moved to ask

Thread: moved to ask

moved to ask

Re. the ETA 2892. My interested was piqued by the Hamilton Jazzmaster slim. It looked like a relative bargain for a watch with the ETA 2892. However I like the look of the viewmaster model better which contains the ETA 2824. I started out to find other sub $1500 (preferably sub$1000!) watches with this movement. I realize that its a 'thin' movement that tends to be put in more 'elegant' models but I am looking for a watch for daily use. I tend to like simple-faced watches a la Jazzmaster viewmaster, Stowa marine original,...
    Can anyone provide me with a list to look into?
    thanks,
    MLMD

Re: moved to ask

Welcome~Have you considered NOMOS?

v76

The ETA 2892.A2 is one of the thinner mass-produced automatic movements. If you'd like something slimmer, you might want to consider the Zenith cal. 680 or cal. 670 ... you might find a pre-owned Zenith Class Elite that costs less than $1500. The movement is one of the thinnest in automatics, as far as I can tell only the JLC cal. 889 is thinner ... there might be other thinner movements I'm not aware of. A vintage Universal Geneve with a thin micro-rotor movement, perhaps?

For handwind watches, you can usually go thinner than for autos (no rotor and winding module). The Peseux 7001 is a fine example of a thin handwind movement, watches containing this movement are usually not very expensive (Ole Mathiesen, Stowa Antea KS, etc.) ... then, there's the "Alpha" movement by Nomos (Peseux 7001 base originally, it's been highly modified). The JLC cal. 849 is the thinnest handwind movement available today, I believe (but watches having that mvmt. are way out of your price range). You may also look at vintage JLC ultra thins (cal. 838/839) which might be had for anywhere between $1000 and $3000, I think. There might be other choices other forum members can tell you about ...
    Last edited by v76; February 28th, 2010 at 18:40.
    Collection:
    A few of this and some of the other ...

"I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty" - Groucho Marx

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks! I may have mislead you in my question. Thinness is not a major criterion. I just noted that because the movement is thin, it tends to see use in more elegant models which I am NOT so interested in. The 'sportier' models appeal just as much.
    thanks,
    MLMD

v76

Quote Originally Posted by mlmd View Post
    Thanks! I may have mislead you in my question. Thinness is not a major criterion. I just noted that because the movement is thin, it tends to see use in more elegant models which I am NOT so interested in. The 'sportier' models appeal just as much.
    thanks,
    MLMD
    For elegant watches, I think you'd do well to look at Junghans Max Bill watches and Nomos (as Beau8 had already suggested), the Hamilton Jazzmaster range is nice ... perhaps Louis Erard, Maurice Lacroix and JeanRichard as well? Stowa and Laco make some very nice watches too (especially flieger replicas) ... then there are many cheaper/more affordable models from Aristo, Zeno, Archimede, Steinhart, etc.

If you can "up" your price limit a little, plenty of elegant models from Longines, Tissot (Heritage), Baume et Mercier, etc.
    Collection:

Wow! You hit a home run.
    thanks,
    MLMD

v76

The Epos Originale is one of the cheaper ETA 2892 watches. I have an Ebel Sportwave Diver (cal 120, based on the 2892) which I got pre-owned for about Euro 600. Generally the finish on the 2892 (elabore or top grade) is a bit better than 2893 (GMT). I have a Tissot Carson Mecaline gold (available in just Asia) with the 2892 ... I got it for about $1300. For some reason, I haven't seen the Hammy Jazzmaster with the 2892 in Europe ... good going, resipsa.

You can also find pre-owned Omega Constellations in really good condition (cal. 1120, based on ETA 2892) for less than $1000.
    Last edited by v76; March 1st, 2010 at 03:35.
    Collection:

Thread Information