Movements - help me out here, please

Thread: Movements - help me out here, please

Movements - help me out here, please

The biggest Swiss maker is ETA. There are also a couple of others (Sellita and DD) and some brands make their own movements too.

ETA is cutting down their supplies and we know that Tag is part of the LVMH group which has Zenith (El Primero, Elite movts.) watches too.

Many brands use a ETA base movt. and apply a rotor with their name. Some famous brands also use a base ETA movement and "add"? their own parts too.

This is TAG Caliber 16. Is it 100% Tag-Heuer? (El Primero?) Only in the last 18 months most "famous" brands are naming their movements with their own caliber (before they were happy to state - ie. ETA2824 - Valjoux 7750). Does anyone know what is actually happening, please?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Movements - help me out here, please

Quote Originally Posted by KTM650M View Post
    Only in the last 18 months most "famous" brands are naming their movements with their own caliber (before they were happy to state - ie. ETA2824 - Valjoux 7750). Does anyone know what is actually happening, please?
    I think it's quite clear - by focusing on internal calibre numbering, even if the base ETA is always 2824, 2892, 7750, 7001 etc., the movement supplier can change but the watch company doesn't have to change its own numbering.

For example Breitling's calibre 17 is currently a tweaked, finished ETA 2824. If the supplier moves from ETA to Sellita, it can still be a Breiting cal. 17.

Note that although ETA may be cutting off supplies of ebauches, it will still continue to sell finished, complete movements to watch companies outside of Swatch (what else would it do with all that massive manufacturing capacity)? This could force buyers to adopt "Powered by ETA" or "ETA inside" type markings. We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by publandlord View Post
    I think it's quite clear - by focusing on internal calibre numbering, even if the base ETA is always 2824, 2892, 7750, 7001 etc., the movement supplier can change but the watch company doesn't have to change its own numbering.

For example Breitling's calibre 17 is currently a tweaked, finished ETA 2824. If the supplier moves from ETA to Sellita, it can still be a Breiting cal. 17.

Note that although ETA may be cutting off supplies of ebauches, it will still continue to sell finished, complete movements to watch companies outside of Swatch (what else would it do with all that massive manufacturing capacity)? This could force buyers to adopt "Powered by ETA" or "ETA inside" type markings. We'll see.
    Thank you !!
    So you are saying (excuse my ignorance) that the Tag movt. is a base ETA!? and probably other makes do the same too. Can you tell by the picture that it is an ETA?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

stuffler,mike

Quote Originally Posted by KTM650M View Post
    Thank you !!
    So you are saying (excuse my ignorance) that the Tag movt. is a base ETA!? and probably other makes do the same too. Can you tell by the picture that it is an ETA?
    It´s an ETA/Valjoux 7750. And yes, you can tell from the pic if you know jow the 7750 is built. The 7750 is the most used chrono movement.

TAG Heuer movement overview:

TAG 2 = basicly ETA/Peseux 7001
    TAG 5 = basicly ETA 2824-2
    TAG 6 = basicly ETA 2895-1
    TAG 7 = basicly ETA 2892-2
    TAG 8 RS = base ETA 2824-2 plus module
    TAG 16 = basicly Valjoux 7750
    TAG 17 (RS)= basicly ETA 2894-2
    TAG 36 = Zenith EL Primero 400
    TAG 360 = base 2892-2 + chrono module

Thread Information