My collection is losing its theme, and my taste is changing. PICS of current state of collection.
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: My collection is losing its theme, and my taste is changing. PICS of current state of collection.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

My collection is losing its theme, and my taste is changing. PICS of current state of collection.

I always thought I would buy what sang to me, but try to diversify my small collection, and grow it into a nice 5 watch collection that covers all basis, and have at least a few of the brands that I really like for their movements and history, and also diversify the complications in the watch. A dual time, a chrono, and an annual cal were things I imagine I really wanted in my collection.

The BLNR came first, I love it just like I did when I received it and it has shared most my experiences with me.
    Then came the 5711, which I love and serves a different purpose than the BLNR. My travel robust watch + beater.
    Then the vintage bug hit me, and I got the 1680 white. Now I cannot seem to get the vintage rolex out of my wrist.
    I now find the BLNR too "blingy". I find the lugs a little large, and the watch having too much presence. I can't help but take it off whenever I wear it, and strap the vintage back on. Also possibly due to the fact that my wrists are small, but I never saw the date coming where my BLNR would stop getting as much wrist time. I still think it is a beautiful watch, but I do think it shines too much sometimes.

I am now thinking of adding another vintage Rolex GMT pepsi 16750.
    In a 4 watch collection, to have 3 Rolexes is quiet a lot I think.
    I can't flip the BLNR as it has too much sentimental value, but I really love the feel of vintage. It is such a warm feeling, and they are not becoming any easier to find with time.

I can't believe how much my taste has changed. I used to love the presence of the BLNR, and considered something in gold or two tone at one point, I am now really gravitating towards a more "under the radar" look.

/End rant.

Surely others can relate to quick changes in taste.
    Curious if you guys ended up selling watches you once really loved and shared a lot of time with as your tastes evolved.

Name:  IMG_5602.JPG
Views: 845
Size:  2.19 MBName:  IMG_5600.JPG
Views: 826
Size:  1.98 MBName:  IMG_5599.JPG
Views: 828
Size:  2.41 MBName:  IMG_4914.jpg
Views: 818
Size:  782.5 KB

Re: My collection is losing its theme, and my taste is changing. PICS of current state of collection

Its probably the polished center links that seem to make the BLNR seem to blingy but to answer your question not yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    TimelessFan likes this.

Re: My collection is losing its theme, and my taste is changing. PICS of current state of collection

Trading in and buying new watches is the way I go. It's nice for your collection/tastes to grow with you.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by clarken View Post
    Its probably the polished center links that seem to make the BLNR seem to blingy but to answer your question not yet.

You are probably right about it being the PCLs. But the shiny bezel doesn't help, and the really thick lugs make me feel like they are becoming too oversized.
    Just strange how different I feel compared to how I felt about it in the past
    Just that it is my first watch, and I still think it is beautiful in spite of all that, so I don't know if I will let go of this one.
    If it had no sentimental value it would have been flipped for a 16750 already.

Quote Originally Posted by Em1224 View Post
    Trading in and buying new watches is the way I go. It's nice for your collection/tastes to grow with you.
    Doesn't it somehow feel bad that this means your watches don't have too much sentimental value with you though?
    I do love that the tastes grow and change, but it sucks if a watch you loved and shared a ton of time and experiences with is no longer singing to you like it did.

Quote Originally Posted by masterpro View Post
    I always thought I would buy what sang to me, but try to diversify my small collection, and grow it into a nice 5 watch collection that covers all basis, and have at least a few of the brands that I really like for their movements and history, and also diversify the complications in the watch. A dual time, a chrono, and an annual cal were things I imagine I really wanted in my collection.

The BLNR came first, I love it just like I did when I received it and it has shared most my experiences with me.
    Then came the 5711, which I love and serves a different purpose than the BLNR. My travel robust watch + beater.
    Then the vintage bug hit me, and I got the 1680 white. Now I cannot seem to get the vintage rolex out of my wrist.
    I now find the BLNR too "blingy". I find the lugs a little large, and the watch having too much presence. I can't help but take it off whenever I wear it, and strap the vintage back on. Also possibly due to the fact that my wrists are small, but I never saw the date coming where my BLNR would stop getting as much wrist time. I still think it is a beautiful watch, but I do think it shines too much sometimes.

I am now thinking of adding another vintage Rolex GMT pepsi 16750.
    In a 4 watch collection, to have 3 Rolexes is quiet a lot I think.
    I can't flip the BLNR as it has too much sentimental value, but I really love the feel of vintage. It is such a warm feeling, and they are not becoming any easier to find with time.

I can't believe how much my taste has changed. I used to love the presence of the BLNR, and considered something in gold or two tone at one point, I am now really gravitating towards a more "under the radar" look.

/End rant.

Surely others can relate to quick changes in taste.
    Curious if you guys ended up selling watches you once really loved and shared a lot of time with as your tastes evolved.
    Everyone's tastes change, it is human nature. And we all get bored with more of the same, again human nature. You talk about your watches as if they are your intimate friend or lover. A watch is a watch, expect too much from it and it will always disappoint. To me, this is why there is no such thing as a "classic." The whole concept is flawed. You buy a "classic" thinking you will wear it happily for 20 years and then find after a couple that it is stale looking. A small variation or two later and you are on the hunt again for another "classic" watch. I think the best policy is to buy a watch with the full awareness that in some amount of time, you will tire of it and want a new one. Using that, you can then budget appropriately.
    rdoder and Toothbras like this.

Banned

you could let go of your old watches, get the new ones to suit your taste

I would hold onto it for a bit before deciding if I've really lost all love for it.
    I'm in the same dilemma now with my Sinn.
    ROLEX Datejust 36mm Blueberry;
    ROLEX Pepsi GMT-Master 16700 (Circa 1987);
    ZENITH El Primero 36'000 VPH Tri-Color;
    SEIKO Prospex Solar Tuna SBDN026 (1981/3000)

Considerations:
    AUDEMARS PIGUET Royal Oak 15450
    A.LANGE & SOHNE Saxonia Thin 37mm

Instagram: Horodiziac

Love the PP 5711 and your vintage Sub. I also did not like the change to beefed up lugs on the BLNR. IMHO.
    Current Collection: Breitling Chronomat 44 / Panerai 183 / Rolex Submariner 16610

Quote Originally Posted by clarken View Post

PCL on the BLNR are the reason why I will not add it to my collection.
    "Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened." ~ Anatole France

Breitling|Tag Heuer|Omega|Rolex|Ulysse Nardin

Beware of trading the Rolexes with "untradeable" watches, such as ... non-Rolex. You're definitely missing a chronograph, a Speedy suppose. Speedys are starting to be tradeable but you need to find the right vintage.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information