My fiance wants to buy me a nice watch but thinks a Calibre 5 Aquaracer is too cheap?
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: My fiance wants to buy me a nice watch but thinks a Calibre 5 Aquaracer is too cheap?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

My fiance wants to buy me a nice watch but thinks a Calibre 5 Aquaracer is too cheap?

I thought wow, that's a nice watch...so anyway how can I kick it up a notch from this? Is some sort of Breitling an option? A Tudor Black Bay perhaps? An Aqua Terra? What are your suggestions? Bear in mind I'm looking for a classic looking, sporty (but not too heavy and toolish) 3 hand watch that comes on a leather or rubber strap and is 40-44mm, my sweet spot being 41/42mm. I'm looking to buy new with a good discount. I don't want to get into silly money, that is above 5k. I'm not a big fan of IWC. Cheers.

Re: My fiance wants to buy me a nice watch but thinks a Calibre 5 Aquaracer is too cheap?

Quote Originally Posted by Angus Johnston View Post
    I thought wow, that's a nice watch...so anyway how can I kick it up a notch from this? Is some sort of Breitling an option? A Tudor Black Bay perhaps? An Aqua Terra? What are your suggestions? Bear in mind I'm looking for a classic looking, sporty (but not too heavy and toolish) 3 hand watch that comes on a leather or rubber strap and is 40-44mm, my sweet spot being 41/42mm. I'm looking to buy new with a good discount. I don't want to get into silly money, that is above 5k. I'm not a big fan of IWC. Cheers.
    i vote black bay, but you'd have to pick-up a rubber strap. the breitling heritage super ocean is another to check out. they're both very classy divers.
    slcbbrown likes this.

Re: My fiance wants to buy me a nice watch but thinks a Calibre 5 Aquaracer is too cheap?

Yes the super ocean in blue is a beauuuuuuutiful watch.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'd go with the Aqua Terra myself, it's the kind of watch you'll be able to wear every day and perfectly transitions through all circumstances. More elegant than a Black Bay and hence more appropriate for work/dress occasions, but casual enough to wear anytime. You also get to enjoy a caseback exhibition of the movement, which is more unique than the Tudor.

Name:  23110422106001-30.jpg
Views: 776
Size:  78.7 KB

42 mm

41mm

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Omega Seamaster Professional Co-Axial 2220.80

Remember to buy a watch YOU like as you will be wearing it. The watches suggested above are all great and technically one could argue "up a notch" from the aquaracer. I was going to purchase a SMP 2220.80 as I wanted a blue faced diver to alternate with my Sub C. I ended up trying on the Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAN2111 and just loved the look of it better. The Omega is a superior watch in some respects but this is what sang to me and I wouldn't have it any other way!

Get the Tudor Black Bay, it's a beautiful, distinctive watch, that has a wonderful warmth to it. Whatever you do, don't buy the watch suggested above that is thicker proportionately than a hockey puck (the 42mm PO).

The blue 41.5mm Aqua Terra is also a nice versatile watch. I suggest giving both of these a try, and let your heart decide.
    slcbbrown likes this.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay, Black Bay GMT.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Ming 17.06; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

Quote Originally Posted by mleok View Post
    Get the Tudor Black Bay, it's a beautiful, distinctive watch, that has a wonderful warmth to it. Whatever you do, don't buy the watch suggested above that is thicker proportionately than a hockey puck (the 42mm PO).
    And exactly what is wrong with hockey pucks?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Angus Johnston View Post

You got a keeper there buddy :) she's right on the assessment of the Tag IMO... I have had a few SOH 46s and a LOT of other watches and I will say there is something special about the SOH 46 on mesh. I've had black, silver, and blue dial and seen all the other dials in person and the black is where it's at by far. Be sure to buy on bracelet then put a leather or rubber on afterwards just so you'll have the metal for the long haul as well. Your other options are good too, but that SOH is special for sure, they come in all kinds of sizes too from 38-46mm.

Last edited by inhaus; January 23rd, 2015 at 02:21.
    londonflash likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information