movement sizes

Thread: movement sizes

Confused movement sizes

Pardon my ignorance, but can anyone advise how important is a movements heigth (thickness) when replacing or renewing. I have found several alternatives of the same diameter i.e. 11 1/2 ligne for an empty watch case i have. Would a thinner movement need any additional 'packing'?
    Thanks for any info Zakfixit
    Zakfixit

stuffler,mike

Re: movement sizes

Quote Originally Posted by zakfixit View Post
    Pardon my ignorance, but can anyone advise how important is a movements heigth (thickness) when replacing or renewing. I have found several alternatives of the same diameter i.e. 11 1/2 ligne for an empty watch case i have. Would a thinner movement need any additional 'packing'?
    Thanks for any info Zakfixit
    Well, the question regarding the "ligne" is easy to answer: 1 line = 2.255 mm, so 11 1/2 line = 26 mm diameter (25,9325 mm). A thinner movement - as most of all other movements too - for sure needs an additional "packing", the right term would be "spacer". The spacers are usually made out of plastic or steel and are made to "hold" the movement in the position it has to be..
    You didn´t ask about the height of a movement. Imho you have to take this into consideration too. If the movement would be to high you can´t adjust the back or the rotor of an automatic movement will stick. Renewing/replacing a complete movement needs some skills though.

Re: movement sizes

Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike View Post
    Well, the question regarding the "ligne" is easy to answer: 1 line = 2.255 mm, so 11 1/2 line = 26 mm diameter (25,9325 mm). A thinner movement - as most of all other movements too - for sure needs an additional "packing", the right term would be "spacer". The spacers are usually made out of plastic or steel and are made to "hold" the movement in the position it has to be..
    You didn´t ask about the height of a movement. Imho you have to take this into consideration too. If the movement would be to high you can´t adjust the back or the rotor of an automatic movement will stick. Renewing/replacing a complete movement needs some skills though.
    Thanks for the info and your time:thanks
    Zakfixit

Thread Information