Movement holders
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Movement holders

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Movement holders

I dont really know much about movement holders or the advantages of different materials they are made off.
    Just wondering if anyone can educate me a bit?
    I assume a good one would keep the movement in place, provide some shock absorption, and maybe provide another barrier for moisture/water (around crown stem).

Is there pros and cons to using different materials? plastic, ect.

Thanks.

Crooked date hate!!!

Re: Movement holders

As long as they're made by Bergeon I don't care what material they're made of...

But seriously I personally think it's more about the amount of force it can produce rather than the material. Perhaps someone with more knowledge can chime in and inform us...

stuffler,mike

Just to make sure....are you talking about movement holders (as a repair tool) or a movement spacer (to keep the movement in place).

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike View Post
    Just to make sure....are you talking about movement holders (as a repair tool) or a movement spacer (to keep the movement in place).
    "I assume a good one would keep the movement in place, provide some shock absorption, and maybe provide another barrier for moisture/water (around crown stem)."

So definitely the second.

I'd start by looking at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incablo...tection_system

Quote Originally Posted by scuttle View Post
    "I assume a good one would keep the movement in place, provide some shock absorption, and maybe provide another barrier for moisture/water (around crown stem)."

So definitely the second.

I'd start by looking at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incablo...tection_system
    well, incabloc has nothing to do with a space holder.

Must mean spacers huh Hali?

N 32 deg, 47' 27.9168"; W 79 deg, 54' 30.3372"

Case rings. Those ring inside a case to make the movement fit.

Material has very little to do with shock protection. While brass (the usual metal used, nickel plated for corrosion resistance) is much harder than the plastic ring, the contact area, is so great that any load that would deform the plastic would probably exceed the limitations of the movement.

Metal case rings have certain advantages, one, the movement can be secured to the case ring with screws, and two, metal case rings last longer, plastic tends to deteriorate with age and repeated removal and re-installation wears off the plastic case rings friction nubs, so the movement becomes loose in the case.

Case rings provide no extra WR capabilities.
    Halda likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by lysanderxiii View Post
    Case rings. Those ring inside a case to make the movement fit.

Material has very little to do with shock protection. While brass (the usual metal used, nickel plated for corrosion resistance) is much harder than the plastic ring, the contact area, is so great that any load that would deform the plastic would probably exceed the limitations of the movement.

Metal case rings have certain advantages, one, the movement can be secured to the case ring with screws, and two, metal case rings last longer, plastic tends to deteriorate with age and repeated removal and re-installation wears off the plastic case rings friction nubs, so the movement becomes loose in the case.

Case rings provide no extra WR capabilities.
    Great info, thanks . It helped alot.

Im not the best with terms, I should of said case ring, the part that holds the movement to the case.
    Since posting my questiion iv learned much of what you said, just not worded so good. Steel (metal) really seems to be the way to go when you look at all that could go wrong.
    I want these things to be working along time, plastic seems to warp and cause problems with crown and stability, thats no good.

Crooked date hate!!!

Quote Originally Posted by HalifaxNS View Post

Im not the best with terms, I should of said case ring, the part that holds the movement to the case.
    Since posting my questiion iv learned much of what you said, just not worded so good. Steel (metal) really seems to be the way to go when you look at all that could go wrong.
    I want these things to be working along time, plastic seems to warp and cause problems with crown and stability, thats no good.
    Pretty sure most of the affordable lower-end Seikos that are so popular use plastic spacers, and they seem to work just fine...? Dunno, just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by HalifaxNS View Post

True, brass and aluminium is ok as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information