Movement cleaning/service cost
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Movement cleaning/service cost

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Movement cleaning/service cost

I hope this is the correct forum to post this. I have a Hamilton Khiki auto that was purchased new about 7-8 years ago, I believe it has a ETA 2824. It has never been serviced. It's in my rotation, and thus not worn everyday. I went to wind it and it's was a lot stiffer than usual, and was losing time. I took it to a local watch repair shop. Here are my questions:
    1. The repair man said an auto/mechanical needs to be serviced every 4 years, is this true?
    2. What should a ball park cost be for a servicing/oiling if no parts need to be replaced?
    Thank you in advance

Breitling Forum Moderator SnapIT's Avatar

Re: Movement cleaning/service cost

"1. The repair man said an auto/mechanical needs to be serviced every 4 years, is this true?" He is giving you good advice. It does depend on what you expect of your watch. Divers will service their instruments annually or as required to maintain the seals. Others will wear their watch until it stops! Then service tends to get more expensive. The lubricants used on internal moving parts does dry out over time. The four year interval respects this property of the lubricants and address the possible damage due to friction by acting before damage is done and parts have to be replaced. Some let it go for a few years more but they risk higher bills.

The cost, is dependant on the movement and its complications. A quote anywhere from $200-500USD is not unheard of for mechanical movements with a chronograph. You may get out of it for less. Ask for a quote. As you indicated its 7-8yrs and you might be stretching it a bit.
    Cheers,
    SnapIT

Seize the day, it ain't coming around again. . . .
    Click to check for the correct time around the world..

Quote Originally Posted by SnapIT View Post
    A quote anywhere from $200-500USD is not unheard of for mechanical movements with a chronograph.
    Is $200 the minimal expected then? Even for a non-chronograph? I thought it started more around $100 for a regular ETA 2824/2834-2? (I haven't brought one in yet)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

stuffler,mike

Just got my Certina "Town & Country" back from a complete service: 96,-- Euro. But this was appearently the first service after 20 years.

As a former jeweler, I would see estimates for the ETA 2824/2834-2, from local watchmakers, at around $120-$180 for a standard service, ie: cleaning, oil & regulation. Parts replacement may be additional.
    Greetings from that Island they call Long!

Thats a NYC price range folks. Here in the rest of the country you can have it done by a reputable watchmaker for $80-100.

Different watches require different levels of care. My Seiko 7005 has never been serviced, is 30+ years old, was lost in an attic for 20+ years (heat, cold, etc.), runs like a champ and keeps good time. I've read reports from folks with 3 year old Swiss watches that cost them a pretty penny that have ground to a halt in need of service.

If its acting up, get it to a watchmaker.
    If you depend on it, like for dives, then service it regularly.
    If its precious and you want to baby it then service it regularly.
    If its a solid, dependable watch upon which no ones life depends.........
    41Mets likes this.
    -Robert
    Buy what you like, keep what you love, don't spend too much.
    As long as you follow those simple rules - you shouldn't listen to anyone about your watches.

Thank you everybody for your replies. Haven't heard back from the watchmaker yet, but at least I'll know approx. what I should be looking at.

Quote Originally Posted by rhewitt View Post
    I hope this is the correct forum to post this. I have a Hamilton Khiki auto that was purchased new about 7-8 years ago, I believe it has a ETA 2824. It has never been serviced. It's in my rotation, and thus not worn everyday. I went to wind it and it's was a lot stiffer than usual, and was losing time. I took it to a local watch repair shop. Here are my questions:
    1. The repair man said an auto/mechanical needs to be serviced every 4 years, is this true?
    2. What should a ball park cost be for a servicing/oiling if no parts need to be replaced?
    Thank you in advance
    I go on the 5 year plan on COA. When I had to pay to get it done a 2824-2 cost me $60 - $75 + tax if only a cleaning and adjustment. Chrono's were $175 and up. The 4 years recommendation from your repair guy isn't out of live. I do think though with the synthetic oils used today that they can go longer though but every 4 years isn't out of line. I just go every 5 years unless they are running irregular. I COA my own though.

Smurfe

Hell none of my watches even cost as much as the servicing would I'll just wear them till they break and then just keep them as non working collectors items :) thus I'll have an excuse to by more watches!
    Invicta 8926
    clebar
    alsta

Smile Re: Movement cleaning/service cost

If it ain't broke - Don't fix it
    My experience is that waiting for a watch to start acting-up does not cost much more than a 4 year service (if at all)
    Every time you have a watch maker crack-her-open, you risk additional "accidental" damage....not to mention, you may go far longer without a service than expected. My Rolex DateJust was serviced for the 1st time in nearly 30 years.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information