movement size in harmony with case size?
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: movement size in harmony with case size?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is it just me, or is a mismatched movement in a too large or too small case is a real deal breaker. I'm mechanically inclined and have been all my life, and one of the many joys of owning a few nice mechanical watches is knowing the mechanism is the core of the timepiece - and that everything should spring from this this core.

Before recent times, the case was linked to the movement, and the goal was small, thin and lite. There was a natural connection between the two. Now it seems this connection has been broken. The reasons are many to be sure, and I'm glad mechanical watches have made such a nice comeback from the initial quartz revolution, still, I seek a balance from days gone by.

It’s no accident that even amongst the highest prized brands, that the display back disappears when the ratio of case to movement gets out of harmony with each other.

One could just buy a vintage piece or a Rolex. Done. But looking to the future, with new moments being designed from the ground up and the success of Nomos utilizing a classic vintage ebauche there are many ways this plays into the new offerings. Take the new skeleton offerings among the fashion watch scene, or new startups utilizing large in-house manufacture (I'm thinking Frederique Constant) which will lock them into the big watch statement for the duration of that mechanism. Or innovation that has lead Omega to create somewhat larger movements, but chooses to place them in really thick and heavy cases, which could be streamlined, and they are not innovating on the thinness front too much (at least in a stainless case).

I understand not every watch should follow some set of rules that are important to me… but when everything is right… it's right.

Herbalizer
    Last edited by Herbalizer; December 27th, 2015 at 23:58.

Re: movement size in harmony with case size?

Makes for a great diversity in this addiction, understand totally your points . . . . me, not so much concerned as the frontside is really the "thing" I'm after, won't disregard a nice, size symmetric, open backside but that comes in a distant second in how I value/acquire/look at watches . . . put it all together, sure I'll take it but I rarely think about it as I'm on the hunt.
    Last edited by drhr; December 27th, 2015 at 21:36. Reason: spelling
    flybynight70 and ilitig8 like this.
    A.Lange & Sohne * Audemars Piguet * Blancpain * Cartier * Dornblueth & Sohne * Invicta * Jaeger-LeCoultre * Meraud * Rolex * Revolution Watch Company * Tudor

"the deeper the roots, the higher the reach" - author unknown

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself. - Rumi

It's you.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

A case that is too large for a movement has never been a deal breaker for me because large watches don't interest me to begin with. It can certainly look odd in some watches that I've seen.

I don't understand your other extreme, can you show me a movement that is in a too small case?
    Last edited by GlennO; December 27th, 2015 at 22:05.
    yankeexpress likes this.

Having space for shock absorption between the inside of the case and the movement is important.

Just like the brain inside the skull, there must be room for cushion in a crash.
    imlying and flybynight70 like this.

i was thinking of the pocket watch movements jammed into a wristwatch case... with no room to spare

I was thinking of pocket watch movements jammed into wristwatch size cases with no room to spare.

Not a dealbreaker to me, but I suppose it's something I'm aware of as part of the general aesthetics of a watch. But if I otherwise loved a watch, a tiny movement only visible through the back when I'm not even wearing the watch wouldn't stop me from buying it.

Given that looking at the movement is not at all important to me, I don't really care. And even then...all that should be necessary is to limit the size of the viewing window on the caseback.

Where it can matter is in dial geometry, particularly with a standard date complication, or with a watch with 1 subdial; or, at most, date and 1 subdial. (More than that, and you're really heaviliy restricted in dial size, IMO.) Say the movement puts it at the 6 position. OK...dial size dictates whether it's going to replace the 6 completely, or ride above the 6. Now you're changing the visuals considerably.

I really don't care about the size of the movement relative to case, but I do care about the overall look of the final product - the watch.
    Too often when movt is not sized properly - the watch itself will clearly show it - usually in dial balance, or case thickness.

As much as I like the new Omega Coaxial movements - their cases are too thick and I'm yet to find one w 85** or 93** that looks well on my wrist - shame. (large wristed individual may have a different perspective)
    The one area where small movement in a large case is always obvious is with chronographs - can't stand when subdials are way too close together and close to center. Similar issues can be seen w day\date watches where cutouts are positioned in such a way that dial looks unbalanced.
    "I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." George Bernard Shaw
    "Don?t argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" Greg King
    ?Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.? Mark Twain
    "The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
    "A Rose by any other name will smell as sweet. But it does not follow that whatever we choose to call a Rose will possess the Rose's fragrance." BB Warfield

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information