Musings about Grand Seiko
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Musings about Grand Seiko

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Musings about Grand Seiko

I've been impressed by GS for sometime despite not seeing one in-person. My only criticism, or wish, would be that they distinguished their look a little more so they were a little more set-apart from a standard Seiko, much like Credor. Here's a little photoshopping I did. If they looked a little more like this, I'd be much more willing to buy one. As it is, the current labeling would likely be a deal-breaker for me.

Name:  GrSeik.jpg
Views: 616
Size:  85.4 KB

Anyone else? It's just that they are really special, so why not make them a little more distinct.

For the record, I still like them a lot.
    Tudor 76200 Date + Day
    JeanRichard Highlands 24004
    Ω Omega 50s SS Cal. 267
    Seiko SKX007 Mod with 171 dial
    Bulova 1956 Cal. 11 ACAC
    Waltham 70s Cal. PUW 1663s

Re: Musings about Grand Seiko

What did you do to it in Photoshop, just add the 25 jewels? EDIT: After reading some other posts, yes, you replaced the main SEIKO logo with the GS. And yes, I suppose what the others say about GS being a walking advertisement is true but the point I tried to make below still stands, in my opinion.
    One of the charms of the high-end Japanese watches from Seiko and Citizen, both mechanical and quartz (which I much prefer) is their under-stated elegance and simplicity. I wouldn't want them to talk any more loudly than the polite whisper they use now. But I don't expect everyone's taste to be the same, so I guess there's room for a bit more... more what?
    Last edited by artec; August 28th, 2014 at 20:09.
    adi4 likes this.

I assume the main thing you did was to remove the Seiko logo from the dial? This has been discussed at length, that the point of the Grand Seiko line was to showcase what a Seiko would be if it was executed with the utmost care and consummate skill, and that the primary purpose is to raise the perception of the Seiko brand. While removing the standard Seiko logo from the dial might improve Grand Seiko sales, particularly outside Japan, it would compromise that connection with Seiko that is such a matter of pride for them.

Look, a Grand Seiko is first and foremost a Seiko, they're proud of that fact, and it is an integral part of the identity of the brand. If that is bothersome, then you don't perhaps fully understand the ethos behind the brand. Okay, the natural response is to bring up Credor, but the aesthetics of a Credor are quite distinct from the regular Seiko lineup.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay, Black Bay GMT.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Ming 17.06; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It a viable reason for not picking one up, but it all comes down to image. It sort reminds me of a guy on youtube who was ranting and raving about GS being fake luxury and a scam, all because it only said seiko on the dial. Personally, I like it the way it is. They have some of the most uncluttered dials around. Seiko at top and GS plus a couple of specs at the bottom. It's cool and much more nuanced.
    wschofield3 and Surfrider like this.
    "Aimez les montres"
    -Philippe Peverelli

I get what you are saying, mleok, and I probably don't fully understand their ethos, but while it elevates regular Seikos, it also slightly diminishes Grand Seikos in my opinion.

If these or similar small changes were made, I personally would prefer that. And, it still has the word Seiko in the name so I don't think many people would have a hard time figuring out who was behind it all.

If it has been discussed at length, then surely some others feel the same way. I'm not saying I want it to be flashy and obnoxious. The simplicity and clean design would remain.
    Tudor 76200 Date + Day
    Ω Omega 50s SS Cal. 267
    Bulova 1956 Cal. 11 ACAC

Can you transform it into a diver that isn't 44+mm in size? THAT is the GS that the people want! I find it odd that there is a huge hole in their lineup, they continuously make the same 37-40mm looking watch over and over but the only divers are enormous. Aren't they made for the Japanese? Those people are tiny! Please, Seiko, make a mechanical GS diver for normal wristed people!!!!!!!
    Mike2, Mark355, Citizen V and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur M View Post
    ...It sort reminds me of a guy on youtube who was ranting and raving about GS being fake luxury and a scam, all because it only said seiko on the dial...
    I definitely don't feel that way about it. I made this post because I like ALMOST everything about them. I feel they are one of the best watches money can buy. I'm not trashing the brand or hoping to offend anyone who has one. They are beautiful.
    Tudor 76200 Date + Day
    Ω Omega 50s SS Cal. 267
    Bulova 1956 Cal. 11 ACAC

Quote Originally Posted by mleok View Post
    I assume the main thing you did was to remove the Seiko logo from the dial? This has been discussed at length, that the point of the Grand Seiko line was to showcase what a Seiko would be if it was executed with the utmost care and consummate skill, and that the primary purpose is to raise the perception of the Seiko brand. While removing the standard Seiko logo from the dial might improve Grand Seiko sales, particularly outside Japan, it would compromise that connection with Seiko that is such a matter of pride for them.

Look, a Grand Seiko is first and foremost a Seiko, they're proud of that fact, and it is an integral part of the identity of the brand. If that is bothersome, then you don't perhaps fully understand the ethos behind the brand. Okay, the natural response is to bring up Credor, but the aesthetics of a Credor are quite distinct from the regular Seiko lineup.
    This, IMO, is a perfect response. As many have said before, to hold one in your hand is to appreciate the fine details and craftsmanship that GS has to offer. Heck, if all I did was look at pictures, and I did for a couple of years, I never would have purchased a GS. When I saw my first one in the metal last summer, even my wife was asking me if I wanted to buy it as she even saw it as a very special watch on sight.

I've recently traded in my GS for another watch that I'd been desiring for a very long time. It was very hard to part with it, however, you can bet that I'll be getting another one as soon as possible. Truth be told, while the watch I traded towards is better than the GS in most aspects, it just shows me how dang incredible GS is for the money as it is not night and day, and the GS costs less than half of the one I got.

Quote Originally Posted by mleok View Post

+1

OP: I get what you're saying and yes, other's have been critical of Seiko using the Seiko Logo on a Grand Seiko, but I'm not one of them. They are exceptional timepieces, with a strong heritage and Seiko is rightfully proud of who they are, and what they can build. Having pride in your name, heritage and quality are hallmarks of who Seiko is. If that bothers you and you wouldn't strap one to your wrist because of the Seiko name, that's your right, but also, in my humble opinion, your loss. I'm very happy to wear my Grand Seiko as are countless others!
    wschofield3 likes this.
    I am no longer active on WUS. If you would like to contact me, please feel free to email me: rbrylaw fifty five at yahoo

Quote Originally Posted by Surfrider View Post
    I get what you are saying, mleok, and I probably don't fully understand their ethos, but while it elevates regular Seikos, it also slightly diminishes Grand Seikos in my opinion.

If these or similar small changes were made, I personally would prefer that. And, it still has the word Seiko in the name so I don't think many people would have a hard time figuring out who was behind it all.

If it has been discussed at length, then surely some others feel the same way. I'm not saying I want it to be flashy and obnoxious. The simplicity and clean design would remain.
    Sorry for the possible double post but just saw this.

My GS was the only watch one of my very frugal friends asked about over a 20 year period of knowing him. I love him, but he wouldn't know quality if it hit him over the head, or so I thought. Everything he buys is about being "less expensive", including his cars, clothes....etc..

Even HE recognized it as something special over dinner one night...asking me what it was for the first time since I've known him...and he knows I'm a watch guy.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information