My first foray into mechanical watches
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: My first foray into mechanical watches

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

My first foray into mechanical watches

Hello!
    I’m not really sure if this is in the right place as I’ve just joined.

As the title of the post suggests I’m looking at buying my first ‘nice’ watch. I have a shortlist but I think I’m fairly settled on the Heuer Calibre 02 autavia, do you guys think this is a decent choice?
    I’ve read a few articles expressing concern over the height of the watch, having tried it on I didn’t like too bad (IMHO). I’ve attached a pic of it on my wrist, obviously it’s not sized to me so it’s sitting a bit too low.
    What do you think? Too big? Too shiny?!
    Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: My first foray into mechanical watches

It's an awesome piece and seems ok for your wrist size. It won't go under a shirt cuff easily, but if you don't wear it much in that situation, then go for it.
    Should be available for under $4000 new.
    Tick-tock in RoK GMT+9, no DST
    --
    Not Seiko: Parmigiania Tonda 1950, Zenith El Primero Chronomaster, Piaget Upstream, Muhle Glashutte Seebataillon GMT, Eterna Madison Spherodrive, Vulcain Cricket 1951 Classic, Bell & Ross Space 3 GMT, Bulova Accutron Astronaut (c. 1966), Omega Speedmaster triple date, Sinn 556 Anniversary LE, IWC Cal. 89 (c. 1957), Glycine Airman SST-12, Pulsar Date II (c. 1971), Scurfa Diver One, G-Shock Rangeman 9400, Vostok Classica
    Seiko: Grand Seiko SBGT035, Credor Node GCAT996, Grand Seiko 5641-7000 (1972), "Ashtray Tuna" 7C46-6009 (1987), 6139-7069 "Blue Eye" chrono (1974), 5740-8000 Lord Marvel 36'000 (1974), Bell-Matic 4006-7012 (1971), King Quartz 9223-5000 (1981), Seikomatic J13044 (1963), 6119-6400 UFO (1974), King Quartz 5855-5000 (1977), Silverwave 8221-5020 (1980), Majesta 9063-5020 (1984), SKX399K "Philippines"

The Autavia are great looking watches. Just think they are too thick and heavy.
    Today would be a good day to delete your Facebook account, Here is why:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f73/fa...l#post48047643

10 reasons to dump facebook:

https://www.komando.com/tips/527072/...cebook-in-2019

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Looks good, fits nice on the wrist. One of the things to watch out for with size as you may already know is the lug to lug distance, which is less than ideal if it starts to hang beyond the wrist. However, yours fits just right I think. I googled some side profile pictures, and it does not strike me as particularly over the top, but like others have mentioned might not be a smooth fit under the cuff.

As I am sure you know Heuer has a rich history. I think it really comes down to personal tastes, dont necessarily think you can go wrong with this one - it's a very nice watch. What do you like about this particular watch? Hesitations?

I generally prefer varying types of brushed finished, so this would be a bit too shiney for my taste. Although, I think putting it on a vintage brown leather strap might help tone that down / balance out the shine a bit.

Also, it's quite an expensive watch by most srandards. In that range you have a lot of options, but sounds like you have already done some homework. If it were me, I would gravitate to Omega (Seamaster, etc). Again though, the Heuer is great, just my personal tastes.
    Last edited by Glencoe; August 5th, 2019 at 03:53.

Too big for me but certainly a high-quality piece; if they made a smaller version I’d definitely consider buying one (if I had the money). If the size and price work for you, it’s otherwise a hard watch to argue against.

Start at the top I always say. Nice.

That’s a good looking watch. It’s large but I think it fits your wrist just fine. It will wear better when the bracelet is sized.

It shouldn't be too big, but it doesn't look right to me. I think it's wearing it all the way down by the hand...shift it above the bone and I suspect it'd look better balanced to me. But I do agree the thickness is an issue too, and that's another factor that affects the visual balance.

I have a consistent question for first-time buyers...do you really need a chronograph? Paying a great deal more up front, maintenance costs are much higher. Not saying it's wrong, it's just kinda like learning to swim by being tossed off the end of the pier...into the ocean.
    The truth is rarely pure and never simple.

Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest

Looks great on you. Love the bezel.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben- View Post
    What do you think? Too big? Too shiny?!
    Welcome to the forum!

It looks fantastic! Great size, excellent watch, can't go wrong with an Autavia. If you're worried about how shiny it looks, put it on a vintage style leather strap. Problem sloved.

Name:  Baselworld-2017-TAG-Heuer-Autavia-4-e1492512959305-900x564.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  43.6 KB

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information