My First New Watch in Eight Years (Smiths Everest)... - Page 14
Like Tree204Likes

Thread: My First New Watch in Eight Years (Smiths Everest)...

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Re: My First New Watch in Eight Years (Smiths Everest)...

Resistance was futile, mine arrived today. Ordered Sunday, only 4 days from Sheffield to Florida. The watch is beautiful, love the petite size. As others have noted, the bracelet is a mismatch. Looks too large for the watch and the clasp is an eyesore. She's been dressed more tastefully with an American alligator strap in chocolate brown and a deployent clasp.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Really a great looking watch. Might have to be my next purchase, but should I wait for it to be offered with the updated bracelet? Hm...

Quote Originally Posted by Bugster View Post
    I have the Everest 36mm and keep considering a watchgecko classic Berwick bracelet. 20mm tapering to 16mm. They also do some end link kits for it that may fit the case or possibly enable you to use the originally supplied end links. Anybody tried this?Attachment 14190573Attachment 14190575
    This bracelet should work with the solid end links that come with the Smiths. I measured mine at exactly 9mm.

Bugster likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Sharkskin today.

heavyweather likes this.

Rolling eyes Re: My First New Watch in Eight Years (Smiths Everest)...

sorry. Double post. My fault not theirs

Quote Originally Posted by Brettg View Post
    This bracelet should work with the solid end links that come with the Smiths. I measured mine at exactly 9mm.
    Thanks for that. I might have to order one once they Have the standard, brushed end links (currently out of stock). I’ve tried it on the supplied bracelet for the first time today. Clasp is too big and not enough taper plus an end link at the clasp sits funny.

when i had an explorer itch, i went with the armida gilt version... i like the hands.. dial..etc... i don't regret it, but sometimes wish i could swap it short-term for a smiths.... both really fine pieces..

As an alternative, can anyone with the 36mm version take a measurement of the distance from case edge to springbar hole? That might give me an idea of whether this will work, in the hopes there wouldn't be much if any gaps between the case and the endlink.

Quote Originally Posted by stebesplace View Post
    Has anyone put a Ginault bracelet on the 36mm Everest version? I have a bracelet collecting dust, and before I consider buying one, wanted to see if anyone's done it first?

Quote Originally Posted by yankeexpress View Post
    There is considerable difference between the 36mm and 40mm V.2 as to thickness, where the crystals are a significant part of the difference.

The 40mm V.2 measures 14.3mm, whereas the 36mm is something around 11mm thin. This is a significant difference. The 36mm looks svelte in comparison.
    Which is part of why the 36 is the winner here. An elegant watch with better proportions. Also, I believe field watches should be svelt so as not to get caught on things.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Current Rotation: Seiko SARB017, Seiko SARB035, Seiko SKX013, Seiko World Timer (c. 1970).
    Box Sitters: 1972 Zodiac Astrographic (Yeah, baby!), Patek Calatrava (I bring that out for special occasions).

It's a good looking watch, no doubt. As others have said, basically you get the "look" of a Rolex 1016 only in a brand new watch and without the price premium of a collectable. That much makes total sense to me. But I would have been more likely to buy one if it was paying homage to the original Smiths watch rather than to the Rolex. Maybe a sub second instead of central? Or full Arabic numerals rather than just 3/6/9? Something from the original Smiths watch that went up Everest rather than taking all its design cues from the Rolex would have been nice since Smiths has at least equal claim to having been the first to summit Everest.

I didn't read through all fourteen pages of this thread before posting, so my apologies if this issue has already been raised and addressed.

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread Information