My First Luxury Watch
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: My First Luxury Watch

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

My First Luxury Watch

Hi Everyone!

I've been a longtime lurker on this forum but never got registered until now when i've decided to get my first ''Luxury'' Watch.

My thoughts are going back and forth between different makes and models, Automatic or Manual wind, Brand new or Pre Owned.'

So after i booked my trip i reminded myself i need a new watch as they are bit cheaper abroad compared to here in sweden.
    I am going to Australia and Hawaii i will be away for one month in december and making a shopping list!

I am currently looking on a brand new Omega Speedmaster Proffessional which i can get for 3200 USD from an AD or 1800 Usd Pre Owned from 2008.
    I also lookin on a Tag heuer Aquaracer or Formula 1.

Lately i have been thinking maybe if i should buy a pre owned Speedmaster because its my first luxury watch, almost kinda scared having 3200 Usd on my arm and i would litteraly cry if something happened to it.
    How does the Service intervals work? is it a MUST to service the watch or just a recommendation?
    Its not like i am happy buying a watch for 3200 usd and then service a piece for 600 USD because im going back to university.
    The watch will be used in a office enviroment and on nicer occasions.

How fast does the price decrease if i buy a brand new?
    Would you recommend me buying a pre owned or brand new?
    Any other brand that you would like to recommend for a first timer?
    My goal is to have the watch all my life and pass it down.

I hope my english aint to bad for you to read as its not my first language and i also hope i get a warm welcome to the club.

Sincerely,
    Marco

My first post. My best guess is as soon as you put watch on its a used watch and lost some value. Good luck with your new watch. I only have one watch working on a second. Got a Rolex sub, I'm sure it lost value when I bought it new,but could probably get what I paid for it now over 10 years later. When I buy a watch it's for me and not looking at what it will be worth later. Hope this helps.

Re: My First Luxury Watch

Welcome Marco!
    Good luck with your vacation and watch purchase.

I bought my first luxury watch used, from a reputable AD. (2 tone Omega Seamaster). I saved quite a bit buying used. Since I had no intentions of ever reselling, I never really worried about depreciation. Now that I've been bitten by the watch bug...It is more of a priority. My own opinion is that buying used is fine provided the seller is quite reliable. Do your research and know what you are looking for prior to reaching for your wallet.

As for buying new, I did so with Resco Instruments because I wanted to be one of their customers. I had bought several of their watches used and was delighted. I chose a new watch to have exactly every detail to my preference and to have some choice in serial number. The warranty and depreciation were again unimportant to me...it was more about supporting a company I like.

I bought my Rolex used and intend to send it out for a service. With that watch, I would prefer the piece of mind to know it is authentic and totally correct. Trusting the seller in that case represented a bit of a risk...but it was the only way I could afford the watch at the time. Still, I have no regrets yet for having bought any of my watches used.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

my 2 cents, if you are really worried price then buy used from a reputable seller. secondly if it's a watch you "want to last a lifetime then why are you worried about depreciation and of course it's like a car, you're paying many thousands for a piece of fine machinery, yes it is likely to need servicing every 5 years or so. cost of ownership

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you really , truely like that watch? If so, like other things in life, just get it.

To justify the price, you can say to yourself that you'll wear it for the rest of your life (like you are currently planning to).
    So you might wear it for 80 years... Assume 5 yr service interval.
    Let's see ($3500 + ( 8 * 2 * 600) ) / ( 80 * 365) ~= (4 + 10) / (30) = 14/30 = .5 per day.

So for less than the price of a cup of coffee you can... :)
    Last edited by ctt1760; October 1st, 2015 at 03:01.

If you're in the vicinity of Singapore - buy it there.
    “If we could be satisfied with anything, we should have been satisfied long ago.”
    ― Seneca

Quote Originally Posted by ctt1760 View Post
    Do you really , truely like that watch? If so, like other things in life, just get it.

