my experience: Parnis Power Reserve (open heart)
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: my experience: Parnis Power Reserve (open heart)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Pen my experience: Parnis Power Reserve (open heart)

Hi WUS,

Doing this for the first time, since I myself, struggled researching, having to collate info and opinions from a gazillion sources before making the purchase. With a lot of people, especially in here, shooting them down just cause of 'branding', it become a little unclear for the novice such as me, if they are any good or a buy and hope they work for more than a week; I tend to be a little finicky where I spend my little $£€, even if this was just under €80 shipped .

Hopefully giving something back to the community, with my little experience helping other first time buyers, like myself.

Here it goes:

Name:  n30vwx.jpg
Views: 720
Size:  117.9 KB

I have now had this little of a gem for around 2 weeks (original acquisition post here), and having become my go to wristwatch to combine with non formal office work and casual day to day requirements, I think I have now made my mind on it*.

The watch itself is a stunner, don't be fooled by the price tag folks, my wife's dad is a retired watch tech, having worked at a local Omega AD, i.e he knows a thing or two about nice watches. His feedback, "are you sure that cost only €75?" Dial is crisp and clean, and blue on white looks fantastic, open heart also looks nice, albeit maybe not to everyone's liking. Scene through case back can be a little boring, since rotor is not even marked.

The watch also seems to be the absolute maximum a puny 6.5" wrist like mine, can handle.

The mechanics a lot of people will probably (surely) know way more than me on the inner workings of the Seagull ST2505 (**05 is the open heart version), out of the box, it has not been the most accurate of them all, although reading others feedback on the ST25, I seem to have been a little unlucky; in the past two weeks, having seen around 100 hrs of wrist time it has gained almost 5 minutes, i.e not very impressive accuracy.

And yes, you know where some people state the rotor is noisy, hell, its like a metal on metal noise with some whooshing thrown in for good measure . The guess of above mentioned tech, is that it probably needs oil. As soon as I got it out of the 2 feet of bubble wrap I it was shipped in, I gave it a whirl, instantly said to myself, I should have got me a few 6 packs of Guinness with them €75. Honestly, on the wrist, I have yet to ever hear the rotor, unless i'm specifically on the look out, in a quiet room, even then, it ain't so bad.

In relation to power reserve, 8 hours on the wrist will get you a full charge (45 hrs on the indicator) from about 10 hours marked on the indicator. I also think the 45 hr power reserve is a little pessimistic. From full, 36 hrs off the wrist will end up to around 15 hrs on the indicator.

Hand winding action is considerably meaty and mechanical, with a lovely smooth action and no notches (i'm not sure I used correct technical jargon there ), it does have about 15 degree of free-play, before it actually starts to wind. This might be by design..

The strap, I immediately took note of a number of people saying the strap on Parnis watches are crap, so decided to get a blue replacement, which just arrived today. The original strap buckle is so pointy and sharp, it literally hurt my wrist and scarred me; whilst although I also never had a expensive leather strap in hand, with the little usage it has seen, it has already started to bend and mark where it meets the buckle, while on the wrist, which to me, points it must indeed be of inferior quality.

Verdict *All in all, a fantastic little timepiece that would fit in any collection, if you could just ignore 'made in china' and the lack of heritage; whilst changing the strap
    Last edited by ec8_civic; July 9th, 2016 at 18:17.
    emonje likes this.
    Owns:
    Tissot Le Locle (T41541373)
    Momentum Atlas (1M-SP)
    Parnis Power Reserve (Portuguese wannabee)
    Bulova Marine Star (98B014)
    Citizen Eco Drive (H500-S050685)

Wants:

Re: my experience: Parnis Power Reserve (open heart)

looks like a seiko presage gone through heart surgery and the doctor ....ed up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    emonje likes this.
    Rolex, Nomos, Panerai and Sekio

Quote Originally Posted by Badbebe View Post
    looks like a seiko presage gone through heart surgery and the doctor ....ed up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Lol

I'm not entirely sure what point you are trying to make there
    Owns:
    Momentum Atlas (1M-SP)

Wants:

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

A Parnis thread in the public forum, I have a feeling that unfortunately this may not end well...
    chicolabronse likes this.

