multiple questions. I will consolidate into one thread! thank you in advance.

Thread: multiple questions. I will consolidate into one thread! thank you in advance.

multiple questions. I will consolidate into one thread! thank you in advance.

1. can you recommend me a watch tool kit? for strap changing, maybe future battery changes etc.

2. there seems to be a preference for the orient blue mako over the orient blue ray. anything im missing here? i like the looks of the ray over the mako.

3. before i purchase a watch, how can i tell if the strap CANNOT be replaced with another style?

4. my bulova marine star came from princeton watches dot com. my first watch since a Relic i bought in middle school. i know this site has sponsors but i cant seem to find a vendor of multiple brands on the "shop" page here.

5. where can i buy vostok watches?

6. thoughts on Tauchmeister?

7. is there a sticky or reference thread that lists the movement manufacturer for different brands?

8. could the band on a citizen scuba fin be replaced with something other than the oem strap?

8.5. how do you know if a "swiss made" watch isnt garbage? does swiss quartz or swiss made not mean much anymore? do you have to research each company everytime?

9. thank you so much for your patience. i previously built cars, currently build firearms, and naturally i purchased one watch 3 months ago....now im hooked.

here is my marinestar. i paid 299 shipped. not a great deal but i had seen worse prices.

thanks! i look forward to learning.

ps. here is the scuba fin im wondering about the strap.

pss! i am a huuge f1 fan, when did they dump tag heuer and move to hublot??!
    Last edited by OliverClozov; August 30th, 2012 at 01:44.

Re: multiple questions. I will consolidate into one thread! thank you in advance.

if you have a question about my question/s please ask!

Re: multiple questions. I will consolidate into one thread! thank you in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by OliverClozov View Post
    1. can you recommend me a watch tool kit? for strap changing, maybe future battery changes etc.

2. there seems to be a preference for the orient blue mako over the orient blue ray. anything im missing here? i like the looks of the ray over the mako.

3. before i purchase a watch, how can i tell if the strap CANNOT be replaced with another style?

4. my bulova marine star came from princeton watches dot com. my first watch since a Relic i bought in middle school. i know this site has sponsors but i cant seem to find a vendor of multiple brands on the "shop" page here.

5. where can i buy vostok watches?

6. thoughts on Tauchmeister?

7. is there a sticky or reference thread that lists the movement manufacturer for different brands?

8. could the band on a citizen scuba fin be replaced with something other than the oem strap?

9. thank you so much for your patience. i previously built cars, currently build firearms, and naturally i purchased one watch 3 months ago....now im hooked.

here is my marinestar. i paid 299 shipped. not a great deal but i had seen worse prices.

thanks! i look forward to learning.

ps. here is the scuba fin im wondering about the strap.

pss! i am a huuge f1 fan, when did they dump tag heuer and move to hublot??!
    I'll answer the few that come to mind, and skip the ones I am not knowledgable about.

1) Forget the tool kit. What you want are a good strap changing forked tool (the Bergeon is the best, but a cheapo works almost as well), a screwdriver set (get a European set with the little wheeled holder), a jewelers tweezers set, and a caseback opener (I have the LG version and it works great). You can also use a rubber ball to open most screwdown casebacks but the caseback opener is better to seal them. Ebay or Amazon will have any of these. If you plan to open casebacks, get some silicon grease to lube the gaskets for water tightness.

2) Get the one you think looks better.

3) Good question. The ones with lugs that narrow where the strap attaches are proprietary and cannot accept aftermarket straps (without cutting them to fit that is). Just follow the strap up to where it attaches across the lugs. If it narrows, an aftermarket strap will have to be modified to fit if you want to keep the same strap width.

4) Google is your friend searching for dealers.

5) No idea.

6) German labeled watches made in Asia. Not awful, but you get what you pay for.

7) Not to my knowledge. Most movements in entry level watches will have Japanese quartz, automatic, or Swiss ETA quartz and automatic movements.

8) From your picture, read my reply to #3. Notice how the strap narrows at the lugs. It takes a proprietary strap.
    Lots of dive watches.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

perfect! so this is what you mean?

thatd be the width unless i found one that tapered.

Well you won't find any strap that tapers like that - that is why the factory strap is the only one that will fit. Otherwise you will have to put a narrow strap on it and it will look terrible. You can cut a wider strap, although the lug design on that citizen is curved so that will be challenging (but it can be done by mirroring the original strap).

perfect! so this is what you mean?

thatd be the width unless i found one that tapered.
    Lots of dive watches.

hmm. im looking for a citizens to restrap for a daily wearer. i get 1/2 on them, and all of my dads coworkers (pilots) swear they are the best value per dollar in the 150-600 range.

hmm. im looking for a citizens to restrap for a daily wearer. i get 1/2 on them, and all of my dads coworkers (pilots) swear they are the best value per dollar in the 150-600 range.
    Then find one with normal lugs. There are hundreds of choices.
    Lots of dive watches.

Vostoks are typically found on ebay, Zenitar, Meranom, and Chistopolcity off the top of my head are reputable sellers.

Tauchmeister iirc made ok watches, but I'd much rather buy something else at that price point.

I'd suggest the Nighthawk then. 2 different versions though. The US market one has a lasered back but full lume, while the Asian versions has a much nicer engraved caseback, but only lume "dots/dashes" iirc, it has 22mm lugs which a variety of straps can fit.
    Name:  Citizen-watches-review-Citizen-Nighthawk-BJ7000-52E.jpg
Views: 908
Size:  165.4 KB
    Last edited by biggish_burrito; August 30th, 2012 at 06:25. Reason: more info

8.5: a lot of people will say many high end Japanese watches such as the Grand Seiko and now even Citizen beat out many in the same class of Swiss watches, such as Rolex, Omega, etc. The cheaper Seiko, Citizen, and Orient watches are a great value too. Same with the Chinese company Sea-Gull. The super high end Swiss watches such as Patek are mostly considered the best, along with Swiss Audemars Piguet and German A. Lange and Sohne. Many watches that claim to be Swiss made such as Invicta have 51% of the watch placed together in Switzerland and the rest designed, manufactured, and made in China. Another thing you should research is ETA vs other movements.
    Current: Seiko 5 SNGZ71, Seiko SKX007, G-Shock G9000-1V

Grail: Omega SMP 300 or Planet Ocean Orange Bezel

Admitted Seiko fan!

Thread Information