MRI and mechanical watches
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: MRI and mechanical watches

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

MRI and mechanical watches

My wife is going for an MRI before Cancer surgery today.
    As she is claustrophobic, I will be in the MRI room with her to help out/support.
    I'm not sure if they will allow any metal in the room so this question may be moot, but if they do, am I better off with my Citizen Eco-Drive, or Stowa Flieger?

Thanks guys and gals!

Robert
    Robert Libbey, RMT

Re: MRI and mechanical watches

You cannot bring any metal in the room with you, especially anything magnetic like steel. If they let you in the room, leave your watch, wallet, electronics, and anything else metallic (belt, coins) outside the room.

The magnet in an MRI is extremely powerful, and anything ferromagnetic is potentially a projectile. And, since the magnet is always on regardless of whether a scan is being performed, you should not bring anything metal into the MRI room even if you think it is off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    kerobert, CitizenM and Quotron like this.

Gotta say, this is a first.

Good luck to your wife
    kerobert, stratct and Toothbras like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Did a search (which I should have before posting I know, but hey, my heads not on straight at this point)
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/wat...es-426317.html

Thanks for the help and wishes.
    Robert Libbey, RMT

Quote Originally Posted by Laparoscopic Yoda View Post
    You cannot bring any metal in the room with you, especially anything magnetic like steel. If they let you in the room, leave your watch, wallet, electronics, and anything else metallic (belt, coins) outside the room.

The magnet in an MRI is extremely powerful, and anything ferromagnetic is potentially a projectile. And, since the magnet is always on regardless of whether a scan is being performed, you should not bring anything metal into the MRI room even if you think it is off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There's nothing wrong with metals that aren't effected by magnets(for example: titanium). I have been inside an MRI with several piercings(with permission, of course) and absolutely nothing happened.

As for a watch, no I wouldn't take one anywhere near a MRI machine. They're not friendly with each other and just based on size ratio I'm pretty sure MRI will come out as a winner every single time. Don't bring the watch to a battle it cannot win.
    mleok and kerobert like this.

Most MRI labs will not even let you take in non-magnetic metals just out of an abundance of caution. You'll be removed of all these objects in the antechamber. Remember, you won't be holding your own watch at this point (it'll probably be in a box outside or a locker if they provide one) so even though it won't get near an MRI, bring something you're not super concerned with losing.
    Donf and kerobert like this.

I'm not sure how I feel about this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Perseus View Post
    Sounds like SOMEBODY could use an FMRI so we can find out how they feel about the thread.
    Nokie, Perseus and Domo like this.

This came up last month and I looked up a few things -as I remember - The Omega Agua Terra 15,000 Gauss is the reining king of the rather limited group of antimagnetic watches, followed by the Rolex Milgauss at 1000 Gauss rating. The Omega should be OK around any current MRI machine - but, the technology of MRI is to ever increase the amount of the magnetic field, so who knows what we will be using 10 years down the road.

Despite the fact that the AT would be safe near one I doubt the tech will let you wear one - my wife took one of those 4 prog canes over the line several years ago. It flew up and out of her hand, went about 6 feet and attached itself to the MRI machine so well that it took the tech AND me to remove it. Can't see them chancing trying that with a watch which would have significantly less "handle" area to pull on.

Get some good earplugs if you have the time - some of the machine are LOUD, but they're getting quieter all the time (I've been 'hand holding' about once a year for the last 20 years!). Most imaging centers have headphone for the paient (depending on where they are looking, of course) and you should ask - they don'y always offer.

Best wishes for the results.
    kerobert likes this.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Based in South east asia, travelling between

Quote Originally Posted by Perseus View Post
    Here we are debating about watches...

The response should be: Sorry for the cancer, hope it all goes well.
    bu11itt, kerobert and T1meout like this.
    W.A.S. Watch Acquisition Syndrome Patient.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information