. But i truly have taken care of it and have NEVER had a problem with moisture. Now i bring it in to them and now they said i might..

What do i do? Has anyone else had this problem???
    Current collection

Frederique Constant Classics FC303MC4P6B2
    Movado Faceto 0605585
    Bulova 96E04 Diamond Multifunction Watch
    Stuhrling Original 165B2B.33112 Skeleton

Once upon a time
    Christopher Ward C700 Grand Rapide

Re: Movado Service Experiences

I may be wrong, but I think it is fairly standard that once a watch has been opened up there is no guarantee on the WR any longer. I was told that when I had the battery changed on my SMP quartz a number of years ago. I would take it and have it pressure tested at a watchmaker just to be sure.
    Currenly own -

Tudor Pelagos
    Omega Seamaster Professional ref 196.1503 - Not anymore-Gave to my son :)
    Tag Heuer 1500 Series
    Another one coming soon!

Thank you for the response hdmelrose. If its pressure tested that will just tell me if its properly sealed correct? If its not then what should i do, like will it get moisture in it on a regular basis or its one of those things where its like dont put your wrist when wearing the watch in a bucket of water when washing the car or something?
    Current collection

Movado Faceto 0605585

Once upon a time

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Let's not put the cart before the (sea)horse here.

Take the watch to a watchmaker capable of performing a proper test for WR.
    There are only two possibilities:
    1) It passes. You now have two choices:
    a) Forget the whole thing ever happened and enjoy your watch as before.
    b) Sell it now because you just can't trust it ever again
    2) It fails, now you have 3 choices:
    a) Wear it until an accident happens
    b) Sell it now because you know disaster is immanent. In the ad on eBay include a nice scan of the receipt w/o calling attention to that one line.
    c) Have said capable watchmaker see if he can improve on Movado's performance.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got a note or comment like that most times I had a watch serviced. I think it's a pretty standard disclaimer.

Re: the Seamaster experience. That is unacceptable - was this the response from Omega or just a mall kiosk? The entire purpose of a dive watch is performance while submerged, how on Earth can they not guarantee it's WR after a battery change?

Quote Originally Posted by easyP View Post
    Re: the Seamaster experience. That is unacceptable - was this the response from Omega or just a mall kiosk? The entire purpose of a dive watch is performance while submerged, how on Earth can they not guarantee it's WR after a battery change?
    The battery change was done at an AD. I was young (like 18) and didn't know ..... from Shinola (probably still don't!). They told me before they did the change. That watch is still around, as I gave it to my son about 1.5 years ago and has been in the water MANY times without incident. Nowdays, I wouldn't buy a quartz watch anyway, but if I did, it would be sent off to the manufacturer for any service.
    Currenly own -

Tudor Pelagos
    Omega Seamaster Professional ref 196.1503 - Not anymore-Gave to my son :)
    Tag Heuer 1500 Series
    Another one coming soon!

What's the WR on the watch to begin with? A quick search shows current models to be 30m, and I'm just curious what type of WR guarantee you would normally get with that?

Do dress watches always have that lingo/disclaimer attached to service and repair work?

Quote Originally Posted by hdmelrose View Post
    The battery change was done at an AD. I was young (like 18) and didn't know ..... from Shinola (probably still don't!). They told me before they did the change. That watch is still around, as I gave it to my son about 1.5 years ago and has been in the water MANY times without incident. Nowdays, I wouldn't buy a quartz watch anyway, but if I did, it would be sent off to the manufacturer for any service.
    Actually this does seem reasonable. If they did the battery swap right there on the spot without sending to the official RSC, this makes sense to me. I bet the number of jewellers / ADs with the proper training and equipment to ensure WR remains valid is very small.

Awesome story for the watch, which is a sweet piece to have had at 18 btw!

Sweet thanks for all of the responses! It seems as though we will see what happened when i get it. I feel a bit like they almost have to say it to cover there own ass but at the same time personally i am like... dude.. you are the manufacture, i never had a problem before, you popped the back off and replaced the seal. What has changed in a way that there "could" be moisture now? lol
    Current collection

Movado Faceto 0605585

Once upon a time

Thread Information