You'd probably get a much warmer response in the Affordable or Chinese forum but nice work on the review anyway. I have a Parnis and was impressed for the price (accurate too).
    John MS likes this.

Well, it is somewhat refreshing to see some objectivity in a Parnis review, as these are often littered with "as good as IWC, at a fraction of the price" fanboyism.
    I personally see no issue with Made in China (there are some solid watches coming from China), nor lack of heritage (Lange or Journe anyone?). That said, being objective - Parnis does not get a lot of love on F2 and with a good reason - their bread and butter are knockoffs at dirt cheap prices.

Still, for the price it seems like a decent option. Design is somewhat of a IWC Portuguese and Seiko Presage mix, but at least not a knock-off (pardon, "homage").
    I do think that calling it a fantastic piece is a bit of a stretch, when the same review acknowledges awful strap\buckle, metal on metal grinding noise. I do think it is a potentially attractive watch and you should enjoy it, but accuracy is at the high limit for me with 2.5min deviation in a week (20+ seconds daily)
    Badbebe and Sevenmack like this.
    "I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." George Bernard Shaw
    "Don?t argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" Greg King
    ?Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.? Mark Twain
    "The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
    "A Rose by any other name will smell as sweet. But it does not follow that whatever we choose to call a Rose will possess the Rose's fragrance." BB Warfield

Quote Originally Posted by ShaggyDog View Post
    A Parnis thread in the public forum, I have a feeling that unfortunately this may not end well...
    Get the popcorn out.

Quote Originally Posted by EnderW View Post
    Still, for the price it seems like a decent option. Design is somewhat of a IWC Portuguese and Seiko Presage mix, but at least not a knock-off (pardon, "homage").
    I do think that calling it a fantastic piece is a bit of a stretch, when the same review acknowledges awful strap\buckle, metal on metal grinding noise. I do think it is a potentially attractive watch and you should enjoy it, but accuracy is at the high limit for me with 2.5min deviation in a week (20+ seconds daily)
    Re design options, agree its defo not anything super creative, but its not a replica of anything, which in my book is a +1. Re accuracy, yes dammit, I seem to have gotten the worst end of the bargain, since many get decent times out of these, hoping it will eventually settle into something a little more decent.

"Fantastic", yeah I could have used something a little more tuned down lol, but I think its a great thing when an under €100 watch can sit next to a €500 watch, without becoming an eyesore.
    Owns:
    Momentum Atlas (1M-SP)

Wants:

Good review. Some of the cheaper stuff has impressed me of late too, namely Invicta's diver and Steinhart's Ocean One Vintage. Both great watches for the respective prices paid, with quality going up as said prices increase . . .
    Attached Images Attached Images

yankeexpress likes this.
    A.Lange & Sohne * Audemars Piguet * Blancpain * Cartier * Dornblueth & Sohne * Invicta * Jaeger-LeCoultre * Meraud * Rolex * Revolution Watch Company * Tudor

"the deeper the roots, the higher the reach" - author unknown

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself. - Rumi

I thought your review was objective and well articulated. With so many overpriced, over hyped pieces out there, I enjoy reading opinions such as yours. Keep it up.

Quote Originally Posted by drhr View Post
    Good review. Some of the cheaper stuff has impressed me of late too, namely Invicta's diver and Steinhart's Ocean One Vintage. Both great watches for the respective prices paid, with quality going up as said prices increase . . .
    Nice, me likes.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer13 View Post
    I thought your review was objective and well articulated. With so many overpriced, over hyped pieces out there, I enjoy reading opinions such as yours. Keep it up.
    Thanks kind sir.
    drhr likes this.
    Owns:
    Momentum Atlas (1M-SP)

Wants:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information