Which movement would you choose?
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By Donf
  • 1 Post By Steppy

Thread: Which movement would you choose?

Which movement would you choose?

I was thinking the other day how many brands, both big and small, have no choice (for a variety of reasons) but to use commercially available movements from third parties. I'm specifically thinking about mechanical movements, though I guess the same would apply to quartz movements. If you were in their position and had to build and design a new watch using a current, easily available movement , what would it be and why(i.e. ETA 2824/2893/6497, Soprod A10, Miyota 9015, Seiko 6r15, Seagull st36, etc.)?

Personally, I like what I've seen from the new Miyota movements and I think you could build a pretty cool watch around the 9130. It seems to be a well made, modern movement, with good specs; not to mention I have a thing for power reserve indicators.

WUS, what would you choose and why?

Re: Which movement would you choose?

I think the ETA movements are more easily decorated and look better when done so than the others, so, since I want to sell as many as possible I would do that and slap a display back on it, price it at 2900 and sell a ton.
    Or, I might just slap a Seagull in it and call the brand "Hans Bugere", advertise it a "Prestigious Swiss watchmaker since 1814" or some such lie, price it at 399.00 and sell a million every time my ad came out in Popular Mechanics.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

That is unfortunately an uncannily accurate description of the current state of affairs for a number of manufacturers.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hmmm...Seiko wouldn't sell me any of their movements that I'd love to use, I'd probably go with a Valgranges A07.111 That way I can fill up the whole display back and have the date where it belongs: On the perimeter of the dial.

If I was making a smaller watch, the Soprod A10 (Seiko 4L25 BTW) no contest.

The Soprod A10 is one of those movements that I've heard nothing but good things about, but have never personally owned or had a chance to really examine. I may have to change that.

Soprod A-10 is a great movement (as Domo said Seiko 4L25). Although theres a 18month waiting time for ordering and receiving it i've heard
    Domo likes this.

I've had great experiences with my ETA 2824s and Miyota autos. Both movements can be very accurate when regulated properly. I cant speak to the other models you listed, but these two certainly serve reliably.

Perhaps in your choice, one consideration is ease of service. It's nice to have the option to take it to any watchmaker and know they have experience doing a full service job right. And ideally, without great expense. But perhaps all of these movements fall into that category (?) Others on WUS with more knowledge than me would have to comment on that.

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Donf View Post
    I might just slap a Seagull in it and call the brand "Hans Bugere", advertise it a "Prestigious Swiss watchmaker since 1814" or some such lie, price it at 399.00 and sell a million every time my ad came out in Popular Mechanics.

Thread Information