My Dan Henry 1970 40 mm exploded
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: My Dan Henry 1970 40 mm exploded

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Let me just start by saying I was super excited to receive this watch. When I got the text that it had arrived I rushed home from work to open it. I was immediately impressed by the looks and quality of the watch especially for 250 dollars. I wore it for the first week that I got it and obsessed over it with all my watch nerd friends, even got some to buy one themselves.

Then something very strange happened. I took the watch off and put it in my box where it sat for about a week. I went to put it on tonight and found that the crystal had like exploded from the inside? Im not quite sure what happened and have never heard of anything like this but it seems to have gotten pressurized somehow. The weirdest part is just the top part cracked, there is still some part of the crystal attacked to the bezel. Idk how to explain it over text maybe yall can tell what I mean from the photos.

Im curious to see if anyone here has heard of this happening before? I have emailed Dan Henry to see what they say. I attached pics below.

Let me know what yall think.

Update: @10:55 pm
    Wow pretty good customer service from Dan. He has already personally gotten back to me and said that they have seen this issue on a few of them. I will be sending it back for a new one soon. How weird to come home to a exploded watch. Glad I am not crazy after all!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Inater; October 31st, 2017 at 06:56.
    MonTex, Synequano and Perseus like this.

Re: My Dan Henry 1970 40 mm exploded

Maybe the crystal wasn't perfectly round and was forced to fit? That kind of material under tension can shatter.
    brandon\ and VaEagle like this.

Is there any way possible that someone in your household could have gotten a hold of the watch and cracked the crystal by accident, put it back and didn't tell you (i.e. your kids). I find the mysterious self-combustion theory a bit...unlikely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    IG: Tavio_George

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The horological equivalent of the Galaxy Note 7. (Seriously, though, sorry that happened.)
    Synequano, lvt, Perseus and 2 others like this.
    Universal Geneve | Breitling/DPW | Hamilton | Citizen | Vertigo | G-Shock

No I live alone in an apartment. Trust me I thought similar things about staff coming in and somehow doing it but I checked the cameras and no one has entered. I am very confused. I was trying to think did it crack while I was wearing it but didnt notice? But there is no way cause picked it up out of my box and saw that it was cracked and went to touch it and the crystal just fell off. There is also chips all in the watch like it popped. So strange

Quote Originally Posted by MarqDePombal View Post
    Is there any way possible that someone in your household could have gotten a hold of the watch and cracked the crystal by accident, put it back and didn't tell you (i.e. your kids). I find the mysterious self-combustion theory a bit...unlikely.

There was a 40th anniversary re-issue of the first Vostok Amphibia from 1967, aptly named the “1967.” It has a mineral crystal as well and there were several documented cases of this same phenomenon occurring. Some suspect it had something to do with changes in temperature which exposed a manufacturing defect of some kind. I tried searching for the thread where this was discussed but couldn’t find it. Here’s mine. Luckily my crystal is fine.

Last edited by JonS1967; October 31st, 2017 at 07:17.
    brandon\ likes this.

Ard

I agree with the fellow suggesting that this relates to a manufacturing flaw. Either the crystal or the bevel / lip in the case where the crystal seats were out of round causing torque, torsion pressure on that crystal. I'll be interested in hearing what the makers do with this one.

Ard

Quote Originally Posted by Scribeliever View Post
    The horological equivalent of the Galaxy Note 7. (Seriously, though, sorry that happened.)
    I know Im pretty bummed. It's my first time trying a micro brand and I was pretty excited with what I saw coming out of Dan Henry. It will be interesting to see what they say. At the end of the day it was a watch that I thought was super fun and would get for lake/ocean adventures, not gonna stress too much about it at $250. Really just curious to know what people think/if they had seen this before.
    Scribeliever likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Inater View Post
    No I live alone in an apartment. Trust me I thought similar things about staff coming in and somehow doing it but I checked the cameras and no one has entered. I am very confused. I was trying to think did it crack while I was wearing it but didnt notice? But there is no way cause picked it up out of my box and saw that it was cracked and went to touch it and the crystal just fell off. There is also chips all in the watch like it popped. So strange
    Ok, just feel it's strange. In any event, I hope you get your issue resolved. Best of luck!

IG: Tavio_George

Geeze that sucks. I agree that it most likely was not a good fit and cracked under pressure. It just took awhile to get to the breaking point. In an off hand similar story in the recent news, car sun roofs are getting supersized and some are exploding for no reason.

Check this link .....
    https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...nger-overhead/

Good luck, Bob

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information