Is my Chrono broken?

Thread: Is my Chrono broken?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is my Chrono broken?

First off, I apologize for the probable simplicity of this question.

I have a ~10 year old Chronograph that recently had a new Chronograph movement put in (~1 year ago) as the watch no longer functioned and it needed to be replaced.

The watch has the standard hour, minute and second hands with 3 sub-dials (seconds, 60 minute and 12 hour); along with the standard crown and 2 pusher configuration.

When I push the second pusher the main second hand on the watch and the minute sub-dial return to the zero'd position (the sub-dial second hand and the sub-dial hour marker DO NOT). Pressing the first pusher re-starts the main second hand and the sub-dial minute hand in motion.

I cannot for the life of me remember if this was always the case or if this is just since the service work done to it.

I was under the impression that the second pusher was to reset ALL of the sub-dials to the zero'd position; thus allowing you to individually time an event from seconds to minutes to hours while still having the main hands display the time). As it sits now I can time seconds with the main second hand and minutes with the sub-dial minute marker, but I am unable to time hours (as the hour marker wont zero out) and the sub-dial second hand then seems pointless if it wont zero out.

Am I right in that this is wrong, or is this how it is supposed to be?

v76

Re: Is my Chrono broken?

If it a configuration similar to the 7750 chrono movement (or a 7750), the seconds hand will be the subdial at "9", the chronograph seconds will be the large sweep seconds. It sounds like your movement is working just fine if that is the case. The 2nd pusher just resets the chronograph hours, minutes and seconds, it does not interfere with displaying the regular time.
    Collection:
    A few of this and some of the other ...

"I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty" - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by v76 View Post
    If it a configuration similar to the 7750 chrono movement (or a 7750), the seconds hand will be the subdial at "9", the chronograph seconds will be the large sweep seconds. It sounds like your movement is working just fine if that is the case. The 2nd pusher just resets the chronograph hours, minutes and seconds, it does not interfere with displaying the regular time.
    This is my watch in question...

The second (bottom) pusher will reset the main second hand (with the Mickey head on the end) on the watch and the minute sub-dial (at the 12 o'clock position) to zero (12 o'clock). The first (top) pusher will start these hands in movement again.

The pushers have no effect on the second sub-dial (seen at the 6 o'clock position) or the hour sub-dial (seen at the 9 o'clock position). Rendering them, IMO, useless for timing anything as I would have to basically remember where they are at the start and subtract that from the end of the event I am timing.

The three sub-dials should all reset to zero (12 o'clock) with the pressing of the second (bottom) pusher and restart at the pressing of the first (top) pusher... correct?
    Last edited by GreenHornWatch; April 18th, 2010 at 20:19.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The seconds (6 o'clock postion) should be constant with or w/o the chrono being used. The large seconds hand is your chrono seconds and should reset to the 12 o'clock position and your 12 o'clock subdial should reset as well. Your 9 o'clock (which sounds like your problem subdial from your description) should reset as well, this is your hour chrono counter. So the 6 o'clock should not reset and be constant, your 9 o'clock and 12 o'clock subdials should reset, your large seconds hand should reset to 12 o'clock.
    Better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done...

After running the chrono for at least a couple of hours, take a "before picture", then stop and hit the rest and take an "after" picture. Post both here.

Thank you for the responses. I will snap a couple of images here tonight and post them up.

I read through the manual which I dug out of a drawer and it stated you had to pull the crown out to the second position and press the pushers in a certain order as well in order to fully reset the sub-dials for use. After doing this the following happens:

6 o'clock sub-dial = constantly running
    9 o'clock sub-dial = semi-returns to position (it between the 11:30 & 12 position)
    12 o'clock sub-dial = returns to the upright (60) position
    The main second hand = returns to the 12 o'clock position

So from that it seems to be running correctly based on your responses except that the 9 o'clock sub-dial doesnt fully return to the zero'd position. Again, I will post the two images of zero'd and running shortly.

Thanks again.

Looks like you have a quartz chronograph there. Occasionally one of the chronograph hands will not reset perfectly to zero on these movements. They typically have a function where you can adjust the reset point by pulling the crown out to the first or second position and then holding down one of the chronograph pushers. Keep checking in the manual to see if the exact procedure is documented there.

Here is the direction sheet that came with the watch. This is all there is...

Doing exactly this will not reset the Chrono Minute sub-dial (located at 9 o'clock), only the Main Chrono Second hand. As far as adjusting the hands through pressing the pushers only the Main Chrono Second hand is adjusted by pressing the first pusher (PB1), and nothing else.

If I do exactly as the directions say the Chrono Minute sub-dial (located at 12 o'clock) will not return to zero when I push the reset pusher. Instead, when I have the Crown out to the second position and press the second pusher (PB2) only then does the Chrono Minute sub-dial reset to zero. Then after returning the Crown to the "0" position the Chrono Minute sub-dial will continue to reset to zero when the reset pusher is pressed.

The problem still remains with the Chrono Hour sub-dial (9 o'clock).

Since the Chrono running is not a problem I figured I could just use the same shot as before paired with an image of the Chrono dials zero'd out.

On the left is the original image showing all dials and hands in motion.

On the right is the shot from tonight showing everything set back to zero. You can see the 12 o'clock sub-dial along with the Main Second hand have reset properly. The 6 o'clock sub-dial remains in constant motion (which as has been mentioned is appropriate). The 9 o'clock sub-dial however does not fully reset and no configuration of the Crown or pressing of the pushers seems to adjust this dial... when it resets it returns to the 11:45 hour position.

In the end it means my timing with the Chrono is off by 15 minutes approximately. Some may say it isnt a big deal but to me I expect accuracy in a watch.

It looks like that your watch have Citizen diver hands on it (except the second hand with the mickey head), maybe the movement is from Citizen/Miyota too. Could you post the caseback pic?

The back does not say much...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information