To justify the price, you can say to yourself that you'll wear it for the rest of your life (like you are currently planning to).
    So you might wear it for 80 years... Assume 5 yr service interval.
    Let's see ($3500 + ( 8 * 2 * 600) ) / ( 80 * 365) ~= (4 + 10) / (30) = 14/30 = .5 per day.

So for less than the price of a cup of coffee you can... :)

Wow ju are actually right, but now im still stuck with if i should buy preowned or not.
    The main shops that ive looked for are

In Australia = The hour Glass, Omega Boutique, Watches of Switzerland, Swiss Concept
    In US = Omega Boutique, Tourneau, Macy's

you get to start thinking alot more when comin to higher prices
    How is hesalite compared to sapphire crystal?

I am also considering buying a tag heuer mainly because they are cheaper and then buy a Speedmaster when i've graduated in about 4 years may sound like a plan aswell.

Im thankful for your inputs

I am not positive on this, but I think chrono24.com has their escrow service available for European buyers+sellers, so you may do okay searching around there for a some at decent prices. But shopping abroad is always fun.

I think a pre-owned recent model Speedmaster Professional from a reputable dealer would be a rational approach for you. Give it a good inspection and see if the dealer has the service records, or perhaps will offer a discounted authorized service upon purchase to get it up to proper specifications.
    Tick-tock in RoK GMT+9, no DST
    --
    Not Seiko: Parmigiania Tonda 1950, Zenith El Primero Chronomaster, Piaget Upstream, Muhle Glashutte Seebataillon GMT, Eterna Madison Spherodrive, Vulcain Cricket 1951 Classic, Bell & Ross Space 3 GMT, Bulova Accutron Astronaut (c. 1966), Omega Speedmaster triple date, Sinn 556 Anniversary LE, IWC Cal. 89 (c. 1957), Glycine Airman SST-12, Pulsar Date II (c. 1971), Scurfa Diver One, G-Shock Rangeman 9400, Vostok Classica
    Seiko: Grand Seiko SBGT035, Credor Node GCAT996, Grand Seiko 5641-7000 (1972), "Ashtray Tuna" 7C46-6009 (1987), 6139-7069 "Blue Eye" chrono (1974), 5740-8000 Lord Marvel 36'000 (1974), Bell-Matic 4006-7012 (1971), King Quartz 9223-5000 (1981), Seikomatic J13044 (1963), 6119-6400 UFO (1974), King Quartz 5855-5000 (1977), Silverwave 8221-5020 (1980), Majesta 9063-5020 (1984), SKX399K "Philippines"

Hi Marco, I would recommend to buy brand-new. You will likely love this watch so much that you will keep it for a very long time. I would say that servicing it is a must but you will not likely need to service it until you have owned it for 5 years or more.
    Dan.
    A. Lange & Sohne 1815 Up/Down
    H. Moser & Cie Pioneer Centre Seconds
    Jaeger-LeCoultre Reverso Tribute Small Seconds
    Officine Panerai Radiomir PAM 720
    Rolex Submariner 114060 (No Date)
    Cartier Santos WSSA0010
    Apple Watch Series 4 Nike+
    Seiko SKX007
    Seiko SKX009
    Casio G-Shock Rangeman GW-9400-1
    Casio G-Shock GA-700
    Casio G-Shock DW-5600E
    And others (not really worth mentioning)

Quote Originally Posted by MediumRB View Post
    I am not positive on this, but I think chrono24.com has their escrow service available for European buyers+sellers, so you may do okay searching around there for a some at decent prices. But shopping abroad is always fun.

I think a pre-owned recent model Speedmaster Professional from a reputable dealer would be a rational approach for you. Give it a good inspection and see if the dealer has the service records, or perhaps will offer a discounted authorized service upon purchase to get it up to proper specifications.
    Positive on brand new or pre owned? I think ill have to do lots of research on this going to my local dealer and look on it later.
    Do anyone of you recommend tag heuer because i am also considering this brand.
    Looking on a carrera in the same price range or a nicer formula 1 calibre 16

Sincerely,
    Marco

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information